Carpel Tunnel?? Really?

This is a discussion on Carpel Tunnel?? Really? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have been getting some numbness in my hands the last couple of months and I thought it was because of a circulation problem. They ...

Thread: Carpel Tunnel?? Really?

Thumbs down Carpel Tunnel?? Really?

I have been getting some numbness in my hands the last couple of months and I thought it was because of a circulation problem. They would go to sleep while I rode my bicycle, while I cut up veggies for a salad, while I was doing all kinds of things. But I could lower them and shake them and they would wake back up so to speak.

I went to the Doc and she sends me to have a Carpel Tunnel test. All the while I am thinking she just wasn't listening to me.

So I had the tests today and you know what. I have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome! Yay me!

And the Neurologist who did the test says, it was probably the weight lifting I do 5 times a week that caused it. Bonus!

So now I will probably have to have Carpel Tunnel surgery on both hands/wrists to fix this.

And just to top things off, I had to go to the VA center for a re-evaluation on my knees, which is why I was medically discharged from the US Navy in 1993, and they tell me after having me fill out a 4 page survey, that I am exhibiting 5 signs of Gulf War Syndrome and I have to have a special diagnostic exam on the 26th of Aug to see how bad it is.

So, I took the day off from work so I could repeatedly be told by a series of Doctors that I have lots of problems.

I get in good shape, lose 160 pounds, start lifting weights, and then thins hits. I seem to be some kind of walking punch line for the universe or something....Jeez.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

In a former career I was a sign language interpreter, and CT syndrome is a big concern in that field, so I can tell you from experience of acquaintances of mine.

If you are great with pain then get them done when you can, if you are not great with pain get them done at the same time or you'll never go back for the other one.

When you are done, do all the PT you can get because it will help you recover and prevent problems.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I had it in both hands. Get the surgery before it gets real bad.

Surgery is quick and easy nowadays. Healing is quick too. I have had no problems since sugery. Last one done was in 2001. First one done in 1987. I lived in misery for over 15 years because I could not afford the surgery on the second hand. I lost my healthcare insurance after the first surgery was done (left that job).
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I agree, have the surgery. I had it done about 5 years ago and no more problems. I would suggest have them done one at a time though. A friend of mine had both of her's done at the same time. Not fun at all.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

The Doc told me that the surgery is outpatient now, but did not go into detail about what the surgery entails.

Anyone who has had it, please fill me in because I was already leaning towards just getting it done instead of messing around with the stupid braces. If I can just get it fixed, I want it fixed.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    My Wife had CTS bilaterally too.

She read this thread and says "tell him to get it done post haste". The longer you wait, the lower the success rate.

Operations were outpatient and took ~1.5 hrs each (including all the prep and post-op time). Bandaged up for a week. My Wife did them on a Thursday and went back to work on Monday.

Don't do both at once because then you won't be able to use either hand for a few days. Space them out by a month or so (Dr. should give you advice here) such that one is healed when you get the other operated on.

Good luck.

There are more than one way of getting it done. Mine was done by an actual neuro surgeon so I feel I got as good a sugery as can be had.

His method was simple.

Wrap arm entire arm tightly in stretch bandage. Insert IV into hand and drip a lot of lidocaine into arm. Release bandage from arm. Arm is immediately completely numb. More numb than you can imagine. I think this is called the 'Bier Block" method, or something similar.
    There are no injections to the nerve in your armpit as they used to do. That may be a method still, called a nerve block, but my doctor did not use this method.

Once numb you get a little bit of sleepy medicine and you will fall asleep lightly. I woke up a couple of times during surgery, tried to see what he was doing but my arm was covered by the green curtain. I fell asleep again.

After you are numbed, the doc will make one or two very small incisions to your "wrist". Actually not at the wrist, more on the palm of your hand closest to your wrist. He will insert an endoscope and his tool to cut the tendon that is depressing the median nerve. This releases the cause of your problems.

When I woke up, still a numb arm, it had only been about 45 minutes of surgery. I was wheeled into the recovery room where I stayed for maybe an hour. Then I was wheeled outside to my awaiting ride.

All day long the arm is mostly numb. takes hours to get all the feeling back. You will then feel some pain in the hand, not bad. You will have pain meds for it. You will need it.

You wont be able to button or unbutton your clothes for a few days. Buttoning your pants is almost impossible and hurts.

After the first week you will start to be able to use the hand more and the pain will diminish. It will ache for a couple more weeks on and off. It will feel week for a while until you get the strength back in it.

When its all over and healed there wont even be a scar if the doc is good at stitching. You cannot even tell my hand was ever cut.

I still have a one inch scar from my first surgery back in 1987 when they actually cut the hand open for access. That surgery was much worse than the current methods.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

Thanks Tally XD. I appreciate the info.

And LenS, tell your wife I said thanks to her as well. I am thinking the same thing. I need to get this done before it gets any worse and just forget messing around with the stupid braces. Everyone tells me they don't do anything anyway.

I am not going to stop lifting so I don't see this getting any better. I may as well go ahead and get it taken care of for good.

Thanks to everyone who posted.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Have you spoken to a good chiropractor? I too had same feeling in fingers and would drop things every once and awhile. He had me take one hand and wrap around the wrist of the other and while pushing up the bones (opening the canal ) open and close the hand into a fist several times couple of times aday. It worked for me. There are two types of people in this world People who beleive 1000% in chiro and those who have no been in enough pain to go see one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Have you spoken to a good chiropractor? I too had same feeling in fingers and would drop things every once and awhile. He had me take one hand and wrap around the wrist of the other and while pushing up the bones (opening the canal ) open and close the hand into a fist several times couple of times aday. It worked for me. There are two types of people in this world People who beleive 1000% in chiro and those who have no been in enough pain to go see one yet.
    I have tried chiro for many things. Not one of which was ever helped by chiro techniques. Might be because the treatment wasnt administered at the first signs of problems, cant say.

Links