Good Call By Scotus

Good Call By Scotus

This is a discussion on Good Call By Scotus within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; US top court refuses to halt Mexican's execution - Yahoo! News WASHINGTON (AFP) - The US Supreme Court has rejected a last-ditch appeal by a ...

Thread: Good Call By Scotus

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Good Call By Scotus

US top court refuses to halt Mexican's execution - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The US Supreme Court has rejected a last-ditch appeal by a Mexican muderer on Texas death row, paving the way for him to be put to death despite a world court order for a stay of execution.
    ADVERTISEMENT

"The application for stay of execution of sentence of death ... is denied," the Supreme Court ruled.

Jose Ernesto Medellin, 33, who was convicted for the 1993 rape and murder of two teenagers, was due to be executed by lethal injection at 6 pm local time Tuesday.

His execution would be in defiance of an order from the International Court of Justice, which asked the United States last month to stay the executions of five Mexican nationals on death row, including Medellin. In 2004, the court told US authorities to review the sentences of 51 Mexicans facing execution.
    Who the [edited] is the World Court to tell us who we can execute and who we can't? With our legal system, if the courts have decided that someone needs to die and they have exhausted all of their appeals, then it is time to die. I mean this guy is just now being put to death 15 years after he committed his gruesome crimes. That is plenty of time for the facts to be reviewed, appealed, etc.

Why does the World Court Of Justice think that they have the authority to issue an ORDER telling us to stay the execution? This type of meddling grinds my gears (to quote Peter Griffin), but I am glad to see that SCOTUS reviewed the case, and basically told the World Court to pound sand.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; August 6th, 2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

"Grinds your Gears," eh? Well, it does mine too! +1 on the SCOTUS decision!

Guess we shouldn't stay home on election day if you want to remain free of the UN and The World Court!

I know one candidate who thinks we aren't supporting the UN and the World Court enough as it is! We need to leave a more likable footprint in the worlds opinion according to him.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If they need an extension cord, extra rope, alcohol swabs, whatever...I'll share...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wanta puke when I see how these convicted murderers some of whom tortured their victims when they get the death sentence they are concerned it will be inhumane,I don't think throwing a rope around their legs and dragging them behind a truck til theres only rope left is too inhumane so I would give them a choice you want a happy shot or ya wanta go for a ride,they'll be begging for the needle
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    If you read the intimate details of the crime that he perpetrated and what he bragged about afterward - there can be no doubt that this scumbag needs killing in a serious bad way.
    What he really needs is a slow and excruciating painful death.
    This guy is a true heartless monster.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Well now that it's done, the international court can appeal it all they want.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Senior Moderator
    Why does the World Court Of Justice think that they have the authority to issue an ORDER telling us to stay the execution? This type of meddling grinds my gears (to quote Peter Griffin), but I am glad to see that SCOTUS reviewed the case, and basically told the World Court to pound sand.
    In most other countris arounf the world, they do have juristiction because the the nations have elected to make it so.

There are many people here in the US that would do the same if they were in a position to do so. With each passing day, we get closer and closer.

Thats is the same international court that Obama says we need to adhere to.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    In most other countris arounf the world, they do have juristiction because the the nations have elected to make it so.

There are many people here in the US that would do the same if they were in a position to do so. With each passing day, we get closer and closer.

Agreed,

But many other countries around the world don't have the same checks and balances in their legal system to ensure that a scumbag gets a fair trial. We do, and sometimes that means guilty scumbags go free to try and ensure that an innocent person isn't wrongly convicted. Because of this, I feel that we should tell the World Court to go [edited] themselves and stay out of our business.

If the World Court was so worried about it, why were they only concerned about the 51 Mexicans on death row, instead of ALL death row inmates.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; August 6th, 2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

B52
    GOOD!

Update:

Mexican-born killer put to death in Texas - Yahoo! News

HUNTSVILLE, Texas - A Mexican-born condemned killer whose case drew international attention has been executed over the objections of an international court and the Mexican government, which contended he was denied access to legal help from his consulate.

With the parents of his victims watching a few feet away, Jose Medellin apologized before he was executed for his part in a horrific attack on two teenage girls 15 years ago.

"I'm sorry my actions caused you pain," Jose Medellin told the teens' parents late Tuesday. "I hope this brings you the closure that you seek."

Nine minutes later, Medellin was pronounced dead. His execution, the fifth this year in Texas, was delayed for about four hours while the U.S. Supreme Court weighed his appeal.

