[Real UGLY] Woman slashed in throat at ATM - 50 Stitches... WA

This is a discussion on [Real UGLY] Woman slashed in throat at ATM - 50 Stitches... WA within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman slashed in throat at ATM | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional By Associated Press FERNDALE, Wash. (AP) - A 24-year-old ...

Thread: [Real UGLY] Woman slashed in throat at ATM - 50 Stitches... WA

[Real UGLY] Woman slashed in throat at ATM - 50 Stitches... WA

Woman slashed in throat at ATM | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional

By Associated Press
    FERNDALE, Wash. (AP) - A 24-year-old woman required 50 stitches to close cuts to her throat and jaw line after a man armed with a box cutter attacked her as she withdrew money from an ATM machine.

Samantha Shields said she tried to back away as the man began slashing at her neck.

"He wasn't just trying to take my money," she said. "I thought he was trying to kill me."

A crew working inside the Whatcom Educational Credit Union heard her screams Monday morning and chased off the attacker, who ran off without taking anything from her.

A 20-year-old man was arrested a short time later after Ferndale police used dogs to track a scent from the credit union.

Joseph R. Smith was booked into the Whatcom County Jail for investigation of first-degree assault with sexual motivation, said Ferndale police Lt. Matt Huffman.

"Honestly, I can tell you that I will not use another ATM like that," Shields said. "I'll go into the bank. Spending five minutes writing a check doesn't seem so bad now."
    I say he was trying to kill her, it's patently obvious IMO.

Be aware of your surroundings, avoid dangerous ATM's, and carry if you can... good grief!
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Ads

Agreed, attempted murder should be the charge.
    He went for the jugular and in kind so should the courts.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Maybe she should spend that 5 minutes filling out paperwork to get her concealed handgun license if ya got time to back away from an attack you got time to draw and shoot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thumbs down Banned?

I thought concealed weapons were on the way out in Seattle??
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
    I thought concealed weapons were on the way out in Seattle??
    Ferndale's way North, but yes, his Highness the Mayor of Seattle has ordered the Police to draft rules prohibiting concealed weapons on city owned property, State law be damned. The box-cutter would be illegal unless he was carrying it for work.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Living in condition white will get you in trouble every time.

Some people will never learn no matter how many headlines are on the front page or on the tube.

I am extremely cautious and aware when around ATM's... Even before I was carrying a gun.

Some I just won't use because they are not conducive to using counter-surveillance techniques.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links