Advantages of having a lake as backyard

This is a discussion on Advantages of having a lake as backyard within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Beautiful spot...any gators and/or cottonmouths come up to the back door?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advantages of having a lake as backyard

Beautiful spot...any gators and/or cottonmouths come up to the back door?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    That looks like great fun! I just discovered fishing about 4 weeks ago. It must be nice to have a lake in the back yard. If I was so lucky, I think I might fish every day.

Yesterday we caught a dozen small trout at the lake in the morning and then dropped by the river for a quick try for summer steelhead. No luck, but fun, nonetheless.

I haven't made it out for bass yet; I don't think we have Peacocks here -- likely just smallmouth and largemouth.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Beautiful spot...any gators and/or cottonmouths come up to the back door?
    No gators. The lake is not connected to any canals and so far no neighbor has dumped baby gators in the lake. No snakes either. if you ever hear that a Miami neighborhood burn to the ground because somebody was using homemade napalm that was me finding and trying to get rid of an itsy bitsy snake Also we have lots of feral cats in the area.
    I did see an osprey doing some fishing last week. Very cool considering I live in an urban area. Sucker don't miss!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Nice fish, must be nice to have a lake with good fish so close. If it's not connected to canals, someone must be stocking it, right?

The closest thing we have around here is the Pacific, where I practice my spear-fishing skills on occasion. Haven't figured out yet how to have a 6 pack while doin it yet.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    From what I was told, Florida Wildlife will help get in touch with fisheries and also gives you a guideline on what and how many species you should have in an acre of water. It is the responsibility of the homeowners association (or builder, etc.) to stock up the lake. Then again a lake without any fish in it becomes a big puddle for mosquitoes and nobody wants to live next to it. I am guessing our lake was not cheap to get started but once you get the population going, they self sustain. We have besides peacocks, Florida largemouth, catfish, crappies, sunfish and minnows. I have also seen turtles so it is a pretty well stocked lake.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    ...and you don't have to mow it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Nice fish, must be nice to have a lake with good fish so close. If it's not connected to canals, someone must be stocking it, right?

The closest thing we have around here is the Pacific, where I practice my spear-fishing skills on occasion. Haven't figured out yet how to have a 6 pack while doin it yet.
    That is simple, purchase a camelbak and fill it with your beverage of choice.

OP: Great fish. I go fishing around Micco and Sabastion but never seen anything like that before.
    Last edited by Shadowsbane; August 4th, 2008 at 04:04 AM. Reason: found the answer to my question
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links