Ever watch the show 48 hours?

This is a discussion on Ever watch the show 48 hours? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ever watch the show “48”? It shows LE investigating murders in the first 48 hours after the crime is committed and how those 2 days ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever watch the show 48 hours?

Ever watch the show 48 hours?

Ever watch the show “48”? It shows LE investigating murders in the first 48 hours after the crime is committed and how those 2 days are very important to catching and convicting the killers. Anyway I was watching last night and they had narrowed their search to a particular suspect. These guys always seem to have “street names” which is not a good sign if you ask me. Anyway they tell you a little about the creep as they always seem to have a record. (Hard to believe right?) Well this particular upstanding young man had been convicted twice for “murder”. My wife and I looked at each other and we both asked, “Did I hear that right”? He was convicted TWICE for murder and now may have murdered a third time. What does it take to put someone in jail these days? And people wonder why I carry a gun.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

We saw the same program and wondered out loud, "How in the world did this creep get out after being convicted twice? We have lost our country!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Yep and It's not just that almost every suspect is in the database and has multiple felony convictions
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I watch the show most of the time and the bad guys always act the same way when caught.
    They pull their arms inside their XXXXXL T shirts or tuck it over their mouth and nose.

They say they didn't do anything and want to go home.
    They want their Mommas.
    It is scarey how little regard some people hae for human life!

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Its a good program and tells it like it really is. Everybody should be required to watch. Maybe some of the PC crowd would learn something - forget that - the PC crowd already has all the solutions.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    Its a good program and tells it like it really is. Everybody should be required to watch. Maybe some of the PC crowd would learn something - forget that - the PC crowd already has all the solutions.
    Almost, minus a lot of stuff.
    Last edited by SIXTO; August 9th, 2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: messed up the quote tags
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I've watched it a few times, and find it to be a good show.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

one of my fav shows.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

From a slightly different slant...

I enjoy that show and watch it every time I see a new episode.

There is one thing for us all to learn from this program...if ever in police custody for any reason...KEEP YOUR YAPPER SHUT...without an attorney present. If involved in a self-defense incident, say nothing until you have a 'professional' present to help you present the truth.

Stay armed...keep an attorney's # in your wallet...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

M2
    Yeah, I watch it when I can catch it, and find it is a very enlightening show!

One of the first things I noticed was that Horatio isn't around doing 5-minute DNA tests at every crime scene. Secondly, most of the cases are solved because someone talks...either a witness or a co-conspirator so if you're gonna do a crime, pic your friends wisely! Lastly, most of the cases are solved using good, old-fashioned police work! I think TV has spoiled our minds to what reality is all about, but shows like this prove that in the real world, it still takes hard work and smarts to beat the bad guys!

By the way, the premise is that if a lead isn't obtained in the first 48 hours after a crime, the chance of solving that crime decreases by 50%...

And God bless the outstanding law enforcement professionals who work 14+ hour days to ensure justice is served for all!

Cheers! M2

Movies and TV have ruined our impression of crimes and ploice. From Perry Mason's almost perfect record and witness stand confessions to the Sci-Fi stories on CSI. It ain't like that in real life.

Years ago I heard Paul Harvey tell about a fiml maker that wanted real life war footage for a movie he was making. He arranged to film the Mexican army out on the battlefields during actual battles and shot many reels of film. When they started editing the film all of it wound on the cutting roome floor. It wasn't exciting and fast moving enough for a hollywood movie. law and Order always amazes me on how in one week they can go from a crime being committed to the NY Surpreme court.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    From a slightly different slant...

I enjoy that show and watch it every time I see a new episode.

There is one thing for us all to learn from this program...if ever in police custody for any reason...KEEP YOUR YAPPER SHUT...without an attorney present. If involved in a self-defense incident, say nothing until you have a 'professional' present to help you present the truth.

Stay armed...keep an attorney's # in your wallet...stay safe!
    And if you can't get it that way, maybe this will help:
    YouTube - Homicide: Life on the Street - The Documentary
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I love this show. I thinking of purchasing the dvd's. Homicide, life on the street was a fav of mine prior to seeing this show.

yup, it is mighty scary that certain people in our society do not value life at all. They will take it for any material advantage. what really strikes me is that most of these murderers are able bodied young men. why not find a job instead of killing somebody to get whatever the poor victim owned?

3rd conviction for murder? what the heck is this person doing out in the community? Am I supposed to trust my state and federal government if they let people with prior convictions for multiple murders out of the prison system?

in the meantime, I root for the detectives to do their job well and zealously. yut.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

another great series was the HBO series "The Wire!"

Like "Homicide, Life on the Streets" it is set in Baltimore.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I think we as American are slowly being assimilated..

All these Legal Shows

Judge Judy, Alex, Mabel, Joe Brown
    CSI NY,Vegas,Miami
    Cold Case,Law and Order,SVN, CI
    Bounty Hunters shows

Subliminal message to help the BGs?
    Last edited by IfIhaveto; August 11th, 2008 at 03:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links