Looks like Pooh stole his last honeypot...

This is a discussion on Looks like Pooh stole his last honeypot... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Too bad they had to put him down. At least he won't starve anymore. Bear stuck in jug is shot - CNN.com...

Thread: Looks like Pooh stole his last honeypot...

Looks like Pooh stole his last honeypot...

Too bad they had to put him down. At least he won't starve anymore.

Bear stuck in jug is shot - CNN.com
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

They could shoot it but couldn't tranquilize it?

They shot it, in part because they didn't want it to get hit by a car?

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    They could shoot it but couldn't tranquilize it?

They shot it, in part because they didn't want it to get hit by a car?

Yeah I was kinda wondering about that, but they did try:
    In the six days that followed the initial sighting of the bear, officials tried to trap it and tranquilize it in numerous locations, but to no avail.

By the time the animal showed up in Frazee, conservation officers decided it needed to be killed to avoid conflicts with humans.
    I figure when it showed up the last time they probably figured it best to go ahead and shoot it, then to have it get away again while they wait for someone with a tranq-gun.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

They've been having problems with one that's been causing trouble around my grandmother and aunts properties (they live next-door to each other on around 20acres each). The darn thing keeps getting into everything and they spot it regularly getting into stuff in the back yard where the kids play during the day etc... He even got up on the roof of the house. The local game wardens have tried everything to get rid of him, but at this point he's become a danger to everyone in that area and they've effectively ok'd folks to shoot him on sight. I may camp out a night or two up there one of the next few weekends with the rifle. Don't know yet. Depends on the work schedule at this point.

-The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    They've been having problems with one that's been causing trouble around my grandmother and aunts properties (they live next-door to each other on around 20acres each). The darn thing keeps getting into everything and they spot it regularly getting into stuff in the back yard where the kids play during the day etc... He even got up on the roof of the house. The local game wardens have tried everything to get rid of him, but at this point he's become a danger to everyone in that area and they've effectively ok'd folks to shoot him on sight. I may camp out a night or two up there one of the next few weekends with the rifle. Don't know yet. Depends on the work schedule at this point.
    Good luck, if you do get him you might want to check this website

Bear Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Good luck, if you do get him you might want to check this website

Bear Recipes
    Well, the only problem is that it's so darn hot out. I don't think I'd get him cleaned fast enough before spoiling. Someone's got to take him though before he gets one of the kids by mistake or something. At some point the good folks would like for their kids to be able to play outside again...my grandmother too. Otherwise I wouldn't mess with it, but he's been coming around and causing trouble while people are clearly around. I would like to be able to put him in the freezer though and not have it go to waste if he's got to be shot. That's a lot of meat to move in a real short period of time though...and I'm not sure about that with the game warden either. They said it was ok to shoot it, but didn't mention if it was keepable or if they had to come take it away because of it being a nuisance bear or something. I guess I'll have to call and confirm with them on the legalities.

-The Mist (2007)

That's like when I called the game warden about an alligator that had babies in the pond behind my house. He said to forget that I ever called him and he would also forget about it and to take care of the problem myself. He was too busy with all the others he had reports on.

Somebody is getting a new rug for in front of the fireplace.

This sorta pisses me off.

I'm not against hunting by no means, but they could have tranquilized it. Supposedly they shot it because they were concerned it my knock over a child or get hit by a car.

I think they are more worried about what would happen to the car and the people inside it than the welfare of the bear. Could do some serious damage. Worse than hitting a deer, I'd imagine. They are kind of hard to see in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Forscythe87 View Post
    This sorta pisses me off.

I'm not against hunting by no means, but they could have tranquilized it. Supposedly they shot it because they were concerned it my knock over a child or get hit by a car.
    Again...re-read the original article or my post#3. They tried to tranq it multiple times. The question is...if its wandering into a crowd of people and the game folks missed with the tranq multiple times...are you going to wait for it to become a danger to folks...my answer..probably not. I don't like that it had to be shot, but it happens. Human life is valued more than animal, at least the non-murdering/thieving/raping ones anyway.

-The Mist (2007)

Links