Carry in all 50 states?

This is a discussion on Carry in all 50 states? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I feel as a current CHL person you should be grandfathered in...(Free w/ a caveat of attending an additional class within 6 months) as a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry in all 50 states?

I feel as a current CHL person you should be grandfathered in...(Free w/ a caveat of attending an additional class within 6 months) as a newbie maybe an additional $50 to $100 for the USA License and maintain same pricing for individual state...Only because some folks don't travel...(Country / State Lic)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Understood and agreed

So you would be willing to wait on maybe one day that your AR is good? Or how much would you be willing to pay today!
    For me, personally, I have ZERO desire to travel and I am perfectly happy right here where I am and being a very patient person, I can wait it out. If it never happens, thats fine with me too..but I sure would like to see it happen. As for paying today to have all 50 states, I don't see that happening on my part, right now anyway, but who am I to say that I won't change my mind tomorrow.
    "Brains before Bullets"

I, as well, do not see it happening soon, as much as I would like to see it.

IMHO $250.00 or even $500.00 for 5 yrs. would be very reasonable, if someone does not want to purchast such a permit let their states permit and current receposity agreements prevail.

As for all states having to change to have the same regulations, it doesn't need to happen, they do not have the same regulations now. It is, and would be, the responsibility of the individual to be famaliar with the states regulations and abide by them if carrying within the state.

All states recognise the others drivers licenses without issue.

$.42...enough for return postage to a license that 2A already guarantees...in all 50 states...for life!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    I see a lot of posts that say the problem with a nation wide CCW is that it would “step” on Sates Rights and all states would need to recognize the same CCW laws which would be bad for the more “CCW friendly” states.

I am not sure I follow this line of thought, please help me. Why would each state not be able to regulate CCW for themselves just like they do for driving? Your Driving License is recognized in every state, yet the laws are not all uniform. In some states you can turn right on a red light, in others you can not. In some states you can tint your front windshield, in some you can not. The driving test is different from state top state. The requirements for renewal very from state to state.

Why would having a mandatory nationwide reciprocity prevent each individual state from regulating where you could or could not carry within that state? Why would it impact what a state requires for its residents to qualify for a permit/license? After all, the states that currently have reciprocity do not all have the same CCW requirements or laws even though the recognize each others CCW.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    States rights took a big hit 1861-1865, everybody got over it. The Feds like to use the Commerce clause to regulate EVERYTHING. Certainly the prospect of crossing state lines during a road trip is much more prevalent now than it was in 1789. This is one place (speed and ease of interstate travel) where modern Constitutional interpretation is a valid issue.

I would place a value of $200 on this Federal permit, more if enabling legislation were to outlaw reciprocity. $100 for an upgrade from state to Fed CCW.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

$50...lifetime permit
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I'd pay up to $1000, but it needs to be good for life.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

Administrator
    5 years really goes by too quickly.
    I think seven...possibly ten years would be better.
    A license for LIFE would never happen because Govt is never satisfied with hitting any wallet, pocket, or pocketbook only once.

I'll leave this in Off Topic since it's all quite hypothetical at this point in time.

In order for a nationwide license to carry to ever happen I think there would have to be a catastrophic disaster or some phenomenally major event/emergency that would prompt all states to get on board with it.

The way the entire country came together for a short while after 9/11.

Possibly mobile roving bands of terrorist type snipers randomly shooting innocent Americans after another coordinated attack on American soil.

Or suicide bombers popping up everywhere like in Israel.

Life would be SO different then that I think most gun people would just carry all the time regardless.
    Interesting pondering it all though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm in the vote for 1000 for life. Also veterans should be free, but the gov't may look at it diff so, maybe 1/2 of it. All payable as either 1 time payment or allotment over how ever many months the payer wants to set not to exceed 5 yrs. Active duty members should be free.
    "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
    - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    I see a lot of posts that say the problem with a nation wide CCW is that it would “step” on Sates Rights and all states would need to recognize the same CCW laws which would be bad for the more “CCW friendly” states.

I am not sure I follow this line of thought, please help me. Why would each state not be able to regulate CCW for themselves just like they do for driving? Your Driving License is recognized in every state, yet the laws are not all uniform. In some states you can turn right on a red light, in others you can not. In some states you can tint your front windshield, in some you can not. The driving test is different from state top state. The requirements for renewal very from state to state.

Why would having a mandatory nationwide reciprocity prevent each individual state from regulating where you could or could not carry within that state? Why would it impact what a state requires for its residents to qualify for a permit/license? After all, the states that currently have reciprocity do not all have the same CCW requirements or laws even though the recognize each others CCW.
    Just like CCW your drivers licens is recognized in all states due to reciprocity between states and not a federal action. There is nothing in federal law that says a state has to recognize the license from another state. The CDL (Commercial Drivers License) is a federal program but a state does not have to enforce it just like the 21 age for drinking. However if they do not they will lose federal funds.

A nationwide standard for CCW and license could be enacted but states still would not be required to enforce it but could lose federal funding. The Real ID is similar. The standards for road signs with pictures was a federal requirement along with the notice that speed limits have to be posted in MPH and KPH. It is not as simple as passing a law that says you have to recognize a CCW from another state. You have to have some way to enforce it and I am not sure that the Feds have that.

My state license is $140 for 5 years,I had to pass all the background stuff I would have to for a hypothetical federal license,why should the fees be more when there wouldn't be anymore work or expense involved,your license could be entered in a system like ncic that any LEO could access at any time
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Please keep the comments comming.

Well, like I said earlier, Texas gave me my initial 5 year license free, and my renewal will be $35. I would expect any kind of nationwide license to have veteran discounts, or discounts for those people who can show hardship.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    I think it should work the same way as a drivers license. Your state issued permit is good in all 50 states, once you take up new residence in another state, you need to get a new permit for that respective state.
    When traveling, its up to you to know what you can and can't do while visiting, if you don't follow the rules doom on you.

Going to a national system is a very dangerous proposition, I can't say I support any federal programs, they can't seem to be able to tie their own shoes at this point.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links