A Couple of Interesting Articles on How to Survive Animal Attacks

This is a discussion on A Couple of Interesting Articles on How to Survive Animal Attacks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wildlife encounters: A survival primer - Salt Lake Tribune When Animals Attack, and Also When They Donít | Travel & Outdoors | New West Network ...

Thread: A Couple of Interesting Articles on How to Survive Animal Attacks

Wildlife encounters: A survival primer - Salt Lake Tribune

When Animals Attack, and Also When They Donít | Travel & Outdoors | New West Network

I personally like the one about the bison attack. It says:
    "If a bison looks like it might attack you, try to put something between you and the animal."

How about a 12 gauge?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    "If a bison looks like it might attack you, try to put something between you and the animal."

How about a vehicle??? Geez - bison are plains animals....what the heck is out there to put between you and the beast?
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post

How about a vehicle??? Geez - bison are plains animals....what the heck is out there to put between you and the beast?
    Distance and a lot of it,since Bison won't stop to eat the buddy you just outran
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Mmmmm...
    I wonder if 'common sense' would keep you safe? I've known idiots who chased the mama moose and her calf to get a picture, or get out of their car to feed the bears.

Stay armed...use common sense...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    It's sort of strange that this thread got started today, because I was animal-attacked recently (July 23, 2008) by a mad mama cow. I wrote a thread on it titled "A scenario to think about and my real-life experience". I was comparing the cow attack to a sudden BG attack and how easy it is to think about what you'd do during peaceful times, but how your thinking changes during an overwhelming attack. I'll repeat part of it here to share what I remember while being attacked by an animal.

The victim- That would be me. I'm 56 yoa, dealt with livestock all my life. In my younger days experienced with horse-training, rodeos, etc. I don't consider myself as a city-slicker. I'm 5' 10", 185, and I think in pretty darned good shape physically. My wife may question my mental shape though.

The aggressor- Mostly Angus/Brahman crossbred cow that I raised (with others) as a heifer. Four years old, weight about 1000 lbs. Muley-headed (no horns). No indication of any pattern of violent behavior. Cattle are really good at keeping a buffer zone between them and humans. They do get nervous in a pen, and in regards to their calves (mother instinct). They are big and powerful whenever they want to be.

My scenario- We were out in an open pasture and needed to catch this cow's calf. We were doing it by hand so as to not cause so much ruckus with the nearby herd. I've done this at least a thousand times in my life. Whenever I catch a calf, the cow is usually nearby concerned and curious. Today, this particular cow unexpectantly blind-sided me and butted me on the run in my left chest. Knocked me flat, certainly causing me to let go of her calf. I would have guessed she'd taken her calf and left the crime scene, but no, she wanted some more of me. She wasn't finished. She got on top of me, bending at her front knees and using them to pin my torso down. Believe me there was a lot of weight involved. Now being at such close proximity to me, I knew she was intending to butt heads with me and she would definitely win that contest. While I was pinned I automatically started squriming to loosen her hold on me, at the same time I put my hands against her head (nose mostly) to interrupt her, plus soften some of the potential head blows. I knew that one good blow from her head to my head, would likely cause me a serious head injury or death.

With me squirming and fighting back, plus my helper getting on scene, it was more than she wanted to handle, and of course she took her calf and scooted.

Unexpectently, I was violently knocked down, pinned and nearly pummeled. After this was over I reflected very much on exactly what I was thinking, while I was under this "attack". I never thought about my ccw at all, I automatically went into a survival mode and I was too busy (mentally and physically) to ponder alternatives. If I would have had multiple weapons hanging off of me and ready to use, I wouldn't have had time to put them to use. Even if available weapons were laying on the ground right next to me, I wouldn't have seen them because I was in a mental state of survival. Had I happened to have a weapon in my hand, say like a stick, I might have used it, but may not have even thought about it being there.

Just for clarification I wouldn't have fired on the cow, doing so may have just intensified her anger. It certainly wouldn't have dropped her. She was just being too good of a mama. Sorry no video was taken, though I would love to see how it went about.

Once again this is a situational awareness deal that got by me. I've side-stepped and avoided many bad cows in the past, though I have been kicked, stepped-on, mashed and raked by horns. This recent deal was the worst, because this cow didn't act like the other 999 have, and it caught me off-guard. I didn't have to go to the doctor, or miss any work but it did slow me down quite a bit. I'm about 95% back to normal.

I definitely had a front row seat and look at an attack from a big animal. Not much fun.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Links