Pellet stoves or other heat sources

This is a discussion on Pellet stoves or other heat sources within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SIXTO No, what I'm talking about does vent to the outside, but it goes straight out the wall with no stack or ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pellet stoves or other heat sources

VIP Member

OK, I've seen these, using coal too

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No, what I'm talking about does vent to the outside, but it goes straight out the wall with no stack or traditional chimney.
    O.K. Now I know what you are looking for. Again, referring to my old uncle, when he first began using wood, direct vent is how his wood burner was vented. Later, he built a fancier chimney. Ran the metal flue to the ceiling and then out through the wall into a brick chimney that then went above the room and the roof line.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where you might look for direct vent wood burners. I haven't seen any in years. But then, a cold day here is 34 degrees.

I think a direct vent wood burner is a great idea for almost any household where the temps can get below freezing.

All it takes to lose the electricity is an ice storm; and a wood burner can keep you comfy and save the pipes. It is also a good supplement for keeping the gas bills down if you have access to something you can burn.

My uncle actually would sometimes buy coal. His furnace was able to burn that as well as wood, and if I recall, it tended to burn more slowly and last through the night better.

Dr. Lewall is correct. You want the stack well above the eves, if not the roof line. The higher the better.
    Last edited by Hopyard; August 12th, 2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Add stuff

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    talk to someone who is licensed to install these systems. They would know better than any of us here on line as they know better your area and situation..good luck!
    Agreed 110%, I don't need a fire! I'm more wondering about how cost effective these things are. Of course the guys who sell them say they are the best thing since PB&J.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    All it takes to lose the electricity is an ice storm; and a wood burner can keep you comfy and save the pipes. It is also a good supplement for keeping the gas bills down if you have access to something you can burn.
    That is exactly why I want one. Gas isn't getting cheaper, and we get some good ice storms here in SW Ohio. The snow isn't all that much, but when it does snow, it cripples the area. People haven't figures out how to deal with it yet I guess. I went for 4 or 5 days last winter without power... good thing my gas wasn't interrupted. With small kids that could be a nightmare.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array PackerBackerToo's Avatar
    I am confused by "direct vent" as you use it.

I had a Lopi Endeavor in CA - $1500 to purchase. I installed it with my son's help. It was a tremendous stove. I cut up oak pallets acquired from the 29 Palms Marine Base wood lot.

While I did not purchase it, Lopi had an kit/option that drew fresh air (direct vent?) for combustion directly from outside. This option eliminated heated indoor air venting out the stove pipe.

Lopi makes stoves and inserts - gas, wood and pellet. Lopi Stoves: Wood stoves, Pellet Stoves, Gas Stoves, and Fireplace Inserts

Administrator
    I want a through the wall type of install, because I don't have a masonry hearth and I don't want the expense of adding one. I am trying to also avoid having a stack running up the exterior of my house, because I can't think of anyway to do it that wouldn't be ugly, unless I build another chase for it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

EW3
    This is the exact setup my Dad has. One pipe; goes vertically through wall to outside:

"Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Mine paid for itself over one holiday weekend. The day before Thanksgiving we had bad / cold weather. My furnace went tango uniform after close of business.

I called service company and was told that from COB wed until Start of Business Monday was considered holiday. If I wanted service, I needed to pay double time and one-half for labor, plus a surcharge for the service. And that there was a high probability that the part would have to be ordered and I would still have to wait.

Cranked my fireplace insert and kept the house warm enough until the following Monday when the service techs came.

The only thing I do not like about mine (insert, not free standing) is that I have to scoop the ashes out and that means letting the fire burn down. I really would have liked to have one where there is an ash catcher.

VIP Member

Ice storms are the worst

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Agreed 110%, I don't need a fire! I'm more wondering about how cost effective these things are. Of course the guys who sell them say they are the best thing since PB&J.

That is exactly why I want one. Gas isn't getting cheaper, and we get some good ice storms here in SW Ohio. The snow isn't all that much, but when it does snow, it cripples the area. People haven't figures out how to deal with it yet I guess. I went for 4 or 5 days last winter without power... good thing my gas wasn't interrupted. With small kids that could be a nightmare.
    Sixto, having spent part of my youth in rural CT (rocky winters) and some of my youth before electric power reached our place, I know that you can not rely on a gas furnace in the winter time. The only option other than a wood burner might be some of the newer model ventless gas heaters that run on propane. Or perhaps a vented gas burner that doesn't use electricity for any of its functions. UNLESS you just love the smell of kerosene. I have a 60 year old love-hate relationship with that aroma. But, I understand that the more modern kerosene burners are mostly "smell" free and don' need venting, so at least you can get past an emergency.

A wood burner has a lot more character. Wood burners add charm to the home. You are on the right track and I wish you luck finding a model that will work for you.

I wish the climate here was a little colder. I would love to put a small wood burner in my bedroom---just for the character and charm.

There aint nuttin finer than backing up to a wood stove on a cold morning, hikin up your skirt to toast your buns!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    There aint nuttin finer than backing up to a wood stove on a cold morning, hikin up your skirt to toast your buns!
    Oh, now I remember...we don't want to see this one either!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

SIXTWO, if you decide to get a wood stove, look for one that is firebrick lined. Firebricks will prevent the woodstove from burning out and will last you a lifetime. Firebricks are easy to replace at any lumber/do it yourself home store. My stove requires that the bricks be sliced in half and when I have to replace them (the bricks come in standard full size) I will note where a brick home is being built and will stop and offer a six pack or two for the brick layers to cut my firebricks for me..simple solution.

Also, if you do not get a pellet stove but are in need for wood, look to see where a local saw mill is located and ask about purchasing "a bundle of slab wood"..here, a bundle sells for $15 and I can usually get abt a ric and a half out of it. A fair price for anyone selling a ric of wood is between $40-45...I see all the time people trying to rip people off by selling a ric for more than $45...have seen a ric sell for more than 65! Here in Arkansas, it is unlawful to sell wood by the ric as it is not an accurate measurement of wood. A cord is an accurate measurement and can be sold as a whole cord or partial cotd, 1/3, 1/2 cord etc..one of lifes simple pleasures is, sleeping with a window open and having a wif of hickory smoke from the flue come in. Good luck!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links