Wireless Amber Alert

Wireless Amber Alert

This is a discussion on Wireless Amber Alert within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I apologize if this has been posted before. How to Register With Wireless AMBER Alert : Robin Raskin : Yahoo! Tech The AMBER alert system ...

Thread: Wireless Amber Alert

Wireless Amber Alert

I apologize if this has been posted before.

How to Register With Wireless AMBER Alert : Robin Raskin : Yahoo! Tech

The AMBER alert system began in 1996 when Dallas-Fort Worth broadcasters teamed with local police to develop an early warning system to help find abducted children. Since then, AMBER alerts in states all over the country have helped save over 200 abducted children.

But did you know that there's a special AMBER Alert system for people who register their wireless phones?

If you register your cellphone number with Wireless AMBER Alert you'll receive a text message if a child is abducted in your area. You can specify up to five ZIP codes where you'll be notified. Even if you travel outside of these areas with your phone, you'll receive the alert. The message contains a phone number to call if you have information regarding the abduction. Research shows that the first three hours are the critical ones in an abduction, so wireless AMBER alerts should help alert more numbers of potential rescuers.

To register, go to Wireless AMBER Alerts or visit your carrier's web site. With 60 percent of Americans owning cellphones and carrying them at all times, Wireless AMBER Alert takes the system from a broadcast medium (TV, radio, and road signs have been used previously) to a more personal medium that should prove very effective. It only takes a second to register and it could be a very important second.

I think that this is a good idea...I registered my cell phone. Thanks for this info...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Me too. I hop it doesn'g become a pain. If one decides it isn't worth it, how does one cancel?

VSP had/has it posted on their homepage. Signed up a few months back, thank goodness I've never had them text me.
    I hope these guys got some sort of award for the idea.

One of the problems and I say problems in a weird way is trying to decide when an Amber alert is issued. Some people get mad when their child doesn't come home exactly when they are supposed to and an Amber later isn't issued. Then there is the deal that if one is issued for every little thing then no one will pay attention to them anymore. It has been a tough decision for the people making the decision. There was one issued about two week ago around here and lots of coverage. Everything turned out fine due to a call by someone that had heard it.

Different states have different criteria and what coverage is made when they are issued. I know that they help and I doubt that it will be a problem. For half the people I see around it is almost impossible for them to see it with all the other mess they get on their cell phones. Heck I got a spam text the other night from Tiawan. First one of those for me.

FN, in SC all Amber Alerts have to be approved by SLED 1st. SO if there was an issue, then SLED didn't have all the info
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Thanks for the info, the more people are informed sooner hopefully will result in a missing child being found quickly.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    FN, in SC all Amber Alerts have to be approved by SLED 1st. SO if there was an issue, then SLED didn't have all the info
    Correct. Not a complaint from me at all just there have been some cases where people have gotten to the media trying to say the SLED didn't put out an alert for their case but I agreed that it wasn't something that deserved it. It has to be a balance between real need and crying wolf.

Sponsored Links