Jarhead - The Movie

This is a discussion on Jarhead - The Movie within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had been looking forward to seeing the new movie, Jarhead, for quite awhile, and I had purposefully avoided reading reviews so that I could ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jarhead - The Movie

Jarhead - The Movie

I had been looking forward to seeing the new movie, Jarhead, for quite awhile, and I had purposefully avoided reading reviews so that I could enjoy it "in the raw." I saw it yesterday, and BOY was I underwhelmed.

A very close and long-time friend of mine, who recently retired from the USMC had been a captain when in Desert Storm. If you remember, we kept a few boat loads of Marines off shore and also sent a few more through the Saddam Line at the southern border to hold the Iraqis there and make them think that was the main thrust, while the bulk of our ground forces end ran 'em to the west. Well, my friend actually led one of the spearhead companies that went through the Saddam Line. He had also seen Jarhead, and his comment was simply that "the scenery is right on the money, but the story line is just stupid."

Well, I saw it Sunday, and I did enjoy seeing what those who served in Desert Storm have told me was a very accurate depiction of the terrain and other sights they saw there and what the camps looked like, but I have to tell you, I thought the story line was a flippin' joke. It had Marines flippin' out just over having been in country for a few months, standing on a berm and watching artillery rounds impact around them, shoving activated weapons down their platoonmates’ mouths, have screaming and crying TANTRUMS at superior officers, etc., ad nauseum. No, I wasn't there, and I have never been to war, but I have been around politically correct, feel-good movies for long enough to know one when I see it.

Personally, I found most (not all - a notable exception was the character played by Jamie Foxx) of the key characters to have been portrayed as of weak and low character and fiber. Even the story line had been built for the unintelligent! I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but sheesh - the whole thing was one big whine. What really struck me was the main character, who was a Marine Scout/Sniper and also one of the most self-centered and mentally weak characters I’ve ever seen – I cannot imagine that there would have been even the remotest chance on the face of the earth that a person of that tenor – a shirker who didn’t even want to be a Marine, let alone a Scout / Sniper – would end up as a Marine Scout / Sniper.

I suppose I'm so disappointed because so much could have been done with that movie, and instead, they just made it a nothing. Even with twisted politics, it could still have been enjoyable a la Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, etc., but it didn't even have much entertainment value. In short, it was with very few exceptions a thorough disappointment.

Anyone else seen this? Would love to hear your comments.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I have more respect for the USMC than to pay money at the theater to see this movie. Reviews were enough to keep me at home or elsewhere.

It was just awful, Rocky. It really was. What a great opportunity, and how horribly squandered. I can tell you this, though, I sorta had a bad feeling when I walked into the theater - on a weekend afternoon - and there were only MAYBE ten other folks there. Obviously, others are similarly convinced.

Best,
    Jon

Lead Moderator
    Anymore most of the stuff on T.V. pisses me off too. Was watching American Dad , the antii gun message sure was evident. Seems the liberal media is really pushing their agenda more than ever in the most blatant way possible to influence the masses.

If you guys are looking for a better alternative, try the new documentary "Gunners Palace". It follows a group of young men fighting in Iraq - living in Uday's palace. I saw this before Jarhead and I must say, having not read reveiws for Jarhead prior to seeing it, I was still disappointed.
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Well, I WAS going to see JARHEAD this weekend. WAS. Think I'll go see Harry Potter, instead. I've also heard that the new flick Syrianna is very good.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Well, I WAS going to see JARHEAD this weekend. WAS. Think I'll go see Harry Potter, instead. I've also heard that the new flick Syrianna is very good.
    Is that out already? They showed the teaser intro for that just before Jarhead, and it looked might intriguing.

Best,
    Jon

VIP Member
    Thanks for the review - I was wanting to see the movie.

There seems to be trends in war movies - they went from "the good guys always win to cool, heroic music" to "lets see how much gore and raw destruction we can film" to "let's show the softer side of the characters by making them look like wussies." I know soldiers are people and can be vulnerable, too, but come on, making a show of them yelling at their superiors and turning into untrained idiots?
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assistant Administrator
    Jon - thank you

I respect your comments and judgement and will make a note not to bother. Does seem like it is a very poor portrayal - much of what you mention would indeed disappoint me too.

Would be interested to know what ''behind scenes'' decisions were made to generate such a movie with this story line and chr's.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hm, now I'm kinda curious about that movie. Y'know, stare at the train wreck.

But I'll wait and just rent it on DVD.

On a side note: While reading the comments, I couldn't help but wonder what an uber-ninja elite unit you'd get if Betty was the drill instructor...
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

I'll just hit a couple of things, but ....

The way the protagonist is selected for Scout / Sniper - he's sitting on the john chugging laxative and laughing that the nurse doesn't know he's causing on purpose the diarhea that is keeping him in sick bay. The sgt comes in, shoots the breeze with him for a few seconds - no history between them AT ALL - and the next day he's out at the sniper platoon!

When the sniper / spotter team is on target and about to take the shot, a senior Marine officer comes into the hide, tells them to back off because the USAF is about to blow the target up any way, and the spotter starts balling and screaming at the officer, and ends up blabbering like a two-year-old against the wall!

It is just absolutely un-flippin-real.

What a waste. What a complete waste.

Best,
    Jon

I read the book just before I deployed to the sandbox in '04. I can tell you this, I know a ton of Lcpls. who could've written the same book. I know many Marines took this book as a slap in the face, and felt it was very dis-respectful to the Corps, but I didn't think it was meant to be. Sure, Swoff is a total shitbird, but there are lots on them in my Corps, I've learned that you can't get rid of all of 'em...

As far as Gunner's Palace, that was a joke too. Did you happen to actually watch their tactics when clearing rooms?! I am amazed any of them are still alive...

Embrace the Suck...

Semper Fidelis
    "When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    --Major General James Mattis, USMC

Semper Fi

I read the book a few years ago. Of corse the book is better, but its far from a great book. About half of the book takes place before Desert Shild. It goes way more indepth about his training.
    I know many Marines took this book as a slap in the face, and felt it was very dis-respectful to the Corps, but I didn't think it was meant to be.
    I dont think so eather. I think Swaford wrote it to show people his perspective. Noting more, nothing less.

The author of the book is known in Marine circles as a "dirtbag".

The kind of guy that makes it through, but is a menace, not a team player and a whiny ******.
    The Marshmallowist

DC Founder
    My son saw the movie last weekend and said pretty much the same thing you did. He also said it was too long....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links