Password Program - Page 2

Password Program

This is a discussion on Password Program within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thanks for all the responses. Now I gotta get busy and do some research. Firefox works most of the time. But there are some that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Password Program

Thanks for all the responses. Now I gotta get busy and do some research.

Firefox works most of the time. But there are some that just won't save I think it's in the code.

I do have a password program I've used for years but it's not automatic. I'm looking for something that is. What I usually run into is a site like my bank that I've used for so long with Firefox I just don't remember the password. Then they update the site and the page is no longer the same so Firefox does not recognize it.

The password requirements now are getting pretty ridiculous too. I keep getting screens like "Sorry, passwords must have at least 1 number, 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase character and be at least 8 characters long".

Thanks again,

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

VIP Member
    Roboform looks for keywords on the page and gives you the opportunity to have it input the username and password. If there key words are not there it is a simple click to have it fill the blanks. It also has a password generator. It works with IE and Firefox.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Firefox uses a master password to encrypt your stored form info. IE does not.

And for those people who keep passwords in a simple file, you should really invest in some crypto software. Encrypt the text file you use to save your info, then at least you are down to one password to remember.
    I did not know that, cool.

I keep EVERYTHING on my roboform. Credit card data, SSN's, medication of family, e-mail and login passwords for client web sites, tons of stuff.

EMP
    1password for the mac and iPhone users on the board...
    Roboform for the windows users...

Those be the best of the best IMHO. I use 1password everyday, all day to submit passwords for my testing of web applications.
    “It is better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared.” ~ Whitney M. Young, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    Firefox works most of the time. But there are some that just won't save I think it's in the code.
    Actually, there's nothing that a page designer can put in a web page to make a browser do anything. I know what you mean about Firefox not saving some passwords, though, and I am not sure how that works. It may have something to do with Firefox honoring privacy policies, but I am not sure. It may also have to do with the ID given to the form entries (that is, if it isn't called something obvious like "name" and "password", Firefox may not treat it as such). It is a bit frustrating; for me, though, it's a pretty small number of sites, at least...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I have used KeePass for several years:
    - password storage
    - password generator
    - allows you to copy and paste username and password then removes it from clipboard after the paste
    - FREE

KeePass Password Safe

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    The password requirements now are getting pretty ridiculous too. I keep getting screens like "Sorry, passwords must have at least 1 number, 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase character and be at least 8 characters long".
    One of my favorites is

Zxcvbnm1

Eazzy peezy

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Easy.

Select a place you remember well, and the year you were there.

example: Iraq1991

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Easy.

Select a place you remember well, and the year you were there.

example: Iraq1991
    I used to do things like that, but for several years now I've tried to use a different password for each site. That way if a site gets hacked the password they stole will only affect that site.

I've mixed my passwords up since the beginning, almost random and many times I'll use spaces, or other uncommon characters like _#$!%&* to throw off the brute force programs. Eventually they'll stumble across it but I want them to have to work on it.

I've actually been locked out of a few accounts before because someone was trying to hack in on my user name and password.

Thanks again for all the ideas and references.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links