The post office always delivers....

This is a discussion on The post office always delivers.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We had an amusing moment at the office today when we received a returned letter.... that was postmarked five years ago....

VIP Member

We had an amusing moment at the office today when we received a returned letter....

that was postmarked five years ago.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Hope it was nothing important...

I don't have actual numbers, but I guess if you compare the number of letters delivered to the number of letters lost or delivered way too late, the postal service does quite a remarkable job.

Could be better, though. I hate to find these cards that say "you weren't there, so pick up your parcel tomorrow at the post office, where you can spend 45 minutes looking for a parking slot" when they could have just handed it to my neighbors.

Anyway... so you guys at S.W.A.T. magazine are bored enough to check the date on the stamps when you get mail... got a job for me?
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Assistant Administrator
    Five years is pretty astounding!!!

I forget the details but I was told of a letter that arrived in US after many months, having gone to its destination via Australia and Singapore!

Indeed, considering mail volume, the postal service does do pretty darned well.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    No, this wasn't for S.W.A.T. - I work from home on that. This for my p/t job, which does happen to be another publishing company.

The letter dealt with a publication that we haven't done in... 3 years.

I vaguely recall a news story about a mail bag found from an airplane that crashed fifty years ago. The post office said they do their best to deliver the mail, anyway.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator

Talking

I'm sure there is still some old Pony Express Mail "out there" somewhere still waiting to be delivered.

Well, sometimes they don't.
    Several times each week I get other people's mail. I can only assume they get mine. I do try and make sure the individuals get their's. The same can't be said about them.
    Ask Tim at CCW
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Quote Originally Posted by ibex
    I don't have actual numbers, but I guess if you compare the number of letters delivered to the number of letters lost or delivered way too late, the postal service does quite a remarkable job.
    You might take a different view when you are stopped for a traffic violation and the cop arrests you because there's a bench warrent for failure to appear in court to answer a summons that was mailed to you.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

You might take a different view when you are stopped for a traffic violation and the cop arrests you because there's a bench warrent for failure to appear in court to answer a summons that was mailed to you.
    Okay, I agree that this must be a pain in the, um, donkey.

On the other hand, I have received letters that had nothing but my name and city on it. Not even the ZIP code. Sometimes they perform better than what can be expected of them, sometimes they screw up. They're just people like us, after all.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Lead Moderator
    Betty, Sounds like you have my mail weenie. I've met most of my neighbors taking them their mail........ Delivered to MY mail box. I've often wondered what I haven't gotten.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

My "Mail Carrier"

My "Mail Carrier" was slightly intoxicated one day:1saufen:& pulled his mail truck over beside me....while I was walking the dog down the "main drag" in my area & then proceeded to "hit me up" for $20.00 until NEXT WEEK....5 months ago.
    I never did get that 20 bucks back & now he has a different mail route. :chairshot
    Am I a "chump" or what?.....

Links