House Passes Legislation To Notify Students Of Campus Emergency

This is a discussion on House Passes Legislation To Notify Students Of Campus Emergency within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Security On Campus Inc. (SOC), a non-profit advocacy organization for safer college and university campuses, has commended passage of legislation by the U.S. House of ...

Thread: House Passes Legislation To Notify Students Of Campus Emergency

House Passes Legislation To Notify Students Of Campus Emergency

Security On Campus Inc. (SOC), a non-profit advocacy organization for safer college and university campuses, has commended passage of legislation by the U.S. House of Representatives that will require colleges to "immediately notify" their students and employees when an emergency, such as an active shooter situation, happens on campus.

"As recent incidents have demonstrated, minutes can mean the difference between life and death," says Jonathan Kassa, SOC's executive director. "We called on Congress to strengthen provisions for warning campuses and are very pleased that immediate warnings during life-threatening emergencies will be required. This helps ensure that information is communicated, empowering students and employees so that they can take steps to protect themselves during a crisis."

The House, as a part of legislation reauthorizing the Higher Education Act of 1965 (H.R. 4137), also passed provisions strengthening the campus crime reporting provisions of the Jeanne Clery Act, establishing fire safety reporting requirements for student housing on campus, giving the victims of violent crime the right to know the outcome of student disciplinary action in their cases, and establishing a grant program to improve the emergency notification and security capabilities of colleges. The U.S. Senate may take up the legislation as early as later today and send it to the President for his signature.

SOC was founded in 1987 by Jeanne Clery's parents Connie and Howard after she was raped and murdered in her on-campus residence hall at college, by a fellow student whom she didn't know. SOC worked to secure passage of the Jeanne Clery Act, originally known as the Campus Security Act, in 1990 and continues to be the nation's leading voice for the improvement of campus safety.

2. Remove Ads

Now how about giving them the freedom to choose to be armed on campus or not. That would also go a long way towards self defense and safety. Don't you think?
    NRA Member

And I'm sure it will protect you.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

So...the campus/school will be responsible for providing a notification device?...and if it isn't charged or turned on or left in the dorm...then what?

How will this make it safer? and what are the students supposed to do with the information once it is received? put their head in the sand?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I guess bend over grab your ankles and kiss your sweet behind goodbye?

I'm without pager, cell phone and other devices: how do they notify me, exactly?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I'm without pager, cell phone and other devices: how do they notify me, exactly?
    I guess look for the smoke signals?

Between the Gun Safety Zones and the Campus Emergency Notification System...I guess we're all set...feels good, doesn't it!

Stay armed...go to college in UT...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am having a hard time imagining ANY usefulness of an Emergency Notification System - if you are in the middle of it, you already know. And if you aren't chances are you'll hear it on the evening news before you get your notification.

Even if you get a timely warning, what are you going to do? You are unarmed, so you won't be of much help, and you are probably locked down, so you can't even get out of the area. At least you will know what it is you can panic over.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links