What is the difference between a knife and a scissors?

This is a discussion on What is the difference between a knife and a scissors? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am in Chicago. I had dinner with a buddy I grew up with. He says that you can now bring 3 inch knives as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the difference between a knife and a scissors?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

What is the difference between a knife and a scissors?

I am in Chicago. I had dinner with a buddy I grew up with. He says that you can now bring 3 inch knives as a carry on. I told him he is smoking that funny stuff again.

So I get to the airport and ask the TSA guy. He kind of laughed. But he did say you could bring a 4 inch scissors on board.

Uh....what is the difference if you are trying to do something dastardly?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

I agree... seems absurd to me.

TSA: What To Know Before You Go
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I am in Chicago. I had dinner with a buddy I grew up with. He says that you can now bring 3 inch knives as a carry on. I told him he is smoking that funny stuff again.

So I get to the airport and ask the TSA guy. He kind of laughed. But he did say you could bring a 4 inch scissors on board.

Uh....what is the difference if you are trying to do something dastardly?
    Knife: 1 blade
    scissors: 2 knives screwed together in the middle
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

There is no difference...open the scissors and you have a knife.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Scissors vs. knife...

I disagree.

Scissors are primarily a stabbing/thrusting weapon, and a poor one at that because they aren't really very sharp on the end and their handles aren't very comfortable for that kind of force.

A knife, on the other hand, has a very sharp point, sharper edge than scissors that is also capable of slashing (which would be almost impossible with scissors), and has a handle designed for doing both with quite a bit of force.

A pair of scissors could conceivably cause shallow puncture wounds, but even a small knife can cause huge, gaping wounds that might mean exposing internal organs to sepsis/contamination and rapid blood loss.

There is also no way to grab a knife from an attacker by the blade without getting injured. Such a move might still get you cut with a pair of scissors, but the chances are slimmer and the resulting injury much less serious.

I'd go up against a pair of scissors over a blade any day.
    "Anybody who deserves to be shot, deserves to be shot alot." - Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by ktphotog View Post
    I disagree.

Scissors are primarily a stabbing/thrusting weapon, and a poor one at that because they aren't really very sharp on the end and their handles aren't very comfortable for that kind of force.

A knife, on the other hand, has a very sharp point, sharper edge than scissors that is also capable of slashing (which would be almost impossible with scissors), and has a handle designed for doing both with quite a bit of force.

A pair of scissors could conceivably cause shallow puncture wounds, but even a small knife can cause huge, gaping wounds that might mean exposing internal organs to sepsis/contamination and rapid blood loss.

There is also no way to grab a knife from an attacker by the blade without getting injured. Such a move might still get you cut with a pair of scissors, but the chances are slimmer and the resulting injury much less serious.

I'd go up against a pair of scissors over a blade any day.
    First off... I think real scissors are more than capable of inflicting the same level of damage as a knife.

If we want to make a fair comparison and we accept that scissors are stabbing weapons rather than slashing (I'm not in agreement, but for the sake of discussion): a better comparison would be to an ice pick... which is also prohibited by the TSA.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Thrusting...

I will grant that a good pair of scissors is SOMEWHAT sharp at the point...

But what we're talking about here is "thrusting". Thrusting is, mechanically speaking, more than just pushing a point into something soft. To work well, even a stabbing instrument has to have a thin profile, really sharp edge down the blade, and ideally some way for air/gas/blood to escape or "get outa the way" of the blade as it's being pumped in and out.

The ice pick works (though not as well as most people who haven't actually tried it might think) because it's ALL sharp point. There's no blade body behind it to cause resistance AND it has a handle designed for thrusting.

A knife has a sharp point. But as you thrust, half of the work is done by the rest of the blade edge cutting a larger opening for the blade to continue. Though of less importance, it also has a hollow grind and/or "blood gutter" (spinal flute) to allow air/gases and blood to exit the wound instead of slowing the blade down.

A pair of scissors has none of these things except the (sometimes) sharp point.

Additionally, we're talking about a relatively short pair of scissors or knife blade here. If we were comparing a 4" knife and a pair of 4" scissors, we are comparing a knife that can still slit you from pubis to chin, as well as stab much deeper and more savagely than the scissors, to a pair of scissors that would have trouble doing much damage to any vital organs even IF you could get it through the rib cage.

Not convinced. I still think the blade is FAR more dangerous.

But what we're talking about here is "thrusting". Thrusting is, mechanically speaking, more than just pushing a point into something soft. To work well, even a stabbing instrument has to have a thin profile, really sharp edge down the blade, and ideally some way for air/gas/blood to escape or "get outa the way" of the blade as it's being pumped in and out.

The ice pick works (though not as well as most people who haven't actually tried it might think) because it's ALL sharp point. There's no blade body behind it to cause resistance AND it has a handle designed for thrusting.

