OK, gotta Vent - General Motors

This is a discussion on OK, gotta Vent - General Motors within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; DETROIT — General Motors is cutting warranty terms on all 2009 Saab vehicles it sells in the U.S. to conserve money. Previously, Saabs have been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DETROIT — General Motors is cutting warranty terms on all 2009 Saab vehicles it sells in the U.S. to conserve money.

Previously, Saabs have been sold with a standard five-year/100,000-mile warranty. That has been changed to a four-year/50,000-mile warranty. Saab will continue to provide free scheduled maintenance for three years or 36,000 miles.

The decision to slash the warranty terms only applies to the Saab brand and GM's other premium brands, such as Cadillac and Hummer.

GM did not disclose how much money it would save because of the new warranty terms at Saab.
    OK, is anyone at GM that is older than 10 in charge? That ought to make all the SAAB and Cadillac dealers happy and bolster confidance in buying any GM product.

Heh...yeah one would think that if you're only warranting your product for 50k miles that you're not exactly up to par on your reliability.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Brilliant!

We'll take the most expensive cars, which typically sell to the most demanding customers, and we'll give them less warranty than our inexpensive high-volume cars that are manufactured to lower tolerances and more likely to break.

Brilliant!
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    They stopped paying dividends on their stock, too.

I'm no stock expert, but I think it would be way over due to dump any of their stock.

I mean lets see, can't make a car that gets more than about 35 MPG (that's not nearly good enough, 75 MPG is a good start), they are now advertising some of their vehicle on how far it will go on a tank of gas, not even mentioning the MPG...Can't sell anything that they have...posting record losses...now we are saying, "hey buy our car, but not only is there no guarantee we will be here to support a warranty, but on some models, we guarantee we won't". Holy CRAP!!!!

Living in a GM town, its frightening, the most frightening thing I have seen in my lifetime (the condition of the economy and GM)

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Brilliant!

We'll take the most expensive cars, which typically sell to the most demanding customers, and we'll give them less warranty than our inexpensive high-volume cars that are manufactured to lower tolerances and more likely to break.

Brilliant!
    I'm not sure Saabs are in the first category!!!

Quote Originally Posted by philman View Post
    I'm no stock expert, but I think it would be way over due to dump any of their stock.
    The stock is currently trading at about half what it was in 1962 ... nearly half a decade, IIRC, prior to seat belts becoming standard at GM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

What GM and all the other companies fail to realize is, that by sending almost all the jobs out of this country, they are doing away with a class of people that used to be able to afford their vehicles. They are getting labor for a fraction of the cost, but the cost of their product continues to rise.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    I'm not sure Saabs are in the first category!!!
    I think it depends on the region - around here they're a luxury car. They cost as much as a Cadillac too...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

This is a good thing.

If the extended warranty is so important to consumers that they stop purchasing GM vehicles, then sales will drop off, which means the price will decrease which means more people will be able to afford them. If eliminating the extended warranty allows people who would otherwise be prohibited from purchasing the vehicle due to cost to purchase them, then sales will increase.

GM has to decide what they think is the best route.

You have choices. If 100K/5 Year limited warranty at a higher price is more important to you than 50K/3 Year Limited warranty at a lower price then, by the blessings of our free market, you are free to choose a different manufacturer.

I don't live too far from work, but every time I drive home, I pass a dozen different dealerships. The beauty of a free market is that you have your choice and you can make the best decision for you.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    What GM and all the other companies fail to realize is, that by sending almost all the jobs out of this country, they are doing away with a class of people that used to be able to afford their vehicles. They are getting labor for a fraction of the cost, but the cost of their product continues to rise.
    Unfortunately, the lower cost of labor still offsets the higher logistical costs for now. GM seems to be in "panic management mode" right now.

I worry about the future of this country and the move to a service based economy while shipping all the manufacturing overseas. Tim Timken, the CEO of Timken bearing company had an interesting quote - I don't remember the exact quote, but the upshot was you need manufacturing to create wealth. A service based economy does not create wealth, it just shuffles money around from one pile to another.

Management blames the unions, the unions blame management - meanwhile it all seems to be just slipping away.....
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Does not effect me at all..Good for them!
    "Brains before Bullets"

GM should have never bought Saab in the first place...just my $0.02.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

GM will likely be bankrupt soon, and Ford may be as well.

Their bond ratings have been recently downgraded (again) and they have posted huge losses for several quarters in a row. I don't think they'll be around much longer, unless the Fed decides to "bail them out" too.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Economics at play and apparently GM doesn't get Capitalism: You need to make a great product in order to make money. Making money is the number one rule of business. IMHO I grew up in the 80s and 90s and saw the really terrible quality control of Dodge, Ford and GM and then my mom and dad switched to foreign car manufacturers and never looked back. I have a 1991 Mustang but also a Subaru and will never look to the "Big Three" again for a high quality product to invest my money in.

It was a case study of mine in Germany at college that GM raised its warrantee to 10 years/100,000 miles because Kia, Honda, Toyota and Nissan had that as a standard.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links