GPS Prices?

This is a discussion on GPS Prices? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, looking at Radio Shack website for a GPS I noticed they had where you could click to look at a selection based on it ...

Thread: GPS Prices?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

GPS Prices?

Ok, looking at Radio Shack website for a GPS I noticed they had where you could click to look at a selection based on it being for a "Car" and they have some very inexpensive choices.
    When I clicked for a selection based on it being used for a "Motorcycle" the prices jumped several hundred dollars.

Why?

Is there really enough difference in using one driving a car than using one while driving a Goldwing to cost so much more???

Or where they thinking of trail \ off road rough riding perhaps????

Thanks for your comments....
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Waterproofing?

I'm just guessing.

Size maybe,I think I saw one a guy bought for his Harley was about 1/2 the size I have in my car
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Because it has "Harley-Davidson" stamped on it?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What are you looking for? A GPs for your car of your motorcycle?

I have both, I use a Garmin 60CS for my off roading, but I think it does have some city strrets with more available if I wanted them, then I have the Garmin street pilot c340 for my car that I bought refurbished off ebay. I did not pay more than $150 for either of them...

Your paying extra for water proofing, anti vibration, UV resistant screens ect...
    My guess is if you bought a cheeper unit you would be replacing it in a couple of months even if you managed to stay out of the rain, depending on how much you ride of course.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Ok, looking at Radio Shack website for a GPS I noticed they had where you could click to look at a selection based on it being for a "Car" and they have some very inexpensive choices.
    When I clicked for a selection based on it being used for a "Motorcycle" the prices jumped several hundred dollars.

Why?

Is there really enough difference in using one driving a car than using one while driving a Goldwing to cost so much more???

Or where they thinking of trail \ off road rough riding perhaps????

Thanks for your comments....
    It may be more expensive for a Motorcycle (don't know), but wherever you get it ...RatShack will be more expensive. They charge by the arm and leg. Shop around
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    It'd be for both - My motorcycle is a Honda Goldwing - no off roading there. Sounds like if I can get a good way to mount it - a cheaper one designed for a car might be more practicle and just pocket it if it starts raining.

Quote Originally Posted by andersmg View Post
    What are you looking for? A GPs for your car of your motorcycle?

For God, Family and Country!

You need to find one that you like that will do what you want for your best price. shop the entire WWW before you buy. I have had good luck on ebay. I prefer the garmins as do a lot of folks I know but that does not mean they are the best.

When you find one you like go to this site and see if they have a mount for it:
    RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

I have bought a few mounts from them and they are nice.

Lead Moderator
    If you decide you just want to "bite the bullet" on price, the Garmin 60 C(S)x is one of the best systems currently on the market. The Cx model would probably satisfy your needs.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    It may be more expensive for a Motorcycle (don't know), but wherever you get it ...RatShack will be more expensive. They charge by the arm and leg. Shop around
    Not always true. I picked up a MooV 310 a couple weeks ago from them. Text to Speech, 4.3" without traffic updates for $169. Given the features it has and size it was a good deal. I have been very happy with the unit. Mind your, it is a car unit, not a motorcycle.

If you live in an area that gets a lot of rain you can put a plastic bag over the gps to keep the water off of it.

Ditto on the RAM MOUNT.
    Keep your powder dry

I currently own a Garmin 60c that I use off roading and a refurbished garmin C340 that I bought off ebay from this same guy:
    GARMIN STREETPILOT c340 AUTOMOTIVE Talking GPS V9 Maps - eBay (item 160264672649 end time Jul-24-08 1124 PDT)

Links