Jerry Lewis cited for having gun in carryon at airport

This is a discussion on Jerry Lewis cited for having gun in carryon at airport within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Any preferential treatment here? Link to story Las Vegas police say 82-year-old Jerry Lewis cited for having gun in carryon at airport 5:56 PM EDT, ...

Any preferential treatment here?

Link to story
    Las Vegas police say 82-year-old Jerry Lewis cited for having gun in carryon at airport

5:56 PM EDT, July 29, 2008
    LAS VEGAS (AP) _ Police say they have confiscated a gun belonging to Jerry Lewis that was found in the 82-year-old entertainer's carryon bag as he prepared to fly to Detroit from Las Vegas.

Las Vegas policeman Bill Cassell said Tuesday that the actor was cited Friday for carrying an unloaded concealed weapon at the Las Vegas airport.

Lewis' manager, Claudia Marghilano, says the handgun is a hollowed-out prop gun that Lewis sometimes twirls during his show. She tells The Associated Press that the gun couldn't fire.

Marghilano says Lewis didn't know the gun was in the bag along with other props. Cassell says if the gun were merely a prop "it wouldn't be a weapon and we couldn't cite him for carrying a weapon."
    NRA Member

I will have to see more info wouldn't be the first time a non gun was taken until they determined it was a prop or toy,the fact it was unloaded and no bullets might possibly cause me to lean toward the prop story,I realise these people fly a lot but you need to know what you are transporting in your luggage
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I thought he was honorary French, what in the World would he be doing with a gun?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by AP story
    Cassell says if the gun were merely a prop "it wouldn't be a weapon and we couldn't cite him for carrying a weapon."
    I'm going to have to call BS on that statement right there...

TSA and Airport officials often go way, way overboard, just like the public schools that suspend and expel 8 yr old students for drawing a picture of a gun; and then try to convince sane people that the "drawing or picture of a gun" is just as dangerous as the gun itself. Or kids who bring to school a plastic key chain gun or knife the got in a gum ball machine and again espouse the "zero tolerance" lame doctrine.

I don't know if the gun was real or not... but LVPD Bill Cassell can peddle that crap elsewhere...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

TSA and Airport officials often go way, way overboard, just like the public schools that suspend and expel 8 yr old students for drawing a picture of a gun; and then try to convince sane people that the "drawing or picture of a gun" is just as dangerous as the gun itself. Or kids who bring to school a plastic key chain gun or knife the got in a gum ball machine and again espouse the "zero tolerance" lame doctrine.

I don't know if the gun was real or not... but LVPD Bill Cassell can peddle that crap elsewhere...

Tru Dat. I'll bet these yahoos would still call it a weapon for having a serial number, even if the cylinders and barrel were plugged with lead.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Poor Jerry.

I would have to agree too, no way TSA would "not cite" just because it is non-firing. You can still hijack a plane with a gun that does not fire.
    Last edited by philman; July 30th, 2008 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Beasue a spel like crap

I had one of those little round screwdrivers on my keychain and the TSA agent confiscated it. He stated it was a screwdriver and therefore not allowed on. I tried to convince him that the KEY next to it would do more damage than the screwdriver, but to no avail.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

Quote Originally Posted by 1SGCasey View Post
    I had one of those little round screwdrivers on my keychain and the TSA agent confiscated it. He stated it was a screwdriver and therefore not allowed on. I tried to convince him that the KEY next to it would do more damage than the screwdriver, but to no avail.
    You tried to convince a TSA agent? Gutsiest move I ever saw Maverick Its a wonder he didn't take your keys away.

Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post

Any preferential treatment here?

I'd prefer to hope that it's a glimmer of common sense instead.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

TSA...plastic guns?
    TSA won't let you board with a T-shirt and a gun picture on it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    TSA...plastic guns?
    TSA won't let you board with a T-shirt and a gun picture on it.
    Could be worse I suppose. Try boarding with a picture of a prophet on it and see how far you get...

then again...I don't worry about it because I don't fly anymore unless ABSOLUTELY necessary(as in life or death situation). I don't think I've flown more than once since this Abominable Snowman (TSA) started up.

edit:
    What would happen if we all refused to fly? Kinda hard to pay the Abominable Snowman to "protect" air travelers if there aren't any air travelers.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Could be worse I suppose. Try boarding with a picture of a prophet on it and see how far you get...
    I want to try to fly wearing one of those infidel shirts (), no that is not me in the pic.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Links