National Night Out

National Night Out

This is a discussion on National Night Out within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was reading through this thread about our neighborhoods and who gets them, I didn't want to hijack the tread so I started this one. ...

National Night Out

I was reading through this thread about our neighborhoods and who gets them, I didn't want to hijack the tread so I started this one.

How many of you participated in the National Night Out that took place for all but Texas last Tuesday night? In Texas we get to do it on October 7 thankfully, since it is much, much cooler then.

I am going to head up our blocks get together this year, since unfortunately our neighborhood has not done this in the 15 years since we have lived in our home. I figured now is as good a time as any to get to know our neighbors a bit better and talk about some of the things that we see going on that need to be fixed.

The other thread linked above seemed to get into the degree of wrongness of smoking dope and the like, which I prefer not to get into. I kind of group that in with running stop signs, and playing loud music, not mowing vacant lots, or leaving cars that aren't running parked in the yard or on the street, and other annoying violations that generally don't do any damage to society but have an effect on a neighborhood.

So, if you did participate in the National Night Out, please tell us how it went and if you think it will make a difference for the well being and safety of your neighborhood. If you didn't, do you do other things in, or with your neighbors to try to help out the neighborhood and community?

I am looking for proactive things here really, not reactive as in "I keep an eye out on things, or sit up at night with my shotty and phone ready to inform the police of x"

I hope there are some good responses and people are really looking out for their communities and neighborhoods.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

To me, the main benefit is to talk to the local cops in a more relaxed atmosphere. They ended up sharing some of the things they are observing and some recent arrests they made. The neighbors filled in some of the gaps and told them about other areas to watch. It is one of these things were you are not sure if something is worth while calling in, you can bounce it off the officers and see if they are aware of it, or if they know that its nothing to worry about.

Another emphasize is for neighbors to get to know each other. Not a big issue here as the area is pretty tight already.

One good thing about Jacksonville: The local Sheriffs department has something called "Shadco" (Sheriffs Advisory Council). They have meetings in the community once a month and everybody can come to talk to the officers. Once in a while there is a talk by someone from the Sheriffs department (e.g. about burglary prevention and such).
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I might participate this year, I usually don't talk to many of my neighbors but am trying to become more sociable lately. I guess it is part wanting to know who I can trust and part just wanting to be more personable.

I am not sure there is much the LEOs can tell us, our HOA publishes all infractions in our newsletter, which can read a little funny at times with some of the knucklehead stuff that people do in middle class neighborhoods.

But it would be good to get to know the LEOs that patrol my area.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    Never heard of it.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Here is a link to the page.

It is a crime and drug prevention event held annually.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links