Woman Fatally Shot By Bear Hunter - Skagit, WA

This is a discussion on Woman Fatally Shot By Bear Hunter - Skagit, WA within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman Fatally Shot By Bear Hunter - News Story - KIRO Seattle SKAGIT COUNTY, Wash. -- A woman was fatally shot by a bear hunter ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman Fatally Shot By Bear Hunter - Skagit, WA

Unhappy Woman Fatally Shot By Bear Hunter - Skagit, WA

Woman Fatally Shot By Bear Hunter - News Story - KIRO Seattle

SKAGIT COUNTY, Wash. -- A woman was fatally shot by a bear hunter on Sauk Mountain, said Chief Deputy Will Reichardt of the Skagit County Sheriff’s Office.

A 54-year-old woman from Oso was hiking with a friend around 10:30 a.m. Saturday when a group of hunters were also in the mountain.

One of the hunters, a juvenile male from Concrete, spotted what he thought was a bear and fired a round, fatally wounding the woman.

Deputies said a preliminary investigation indicates that the woman was stopped on the trail putting something into her backpack when the hunter mistook her for a bear and fired one shot.

The incident happened along Highway 20 west of Rockport. Reichardt said it’s legal to hunt bear in that area and it’s also a popular hiking area.

The hunter was accompanied by at least one other person, police said.

Police said no one is currently in custody and they continue to interview the hunter and the woman who was hiking with the victim.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Wrong place, Wrong time.

How about "know your target" before you pull the trigger?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

How is it possible to mistake a human for a bear? Four legs, not two; uniformly-colored fur all over, vs clothing; no funky orange hat.

Reminds me of the shoot-'em-quick scene in the film Brigadoon where Jeff lights one off on a fleeing partridge, only to bag "hot-head Harry" as he's escaping town.

Know your target, indeed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The story also says that he was a "juvenile". Would love to know his age, and does anyone know what the law is in Washington for "juviniles" to own long guns?
    -- Benjamin Franklin

This is a reason why some people shouldn't have guns.

Number one is to identify your target. After you've done that you have certain areas that you should aim at on the target, like the area of the heart etc. No way this guy can say that he first IDed the target then aimed for the heart of the bear. He had no clue to what he was shooting at.

How can someone just shot for something that is moving??
    Last edited by Sig sauer; August 3rd, 2008 at 06:28 PM.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    This is bad. Really bad. Don't they teach hunter's safety courses anymore? You are supposed to have a complete visual of your target. This idiot should never be allowed to hunt ever again.

I know it is not the hiker's fault, but I do want to mention one thing. Some people when they go into the woods wear clothes or carry items that might get them mistaken for deer, bear or other animals. Our instructor told us to NEVER bring a white handkerchief into the woods during (whitetail) deer season.

Regardless of what she was wearing, unless it was a bear costume, it wasn't the hiker's fault. The kid is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by joninny View Post
    how about "know your target" before you pull the trigger?
    ++100000000000000000000000000000000000000
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Where was the adult hunter that was suppose to be teaching this kid how to hunt,There are so many rules that were broken here that it makes me wanta say arrest him for involuntary manslaughter at the least,he killed somebody that was doing nothing more than hiking and I don't know what kind of terrain they were in but something tells me this kid shot at brush moving.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Know your target...1000x...there is no excuse for this shooting. This kid and perhaps the adult in charge are headed for big trouble.

Stay armed...know your target...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I'd be curious if he will be charged with unintentional manslaughter...he caused someone's death due directlyto his negligence.

Rick

hmm know your target and whats beyond... I wasnt aware that was so hard to understand...

What a shame. As said here in previous post, Know your target. I'm just not sure how you could not see the difference. Wonder what the distance and terrain was. I guess he was shooting at noise vs a visual.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

What a bummer for both families. The kid was probably full of buck fever but that is not an excuse. The ball was dropped while he was being taught to hunt. I do remember when I was 14 years old and hunting bear in Colorado. I saw what I thought was a lumbering bear at about 400 yards. As I sized up the situation a guy on horse back came out of the trees behind the bear. I then realized that the bear was not a bear but a big fat Chow Dog. The man on the horse put it all into perspective and I realized it was closer then I thought. Of course there is a much bigger difference between a bear and MOST women but that kid is going to have to live with it for the rest of his life.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    This is bad. Really bad. Don't they teach hunter's safety courses anymore? You are supposed to have a complete visual of your target. This idiot should never be allowed to hunt ever again.
    I agree completely...a murder charge should be first on the list. I never get how they always term these kind of shootings "accidents". This person intended to shoot what was in the sights...........intent=murder plain and simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links