Do you use a radar detector?

This is a discussion on Do you use a radar detector? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Speed Trap Exchange Find out before you go....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a radar detector?

The Speed Trap Exchange
    Find out before you go.

2. Remove Ads

Use it all the time.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Because law abiding citizens don't actively plot ways to break the law without consequence. Once they do, they're no longer law abiding citizens.

They break the law all the time.
    Of course I'm going to scheme, plot and plan.
    I'm an American. I was born from Revolutionaries.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I had one save me at least once. I was in a striped yellow zone and pulled out to pass a few people on a stretch in the desert (they were going below the speed limit). The radar detector went off so I pulled back into line. About 30 seconds later a highway patrol came from the other direction.

The cheap detectors don't work well, you have to spend money to get the valentines or another brand I can't remember right now. You also have to keep them on all the time, especially for your normal routes. You eventually learn where all the false alarms are and know when there's a real threat. They are especially helpful for the mobile photo radars vans.

You also can't be going like a bat out of hell, because no radar detector will help then. If you're going a little bit faster than the rest of traffic a detector will help. For those long desert trips it's best to follow somebody else and stay about 1/4 mile behind them. The cops will radar them and your detector will see it giving you time to slow down.

I don't use them anymore, mine eventually broke from wear and tear.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    If you are going to use one place in front of the steering wheel on the windshield. So when it beeps to tell you are getting pulled over, you can lean forward and disconnect it and put under your seat before the LEO walks up to the car. So not to insult him and better chance of talking your way out of the ticket.
    Make sure you put your seat belt on while you're at it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Never had a radar detector, I just set the cruise control, it's good enough for me.

BTW you ought to check your speedometer for accuracy, they are definitely off sometimes. You can check your speed using the mile markers and a second-hand, then do the math. Or use your GPS speed, I've found those pretty much accurate and match the math method.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Mine works like a champ. I have one of those quality stealth models that has sensors in the grill and on the back license plate. The unit itself is installed in the unused lower portion of a double-din radio faceplate. It can smell bacon from over a mile away, depending on terrain features, leaving plenty of time to slow down. It also detects laser, but if you get hit by a laser it's too late. I have had mine go off from deflected light, but that was only once.

They do make laser jammers that work, but may not be legal in your state. I may get one of these, next, since most of the highway patrol and even city units are switching over to them. They basically use LEDs or lasers to diffuse the incoming laser beam such that it doesn't get reflected back to the sendning unit.

Oh yeah exactlymypoint, I especially like to use it when I'm going through Oregon. WTH is wrong with you all down there. Some places on I-84 are a freaking straight away for miles on end through the middle of the desert with zero population around and the speed limit is 65? Give us a break :)

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Make sure you put your seat belt on while you're at it.
    Who would be silly enough not to wear a seat belt?

I once read a book called a Speeder guide to avoid tickets. Great line from the book is that LEO can spot the lights from a radar detector at night because it is in the center of windshield. So he decides to play a game. LEO stayw behind the vehicle and hit the radar gun and watch the person slam on the brakes and look around looking for LEO and never bother to looks in rear view mirror. When the driver thinks the coast is clear he speeds back up. So he hits the radar gun again and again driver hits the brakes again, this goes on for miles until LEO get tired of game and pulls driver over and gives a few tickets. Game over

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Who would be silly enough not to wear a seat belt?

I once read a book called a Speeder guide to avoid tickets. Great line from the book is that LEO can spot the lights from a radar detector at night because it is in the center of windshield. So he decides to play a game. LEO stayw behind the vehicle and hit the radar gun and watch the person slam on the brakes and look around looking for LEO and never bother to looks in rear view mirror. When the driver thinks the coast is clear he speeds back up. So he hits the radar gun again and again driver hits the brakes again, this goes on for miles until LEO get tired of game and pulls driver over and gives a few tickets. Game over
    I'm just playing with you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

no...don't trust them, they will get me in trouble every time.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

With the cost of diesel being the way it is, I "can't afford to do the time", so I don't do the crime.

I can get 2 extra mpg by going 55, so I don't speed anymore, and usually don't go above 60 mph on the interstate.....

(sigh...., I used to dream about getting a nice muscle car when I reached middle age, but now I dream of getting a Prius and 48 mpg.)

All the time...

If asked by LE, why? I would use the same words used by them when disarming people. "For your safety and mine."

Stay armed...know the limit...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't use one.

Tired of living on the edge.

Time to slow down.

Trying to relax and learn to enjoy life a little more.

Still trying.

I was on the road installing and servicing telephone systems in the 80s & 90s and had one save my @ on more than one occasion, never hit the road without it. Did have a state trooper come up behind me one night and turn his unit on, man did I jump (I was about 9.5 over), he pulled up beside me, turned his interior light on so I could see him laughing and then just pulled on away.

There was one place on my way to the company office on a dual lane highway where local sheriff’s deputies would sit in a driveway and “shoot” radar through a gap in the shrubs and nail people coming into the county. On my way to the office (50 miles from home) one morning in my service truck I started to pass a yuppie in a black BMW, when he saw he was being passed by a “work truck” he sped up. So I fell back behind him and maintained my usual 10-15 over until I started to overtake him and again pulled into the left lane to pass, he again sped up and I returned to the right lane. This happened 4 more times; as we approached the speed trap I started getting the first beep on my detector about a half mile from the trap, so I sped up to pass, he accelerated, I dropped from 5th to 4th and floored it, I could see him stomp his accelerator and we were off to the races. As we approached the trap we were going 85 in a 55 and I HIT the brakes and he flew on into the trap, the deputy had his lights on and pulling out as I went by, the yuppie knew he was caught and was slowing and pulling over as I caught up to him, I slowed so I could give him a big smile and wave as I went by. Yea, my bad…..but man I really enjoyed that

Radar detectors work great. I've never had to make a police officer follow me any significant distance to pull me over because my detector always warned me that I'd been caught.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links