Woman Spends $50,000 to Clone Her Pit Bull!

This is a discussion on Woman Spends $50,000 to Clone Her Pit Bull! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Reuters AlertNet - Booger the pit bull is back! All five of him... SEOUL, Aug 5 (Reuters) - The loss of Booger the pit bull ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman Spends $50,000 to Clone Her Pit Bull!

Woman Spends $50,000 to Clone Her Pit Bull!

Reuters AlertNet - Booger the pit bull is back! All five of him...

SEOUL, Aug 5 (Reuters) - The loss of Booger the pit bull terrier was almost more than Bernann McKinney could bear.

Now she is happy, minus $50,000 and her house, and owner of five cloned Booger puppies.

"It is a miracle for me because I was able to smile again, laugh again and just feel alive again," McKinney told a news conference in the South Korea capital to show off the week-old black puppies -- all of whose names include the word Booger.

They are the work of the biotech firm RNL Bio, affiliated with the South Korean lab which produced the world's first cloned dog and is staffed with former associates of disgraced scientist Hwang Woo-suk.

She sold her house in the United States to raise the $50,000 for RNL scientists to turn skin cells taken from Booger before he died two years ago into embryos carried by two surrogate dogs for two months until giving birth to the puppies last week.

"I had to make sacrifices and I dream of the day, some day when everyone can afford to clone their pet because losing a pet is a terrible, terrible loss to anyone."

After rescuing him from a shelter 12 years ago, Booger had become an indispensable part of her life, said the 57-year-old Californian.

The lab said it hoped to make its technology more commercial along with its programme to clone sniffer dogs for the Korean customs service.

"As of today, we are at the stage of receiving orders from anywhere in the world," RNL CEO Ra Jeongchan said.

RNL has said it expected to clone about 100 dogs next year and for the price to drop as technology improves.

Hwang has been on trial for more than two years on charges of breaking the law on research ethics and for misusing state funds and private donations.

RNL's research staff is made up of scientists who stayed behind when Hwang left the prestigious Seoul National University after his research results were found to be fraudulent.

Dogs are considered one of the more difficult mammals to clone because their reproductive cycle includes difficult-to-predict ovulations.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Just when I thought I had heard it all.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Now she is happy, minus $50,000 and her house, and owner of five cloned Booger puppies.
    That's just
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

She spent $50,000 to clone a booger?Ida picked her a good one fer only a $100
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A fool and his money soon part!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

hmm... in my head that would equal a $49,300 profit... or close to that.... Id buy 5 more and say here...thats just stupid, (somethin you cant fix...)

OK... I loved my dog Zues (yes, I'm aware it's spelled wrong... but thats how my niece wrote it down... story for another time) and had to put him down last year, and I'll never have a better dog. That said; I wouldn't pay $1 to clone him because... well... he's dead.

I rescued him in '98 at 1-1/2 yo, he was found on the streets of Los Vegas according to 'best friends' adoption agency. My guess do to multiple fighting scars, and the fact that he was a Rottweiler/
    Doberman/ (possible) pit bull mix, is that he was bread to be a fighting dog who didn't have the prey drive. Whatever his life was before we were brought together is what made him the dog I loved, not only his DNA.

Sorry for the rant, but cloning is just creepy. I don't think one would get what they expect... a carbon copy.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Totally sick behavior. It isn't the same dog.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The lady sold her house in "California" to fund the cloning,That right there speaks volumes another tree hugging nut job,Then again that sounds like something my nut job sister would do
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The lady sold her house in "California" to fund the cloning,That right there speaks volumes another tree hugging nut job,Then again that sounds like something my nut job sister would do
    Yep, only in California!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

She "feels alive again" due to reconstituted "Booger." Well, that's a first.

She's also likely to be really disappointed when the cloning doesn't duplicate the spirit, attitude and je ne sais quoi.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A fool and his money soon part!
    The second part of that line is " It is amazing that the fool and his money every got together in the first place"

The ___(enter animal here) would look like the orginal but the personality could never be duplicated. Same with people, the lives that we live is what and who we are. Take a set of identical twins they will have 2 diffrent personalities. So you have a copy and ?

okay, let me see if i'm getting this right...

she had a pit bull...

"right..."

the dog died....

"check..."

the dog was, i presume, a good dog...

"right..."

so she sells her house to raise $50,000 to clone her dog?

"you got it..."

instead of just adopting another dog?

"...."

INSTEAD OF ADOPTING ANOTHER DOG???

"well, i'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time..."

Dog will be as cute as the other one, one day soon its going to turn on them. they'll have to put it down because it tried eating the neighbor kid.. the doc. will try to get sued because they "screwed up"...

I also wonder, since there are now 5 identical puppies, whether there will be sibling envy and confusion.

And what makes her think it will be the same temperment as her dearly departed Booger? It may be the same DNA, but it's not the same "soul". This one could be a killer some day.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links