"It's been a long night," Randy Ertman, whose daughter was killed by Medellin and five other gang members, said after watching the 33-year-old man receive lethal injection.

The appeal to the nation's highest court focused on whether Medellin was denied treaty-guaranteed help from the Mexican consulate when he was arrested.

The court rejected his request for a reprieve, with the majority opinion noting that the Justice Department had not sought the court's intervention.

"Its silence is no surprise," the court said, adding that prosecutors never wavered from their position that Medellin "was not prejudiced by his lack of consular access."

Four justices dissented.

The case attracted attention after the International Court of Justice said Medellin and some 50 other Mexicans on death row around the United States should have new hearings in U.S. courts to determine whether the 1963 Vienna Convention treaty was violated during their arrests.

Texas authorities argued Medellin, who came to the United States when he was 3 and grew up in Houston, never sought Mexican consular protections until four years after he was arrested. By then, he already had been tried for capital murder, convicted and condemned.

Medellin was the first to die among the cases cited by the international court, also known as the World Court.

"It's important to recall this is a case not just about one Mexican national on death row in Texas," one of his lawyers, Sandra Babcock, said after watching him die. "It's also about ordinary Americans who count on the protection of the consulate when they travel abroad to strange lands. It's about the reputation of the United States as a nation that adheres to the rule of law."

President Bush asked states to review the cases, but the U.S. Supreme Court ruled earlier this year neither the president nor the international court could force Texas to wait.

Mexico's Foreign Relations Department said it sent a note of protest to the State Department about Medellin's case.

The statement said officials "were concerned for the precedent that (the execution) may create for the rights of Mexican nationals who may be detained in that country."

In their appeal, Medellin's lawyers warned his execution could endanger Americans abroad if they get into legal trouble and said Congress or the Texas Legislature should be given a chance to pass a law setting up procedures for new hearings before he was executed.

A bill to implement the international court's ruling wasn't introduced in Congress until last month. The Texas Legislature doesn't meet until January.

"State and federal courts — on three separate occasions — have already satisfied the World Court's suggestion that American courts examine whether Medellin suffered actual legal harm when authorities did not inform him about certain rights under the Vienna Convention," said Jerry Strickland, a spokesman for the Texas Attorney General's Office. "On all three occasions, state and federal courts concluded that Medellin suffered no legal harm."

Elizabeth Pena, 16, and Jennifer Ertman, 14, both of Houston, were gang raped, beaten and strangled in June 1993. Their remains were found four days later. The brother of one of the gang members, disgusted to learn about his sibling's involvement in the attack, tipped police, leading to the arrests.

Medellin, who was 18 at the time, was one of five to get the death penalty for the girls' deaths.

One companion, Derrick O'Brien, was executed two years ago. Another, Peter Cantu, described as the ringleader of the group, is awaiting execution but a date has not been set.

"Looking forward every day to that," said Adolfo Pena, Elizabeth's father.

Two others, Efrain Perez and Raul Villarreal, had their death sentences commuted to life in prison when the Supreme Court barred executions for those who were 17 at the time of their crimes.

The sixth person convicted, Medellin's brother, Vernancio, was 14 at the time and is serving a 40-year prison term.

At least six other Mexican nationals have been executed in Texas since 1982, when the state resumed carrying out capital punishment.

- Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    After reading this Jennifer Ertman & Elizabeth Pena - murder victims the needle was TOO humane. I think the rope and a pickup would be more a much better form of justice.

Not to mention that Secretary Rice and Attorney General Mukasey both sent letters to Gov. Perry to not execute this scum (my words not theirs) so the case could be reviewed by the Hague after a letter was sent to the Mexican Consulate by Mr. Medellin.

Finally Rick Perry used the grey matter between his ears for a good cause.

At least Mr. Medellin went out like a man, he apologized and said that he hopes his punishment brings closure to the family. I hope he meant it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'm not pro capital punishment in its current administration, but the fact that the man is Mexican should not bear in either direction of what penalty he gets. BUT the fact that some international big shots ordered it stopped make me think it a good thing to carry on.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

And if the dems take congress and the front office, they'll do everything they can to sign on to it also. You call that patriotism?

GOD BLESS TEXAS!
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Our laws are pretty fair. This was just another attempt by the World Court to gain more of a foothold over the US. And again there are 4 justices who need to retire.

I'm voting for the first guy (or gal) who says that part of their platform is to forcibly remove the UN from US soil.

Sponsored Links