Do you use a radar detector?

This is a discussion on Do you use a radar detector? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 Hold on there partner! I use a radar detector all the time. Do I sometimes push the limit when going to ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do you use a radar detector?

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Hold on there partner! I use a radar detector all the time. Do I sometimes push the limit when going to work on a two-lane with just a car or two in view in either direction? You betcha, I hardly view driving 5 or 10 over and using a RD as anything even close to being an outlaw.
    That is my point. Some laws are viewed as not 'even close to being an outlaw.' And you decide what those laws are. How about carrying a concealed weapon where it is illegal? Is that close to being an outlaw? If we bring that topic up here it is quickly closed because it is ILLEGAL. Which is worse, carring a gun illegally or violating traffic laws? Why?

You've never tasted a grape at the supermarket?
    No. I wouldn't eat any fruit without thoroughly washing it. Many supermarkets encourage tasting t help sell their products.

You have never spit on the sidewalk?
    EEEuuuwwww! Yuck.

You come to a complete stop at each and every stop sign? Never a one mph over the limit?
    I never suggested that I never break the law. I am only shining the light of truth that using a radar detector is an overt measure to circumvent the law.

My radar detector has sometimes given my notice that I was going above the limit when I didn't realize I was pushing it.
    For a forum that recognizes the importance of situational awareness are you saying that you are caught unaware of your speed?

I say this respectfully, but "Give me a break!" There's breaking the law, and then there's breaking the law.
    Exactly. You are saying that some laws can (and perhaps should) be violated. And other laws are really breaking the law.

This forum does not want anyone to promote breaking the law...I agree, but let us not be the pot calling the kettle black...
    It's not the pot calling the kettle black. I would only suggest that radar detectors are used for sole purpose of not being caught while breaking the law.

Again, no disrespect or slam sent your way...OMO...others wil vary.
    No problem. I just find it hypocritical that a subset of a membership that prides itself on being law abiding citizens condones violating laws that they may find inconvenient.

Make no mistake, I am no 'goody two shoes.' But I also don't think it is a good idea to plot methods and acquire technology to circumvent the law.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    But I also don't think it is a good idea to plot methods and acquire technology to circumvent the law.
    The technology is not illegal (in most states, at least). The OP didn't ask about breaking the law, and in fact when out of his way to point out that he obeys the speed limits.

The notion that buying or owning a legal device (radar detector) is unsavory because you are just going to break the law holds about as much water as the Brady bunch talking about CCW holders just being people who haven't broken the law yet, or the RIAA wanting to cripple your electronics because youmight use them to make an unlawful recording.

And just to get into the spirit of things, I jaywalk and I'm proud of it!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I personally think speed traps are an unconstitutional effort to collect more taxes from an already taxed to the hilt population. It's called entrapment. They don't take into account the spirit of the law, which is to keep people safe, not generate revenue. Like those red light cameras I read about somewhere in Texas, they took them down after they stopped making money from them, proving they don't give a rip about your safety.

That's not to say that people who are driving dangerously do not deserve a ticket, rather that dangerous is a relative term. Just because someone is driving 10 over the limit does not mean they are driving dangerously. I think that there should be a tiered drivers license, based on skills exhibited in a drivers test. For example, if you are old, can't turn your head around, can't see too well and have the reflexes of a slug, you probably won't do too well on the test and could get a license rated for 45 mph. Then, if you get pulled over for driving dangerously and your going 55, you get the ticket. I also think that if you are over 65, you should be required to take a driven test every year. I've seen so many accidents caused by little old blue hairs that have less business being behind the wheel than a drunk who blew a .28.

In WA, our highways were designed to be driven on at 70 mph. Then, during the glorious Carter presidency and the ensuing phony gas crisis, they lowered the speed limit to 55, thinking it would save a bunch of gas. This proves that it is just an arbitrary number forced upon us by the powers that be. I don't remember voting for that one.

Hell, use the autobahn for an example. The Germans don't seem to have a problem with it.

If you can't tell by now, I am extremely against the nanny state. I don't like the govt. telling you that you need to wear a seatbelt, helmet etc., just so they can fine you when they catch you w/o. What's next, are they going to force you to wear sunscreen when you are outdoors, then fine you $150 when you aren't? The sun can cause skin cancer, ya know.

Rant mode off.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links