Tell me about Indiana...

This is a discussion on Tell me about Indiana... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mainly the Indianapolis area and regions within 1 hour commute to Indianapolis. I can find all the CCW/Firearms laws, but what are some nice areas ...

Thread: Tell me about Indiana...

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Tell me about Indiana...

Mainly the Indianapolis area and regions within 1 hour commute to Indianapolis.

I can find all the CCW/Firearms laws, but what are some nice areas to live in, looking to rent for the first year and I'd like to keep rent under $900 a month if possible.

I've applied for a new job with positions across the US, and Indi. is one of them that I selected as a desired location.

I have no idea if I'm going to get the job or not and the employer is no known for hiring quickly, so I don't know when I'll be hearing anything, I'd say I've got an above average chance of getting the job, but as I got to select five possibilities for location, who knows where we might end up.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    JD,

As far as I can tell, Indy seems to be a fairly nice place to live. I live in the southern end of the state, and enjoy it. I'm originally from NJ, and the difference in freedom was awesome.

There is an active gun blogging community that seems to be based out of Indy, that hold monthly get togethers. I haven't had the chance to attend one, but it seems like it would be fun.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Administrator
    I've never lived there, but I have done a lot of work and been there for training on several occasions.

Indy proper is a crime ridden hole (not unlike many other large cities); but there are some really nice affordable areas outside of town that would be great for a family. The neat thing about the area is it gets really rural really quick, so there are some nice farm towns within a easy commute to the city.

I do have a good friend who just transfered there with the FBI, I can ask specific question through him if nobody here chimes in.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I couldn't handle it... imagine... no Daylight Savings Time.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Im the opposite of FF4884. I'm originally from IN and now live in NJ. There are a lot of good areas well within a hour commute of Indy. I'm more familiar with the northern side of the state. Two areas you might consider would be Fishers and Noblesville. Muncie has some good areas but that, depending on traffic would be close to your commute limit(usually about 35-40 minutes IIRC, but I never drove it during commute times). My info is dated, as I haven't lived there for bout 10 years now(since enlisting) and I last went there in 2006. But those areas were pretty much how I remembered them. YMMV.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Within an hour there is a lot of very rural area, can't give you much info on town names and stuff. I have friends that live in the south part, and friends that went to school in the northern part, both of those areas are pretty nice. I wouldn't live in Indy proper though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

JD this is right up my alley!

I was born and raised in one of the most beautiful, picturesque, and generally nice small towns in Indiana. The town is named Cloverdale, it is approximately 45 to 50 minutes from Indianapolis right on I-70 West of Indianapolis, in the Southern end of Putnam County.

Map Quest link to map of Cloverdale Indiana

It is a beautiful little town, often referred to as the "Mayberry" of the Mid-West. It has excellent schools, low crime and easy access to I-70. It is only 15 miles from the county seat of Greencastle where you will find Big Box stores such as Walmart, Lowes and the like.

If you are interested in hearing more, PM me and I will give you my home email address and tell you everything you want to know from the perspective of someone who grew up there and had a great childhood there.

Until then, you can look at the town website HERE .

Let me know if you want to know more.

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    I couldn't handle it... imagine... no Daylight Savings Time.
    By the way, that is not true now. Last year Indiana officially switched to Daylight savings time but, for some reason decided to standardize their time on Eastern time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Thanks TN, I'll be contacting you later to get some more info out of you.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    By the way, that is not true now. Last year Indiana officially switched to Daylight savings time but, for some reason decided to standardize their time on Eastern time.
    Oh that's beautiful! The sun sets at 2130 in western Indiana now!
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    TN...

most of the state is standardized on EST. A few counties to the far north near Chicago (I think) and a few counties in the southwest (I know) are still CST.

Makes it fun to try and catch a flight out of Indy or Louisville!

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Yeah, I remember that now Firefighter....pretty interesting state. I love it there. Just don't know if I could ever stand an Indiana winter after living in the South for 15 years.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Tell me about Indiana

I live a little southwest of Bloomington. We have banking offices on the north side of Indianapolis just off I-465 and on the southside at Greenwood just west of I-65. While I am not too familiar with the Indianapolis metro area, it appears from our employees in the metro area that the north and northeast sides are a little more costly to live. The Greenwood on the south and Avon/Plainfield area might be somewhat less costly. What little I have travelled to Greenwood and the Avon/Plainfield areas, I sure do not see anything wrong with them and there does seem to be plenty of activity and growth.

My wife lived in Franklin for awhile and it seemed like a nice town. Is Greenwood the town that has Center Grove High School? If so that seems like a nice place as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    ...I love it there. Just don't know if I could ever stand an Indiana winter after living in the South for 15 years.
    I think the Lifetime CCW permit would trump a few bad winters!

But that's just me. I still live in Mo. About the same winters here by comparison.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links