Campus Lockdowns During Emergency Called Impossible

This is a discussion on Campus Lockdowns During Emergency Called Impossible within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A complete lockdown of the Virginia Tech campus during the 2007 shootings that left 32 people plus the gunman dead would have been impossible, George ...

Thread: Campus Lockdowns During Emergency Called Impossible

A complete lockdown of the Virginia Tech campus during the 2007 shootings that left 32 people plus the gunman dead would have been impossible, George Mason University Chief of Police Michael Lynch says.

Lynch spoke at the second annual Governor's Campus Preparedness Conference, a meeting of more than 500 college and university officials to discuss prevention of and response to campus tragedies.

"I know that I can't lock down George Mason University, so I don't call it impractical - I call it impossible," Lynch said during a session on campus lockdowns. The conference was held at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond.

According to HamptonRoads.com, campus security officials urged college administrators and the news media to refrain from using the term "lockdown," because it is misleading and offers a false sense of security. College campuses typically span miles, have open borders and cannot be completely secured, the officials said.

The conference was proposed last year by Gov. Timothy M. Kaine as a way for college and university officials to share ideas for making campuses safer. More than 700 people attended last year's conference, which was held four months after the Virginia Tech shootings.

While that conference focused on campus shootings, the scope this year was broadened to include disasters, from hurricanes and tornadoes to pandemics and outbreaks.

Many speakers advised college officials to communicate with the public quickly during a tragedy and document every decision, HamptonRoads.com reports.

"Once something like this happens, your entire campus is a crime scene," says Bob Dillard, University of Richmond chief of police. He discussed the challenges he faced in May when trying to communicate with the public after a person carrying a gun was spotted on campus.

"Remember," Dillard said, "statistically, college campuses are still one of the safest places you can be."

Colud a lot safer if they allowwed CCW

"experts" use statistics like a drunk uses a lightpole...more for support, than illumination.

There are two kinds of statistics, the kind you look up and the kind you make up
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    "experts" use statistics like a drunk uses a lightpole...more for support, than illumination.

There are two kinds of statistics, the kind you look up and the kind you make up
    Now thats a good analogy!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I don't see the problem here,sound a siren and everybody dig a hole and stick you head in it it would work just as well as anything else they got
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I don't see the problem here,sound a siren and everybody dig a hole and stick you head in it it would work just as well as anything else they got
    How about...sound the siren, and everyone lock & load?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I know that most of the media types have been to college but many times some of the comments about all this make me wonder if those running their mouths have ever even set foot on a college campus, especially a major college campus. He is absolutely correct on it being impossible to lockdown a campus. Many major colleges are so intermingled with the city that in order to close a campus you would have to close the city. Most colleges are not this nice little setting enclosed by an ivy covered brick wall that can be shut off and everyone protected. This deal about pushing one button and everyone all of a sudden gets notified of a BG on campus is BS. I am in charge of this at the college where I work and we have yet to install anything to do the notification because 1) We haven't found anything that works and 2) cost.

We tend to let emotions get too involved in these things but some of the proposals are so idiotic that they should be laughed at but are actually taken seriously by idiots. Allowing guns may be a start and I am in favor of it but in reality is just a small step.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Allowing guns may be a start and I am in favor of it but in reality is just a small step.
    Got to crawl before walking

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Check out Emergency Email . . . . The Emergency Email Network . . . . . . . . . . . . NOW INCLUDED WITH Emergency Notification the business continuity and disaster recovery resource on the web. - they offer a very nice notification service which may be of help (we use it for weather alerts).

Of course, I envision the email saying "Gunman on campus near Math building: lock/load/don vests/take cover, and be on lookout for [description]. Free pass on finals if you take him out."

We have looked about at least a dozen different systems. Our problem is that we are a commuter school with no dorms and do not provide students with email addresses but wouldn't do much good anyway if they were driving to school or in class. The best way would be with test messaging but that would require students to sign up for it and several of the companies supposedly providing that service have been overwhelmed when an actual emergency has been issued.

As I said there is no perfect solution. Just need more armed guards. :)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    As I said there is no perfect solution. Just need more armed guards. :)

Quod quisnam mos tutela custodiae custodie?

And who will guard the guards?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Links