Check out the Wife's Tae Kwon-Do Yellow Belt test

Check out the Wife's Tae Kwon-Do Yellow Belt Test

This is a discussion on Check out the Wife's Tae Kwon-Do Yellow Belt Test within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My Wife tested for her Yellow belt tonight in her Tae Kwon-Do class. Let's just say I try not to make her mad YouTube - ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Check out the Wife's Tae Kwon-Do Yellow Belt test

Check out the Wife's Tae Kwon-Do Yellow Belt test

My Wife tested for her Yellow belt tonight in her Tae Kwon-Do class. Let's just say I try not to make her mad

YouTube - Carisa's Yellow Belt test #1
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

on the wife working to learn some self-defense skills! So, how long until we see Ms. Paco coming on to the forum to complain about how long the TX CHL takes to process, or trying to figure out the best holster for her new carry weapon?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    So, how long until we see Ms. Paco coming on to the forum to complain about how long the TX CHL takes to process, or trying to figure out the best holster for her new carry weapon?
    Still working on that, she tends to flip flop on that.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Good for her. It's great to see other people learning some martial arts skills. I got my start in Tae Kwon Do several years ago. I reached the level of brown belt, before I found other styles that better met MY self defense needs. However, I still remember the feeling of achieving my first belt rank in Tae Kwon Do.

If you ever want to talk about martial arts then just private message me. I have a lot of thoughts on Tea Kwon Do, that I don't feel is appropriate to post on this forum.

I will be joining them in the next session, hope that will kick mu butt in to shape .

I would prefer to learn Kenpo myself, but I need to start somewhere and this is available now.

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I will be joining them in the next session, hope that will kick mu butt in to shape .

I would prefer to learn Kenpo myself, but I need to start somewhere and this is available now.
    Where does she take her courses? I am only a few miles away from you, and my wife has thought about getting into something like that, also. Is it a course she likes and would recommend?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

She takes her's in Melissa. The instructor is the same one that teaches all 4 of my kids, it is their mission. They teach homeschoolers and just started offering classes to the parents.

All of their kids (7) are also in the class and assist with teaching the smaller kids.

I'll have her get me some info on it, I think the evening class is open to whomever wants to learn.

-Paco

Have fun with it. Availability is important and anything you can do with your family is worthwhile.

this is Awesome, I started training in TaeKwonDo Chang Moo Kwan back in the 80s worked till I received my 1st degree Black belt in 1991 and then joined the Marine Corps in 1994 and just never got back into it, seeing this makes me realize how much I miss it. thanks for sharing this, and good luck with the training.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the MARINES don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan.

Remember your abilities AND disabilities can become Possibilities!

Semper Fi!

+1 , I hit Black belt in TKD 5 years ago and just never got back into it

VIP Member

Good Job! Tell her to stay with it.
    It has to be a good feeling, having a wife that can watch your back.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I feel the need to chime in.

It's great that you get to learn something new and with your kids to boot, but for me honestly, as an adult I would say dump the TKD and go with something like the FIGHT System(Haganah), Krav Maga, Muy Thai, Kenpo, or something else that is "street effective".

I'm certainly no expert either, but I've tried lots of different styles over the years and I found Tae Kwon Do to be severely lacking in my own experiences. You spend more time training for perfect forms and kata's then preparing for a real onslaught of a street attack.

Until you're really at an expert level in TKD you're really not effective(in my opinion). An acquaintance of mine is a TKD instructor as well and even he has admitted most of his students cannot be truly combat effective on the street in any short time frame except for a few higher ranked students in the class. They're great at sparring with each other on a mat in class, but outside with real BG's attacking, it's a different story.

A quick google search reveals a number of what appear to be good schools in the DFW area. I'd suggest just stopping by one and see if they'll let you sit in on a class...just to see if it catches your fancy so to speak.
    I found this one on a quick search:
    Krav Maga Dallas Ft. Worth - Self Defense Instructions
    That one's probably a good 40-45min from you, but what's your life worth? Although it looks like they also have a location in Plano(same instructors):
    Performance Self Defense

Shoot, maybe even do both if time and funds permit. Continue your TKD at your current place and take something else on the side even if it's only 1 day a week or something.

Just putting another option out there so don't shoot the messenger...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    A great set of skills to learn. Congrats to her. And...I can see you filming the Vid in the large wall mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I feel the need to chime in.
    No worries. The main reason my Wife is taking this class is to get in to shape and build confidence, otherwise she doesn't get out to do much other than work part time in the evenings and homeschool our 4 kids.

I want to take Kenpo, but right now this is the most available to us plus the price is right for now since most of our money is going to pay off debt (thank you Dave Ramsey).

I'll certainly look at Performance Self Defense since I work in Plano.

-Paco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links