The Kiss Of Death

The Kiss Of Death

This is a discussion on The Kiss Of Death within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This incident just happened. I'm putting here because it is off topic & not for the humor. It's not a funny story but, it sure ...

Administrator

The Kiss Of Death

This incident just happened. I'm putting here because it is off topic & not for the humor. It's not a funny story but, it sure is a bizarre story.
    I have heard before that people who are allergic to peanuts could have a severe allergic reaction after eating just one or two peanuts.
    I guess it's true & that just coming into contact with traces of peanuts can kill. Unreal.

Teenager with peanut allergy dies after a kiss
    CTV.ca News Staff

A Quebec teenager with a peanut allergy has died after kissing her boyfriend who had eaten a peanut butter sandwich hours earlier.

Fifteen-year-old Christina Desforges died Monday. She went into anaphylactic shock and in spite of being given an adrenalin shot, could not be revived.

Desforges lived 250 km north of Quebec City in Saguenay.

The official cause of the teen's death has not yet been released.

Pediatric allergist Karen Sigman told CTV's Tania Krywiak if peanuts are still on the tongue or the lips, they can still cause a reaction.

Sigman says teenagers with allergies have to let their friends know.

"If they're going to be dating somebody that they have to tell the people they're close to that they're allergic to make sure the people they're with aren't in contact with those nuts or peanuts," Sigman said.

Parents of children with nut and peanut allergies have the added pressure of constantly watching what their offspring are eating.

Terri Elituv, mother of 12-year-old Jake Elituv, told CTV News they always watch out for snacks that include peanuts, or traces of the legume.

"Everything is just sort of fraught with this underlying tension, you're anxious about what he's going to have, what he could touch," she said.

Elituv's other concern is what happens when her son becomes more independent in his teen years -- and might not share his allergy concerns with friends at parties.

Desforges' parents are planning a memorial service Saturday.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thats weird i wouldnt think that any transfer that way would be enough but weird

Assistant Administrator
    What puzzles me - and I did hear of this case in a news headlines email earlier - is that when I was a kid - it was not known of at all. Not to my knowledge anyways.

Insect stings yeah - and some minor effects from household allergies but - this nut thing and it's apparent lethality - hey, something has changed a lot to allow for this.

OK - nuts are high protein and usually allergies are protein sensitivities but - this generation of kids has something wrong. I hazard a guess it is a combination of factors - food additives for one - leading to immune system idiosyncracies and greater trend to allergies in general. Heck - even asthma is way more prevalent thean ever before.

This case is bizarre in the extreme as well as downright tragic. Sensitization and then reaction to a foreign protein has to be very extreme to induce anaphylactic shock.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Post P95Carry

Yes, that's true.

Of course maybe some folks died back then & they had no idea why.

My sisters kids were constantly on antibiotics & with ear infections & asthma & allergy problems & LOTS of other kids their age with the very same problems.

So Yep...for sure additives and chemicals & preservatives & artificial flavors & colors....and what is this with parents giving their kids DIET SODA to drink all the time?
    Starting little 3 & 4 year old kids out on artificial sweeteners.

Trust me...the people who invented the latest "artificial sweetener" don't use it. I know that for a fact.

Suggestion: Folks with little kids.
    Buy a bottle of pure carbonated water & a bottle of Grape Juice & give that mixed 50/50 to your kids.
    It will actually BE GOOD & HEALTHY for them.

Lead Moderator
    Boy! Talk about "the kiss of death"!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    QK - bingo!!! Yes, the artificial sweeteners deal - I have grave concerns on these. I drink regular soda and to heck with the sugar aspect - better that for me than the (yuk) diet stuff - hate it and it's possible risks.

Aspartame has much overshadowing its ''safety'' and the latest thing - Sucralose (Splenda) - is sugar yeah but - ''converted'' by chlorination or some such. Sheesh - dread to thing what those molecules look like!!

Here are Cl atoms hooked on to sucrose. Three hydroxyls been replaced!

Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    I appreciate the concern about the risk of artificial sweeteners, but it appears to me that diabetes (and hence, sugar) is a greater risk to more people than the artificial sweetener risk.

My doctor, who is an unusual health oriented doctor, told me that he has yet to see a bona fide study that shows that artificial sweeteners were conclusively correlated to any ill effects.

He did say that there have been a bunch of reports that indicated sweeteners to linked to certain disease, but further research and studies have refuted the findings.

The final point to me was when he said he wasn't concerned that his children drink and eat products with artificial sweeteners in them.

Assistant Administrator
    Hi Ron, well I'll agree that sugar is nasty ''poison'' for those with diabetes and diabetic tendencies - no question on that.

However - a web search and broad reading on, particularly, aspartame, do for me reveal matters of significant concern. Even incidentally - another common addition in foodstuffs - coloring - and while some of the supposed''bad'' ones from way back have been weeded out, there are still IIRC connections between the chemistry of analine dyes and phenols - not IMO exactly useful substances!

Opinions vary quite a lot and of course, and we each make our own personal decisions based on risk assessment. Heck, even apple seeds are toxic!
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Hey Chris,

I don't doubt that we can find references and studies that show things are bad for us. The issue is the validity of the studies. I've read where reloading is a health hazard because of the lead vapors that are inhaled.

But to return, we know that sugar consumption has increased dramatically in the last 50 years. Diabetes has increased dramatically in the last 50 years; obesity has increased dramatically in the past 50 years. In fact, obesity is becoming an epidemic and even among our younger folks. Of course, sugar can't be blamed for all of that, but it plays a major role since it's in so many things and we eat so much of it.

Assistant Administrator
    Agreed Ron re sugar - not denying that - and have felt for ages that high intake of sugars has actually dirctly cause diabetes, particularly in younger folks. Darned sugar gets into everything in some form - I often notice how my bread tastes too sweet - sugar! Can of beans - sugar. It's everywhere.

Trouble is with high sugars - after intake blood sugar goes ballistic due to rapid absorbtion. Body says ''hey, insulin needed''! Pancreas goes beserk to supply then probably OD's the person - end result - the sugar surplus is hit but then can leave a deficit. I regard this sometimes as trauma on the Islets of Langerhans.!!

Low sugars - instance starches are at least better because conversion and release is slower but even so - calorific intake for most folks far exceeds their needs.

Sorry - rambling! Many things are ''bad for us'' but I guess we just have to be a bit selective where we can, according to our personal interpretations.
    Chris - P95

Links