Day 2 at Nike

This is a discussion on Day 2 at Nike within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I got a short term contract writing some software for Nike. Since their World Headquarters is literally mile from my house, and I haven’t ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 2 at Nike

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Day 2 at Nike

I got a short term contract writing some software for Nike. Since their World Headquarters is literally mile from my house, and I haven’t worked in 2 months, I took it. They have a beautiful campus as the following picture attests to.

On the morning of the second day, my manager says he wants to speak with me. I am thinking, how much trouble could I have caused in one day. Done it before, so I just went into his office with an open mind.

We exchanged some niceties and debriefed a bit. Then he says to me, “what is wrong with your shoes?” I am thinking that they are rather dusty from the two consecutive weekends I just spent at the Firearms Academy of Seattle learning how to shoot moving targets in the “A” zone while I am moving, and a few other drills. But I just say, “huh?”

“What brand are they?” he continues.

“Uh, Reebok.”

“Exactly my point.” How did he know? Anyways, he continues with how passionate Nike employees are about wearing Nike stuff. He then relates a story about a friend who came to visit him on campus wearing non-Nike shoes. He said that he entered the elevator on the top floor and on the next floor down, three other people got in. The friend later explained that he barely got out of the elevator alive. The manager then smiled a sly little smile. I smiled back. I then asked what I should do. He gave me a pass to the Nike employee store and “requested” that I buy a new pair of shoes.

Looks like I am going to get a new pair of shoes at a steep discount.
    Attached Images
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

The union at a local Ford plant used to have a reputation for not allowing any other make of car to be parked on the lot. The plant has since closed.

Best wishes on the new assignment.

Nice view.

EMP, good find. The trend these days in IT (operations and applications) is to test drive people for a while before they hire them, keep it up. We will no longer be able to write our own check like pre-Y2K, those were the days.

Hang in there and write good code, but make yourself needed.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

My Dad is retired from Detroit Diesel Allison's, a division of GM.

He drove a Ford vehicle, of one model or another for the entire 20+ years he worked there.

Now you know where I get it from......
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Nice photo...hope the position can work out into something more permanent...also, hope the new shoes fit well.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Reminds me of something I noticed when my kid was attending GA Tech. You can NOT buy a Pepsi anywhere on campus, not at the co-op, vending machines, or anywhere else. The kid had to walk a couple blocks off-campus to buy it.

Of course, Coke's WHQ is like 2 blocks from campus, and they are a big sponsor for the football stadium.

Go figure.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    EMP, good find. The trend these days in IT (operations and applications) is to test drive people for a while before they hire them, keep it up. We will no longer be able to write our own check like pre-Y2K, those were the days.

Hang in there and write good code, but make yourself needed.
    Agreed...I'm in "test drive" mode myself right now...2 months and going.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Reminds me of something I noticed when my kid was attending GA Tech. You can NOT buy a Pepsi anywhere on campus, not at the co-op, vending machines, or anywhere else. The kid had to walk a couple blocks off-campus to buy it.

Of course, Coke's WHQ is like 2 blocks from campus, and they are a big sponsor for the football stadium.

Go figure.
    What do you expect? Would you rather them lower their standards?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    He then relates a story about a friend who came to visit him on campus wearing non-Nike shoes. He said that he entered the elevator on the top floor and on the next floor down, three other people got in. The friend later explained that he barely got out of the elevator alive.
    I think those folks would be in for a nasty surprise if they tried that on you.

Did you learn any elevator defensive techniques in your last class?
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post

Go figure.
    Buddy of mine went to Emory in Atlanta. They had a construction site right across from his dorm, and someone had the audacity to put a Pepsi vending machine there. It lasted about a day before it was replaced by a Coke product machine.

Back to OP...

Tell them you'll wear Nike stuff when you're a regular, full-time employee

-JT

VIP Member
    I was doing some work at a Chrysler plant. When I arrived they asked me what car I was driving and where I parked it. Seems the plant manager had a habit of towing non-Chrysler cars to the far reaches of lot. I was driving a Ford that week. They gave me a pass for the week.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

A family member of mine is a VP for Pepsico. I'm pretty sure he can loose his job if caught drinking a non-pepsi product. especially if someone catches it in a photo.

I was in a labor union, still am a member, and foreign vehicles were not allowed in the union hall parking lot. If you drove one, they asked you to park it across the street and walk to the hall.

Good luck with the new job. Would have been nice if they had offered you a free pair of shoes.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I used to work for Motorola. Definitely had to pick the right cell phone.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    I was doing a wiring job (voice/data) for a new Coca Cola office here in town. Offices were not even open yet. One of the corporate big wigs came through while I was on break, having a Dr Pepper. I was informed I had to get it out of to lthe building and told if I were caught again I would be forced to leave the jobsite, and not allowed back. Was told by a member of their IT department they were not suppose to use any product that Pepsi was the parent company of, even when off work. They even try to restrict the resturants they frequent, if they sale Pepsi products.
    Wouldn't do for me to work for them, I refuse to give up my Dr Pepper and RC Cola!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Hope they're comfy shoes, man.

I grew up in a company town, an oil company. They used to send people out at lunch time to see who bought gasoline at stations ran by other companies.

As I got older, my loyalties were divided: (1) Buy gas from the company that gave my dad a job and fed me while I was a kid, or (2) screw them for trying to control or manipulate my family.

I don't think about it much anymore. I buy whatever is the most convenient or the cheapest nowdays.

Funny, I'm 41 and it still pops into my head every once in a while....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Exactlymypoint,
    How did the second week at the Institute go for you? I went shooting again I think that they should have offered you FREE shoes, personally.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links