A knife has a sharp point. But as you thrust, half of the work is done by the rest of the blade edge cutting a larger opening for the blade to continue. Though of less importance, it also has a hollow grind and/or "blood gutter" (spinal flute) to allow air/gases and blood to exit the wound instead of slowing the blade down.

Additionally, we're talking about a relatively short pair of scissors or knife blade here. If we were comparing a 4" knife and a pair of 4" scissors, we are comparing a knife that can still slit you from pubis to chin, as well as stab much deeper and more savagely than the scissors, to a pair of scissors that would have trouble doing much damage to any vital organs even IF you could get it through the rib cage.

Actually the TSA regulations are a 4" blade on the scissors. I just checked my 8" all-steel scissors. They have a 3 5/8" blade.

That's deeper penetration than my EDC knife is capable of; and in my opinion, the scissors are going to allow a better grip. All four of my fingers fit through the large handle and with the butt of the handle against my palm I could put all my bodyweight and then some behind it.

I do agree that the flexibility of the knife - slashing, thrusting - along with it's design specifically for the purpose as you pointed out, make it superior. But I don't think that's the whole point of the original post - I think the real point is that the TSA allows a deadly weapon onto planes.

TSA & scissors...

All other arguments aside, I agree the TSA's inconsistency is idiotic and troubling, though not really new or surprising.

Personally, were I to fly again I think I will be checking a few good folders in my check-in and carrying a Cane Masters (Walking Canes & more! - Mobility, Self-Defense, Exercise & Rehabilitation by Cane Masters) cane onboard for my "Bum leg".

Actually, scissors are not primarily a stabbing/thrusting weapon. They are actually designed to make controlled cuts on flat material such as paper and fabrics. However they do make a quite formidable weapon including stabbing and thrusting.

I have actually seen a pair of scissors almost identical to these (posted by matiki) sticking out of a man,s skull. Also he had about 15 - 20 deep stab wounds made by the same scissors to the neck, face and upper chest to go along with the scissors being stuck in his brain. The wounds also pierced the right and left ventricles of the heart, left lung and pulmonary artery. Ummm, He was dead by the way!

Handles were comfortable enough to be able to apply enough force to penetrate the skull and get buried into his brain.

A knife, on the other hand, has a very sharp point

You mean like these knives, right?

Not all knives have sharp points! (In case you are not familiar with dive knives, river rafting knives or safety/rescue knives)

Now, in all fairness, I understand what you're saying... just be careful how you say it and try to be more accurate in the future.
    No offense intended!

Have a nice day!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The danger from scissors isn't just caused by depth into the vital organs. I'd pretty much bet the farm that if I put 15-20 "shallow" punctures in you in say...a 2 seconds...you're going to bleed out fast enough that you'll at the very least pass out within a matter of seconds, and be dead in less than 3 minutes if I catch an artery. Just something to think about.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member

Wife story regarding flying with knives

My wife was flying across country, checked her bags, but she also had a small carry-on. Inside her carry-on was a gift for someone that she had already gift-wrapped. As she went through the screening, x-ray, etc, the TSA guy told her that I need to look through your carry-on. She said no problem, go right ahead. He dug through her stuff and pulled the gift right out, and was holding it in his hands looking at it. She said her knees instantly got weak and she had a nauseating feeling in her stomach when it dawned on her exactly what was inside the gift. She had never thought about it, or the consequences, but she was carrying a full variety set of very nice gift-wrapped kitchen knives.

The TSA pulled her off to the side and called their supervisor. While my wife was babbling incoherently to them, the supervisor looked her over along with her gift and sort of smirked, rolled his eyes, and asked her could she possibly return to her car and leave the gift there?

"Sure" she says gladly as the blood began to rush back to her brain. After a quick trip to the parking lot, she resumed her journey without further incidence. After she arrived at her destination we talked a few times on the phone, though she never mentioned anything to me, about her hapless encounter with TSA.

I would have never found out, though while she was away I was taking care of our mail, and there was a letter with a return address that IIRC was Homeland Security. Upon opening it I was able to find out about her heretofore secret "airport caper"

She learned a good lesson about "being aware", and we finally had a good laugh, but mostly we were thankful for the TSA not causing her a giant hassle while she was traveling. They would have had every right to throw the book at her.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    There is no difference...open the scissors and you have a knife.

Take them apart...now a knife in each hand.

Stay armed...don't run with scissors...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow. Scissors are to knives as revolvers are to autos...it's all in the eye of the beholder.....
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

VIP Member
    Let's not forget that if someone was planning on using scissors as a weapon they may have the forthought to sharpen them up a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Stay armed...don't run with scissors...stay safe!
    Nice one. Very creative.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links