Pellet stoves or other heat sources

This is a discussion on Pellet stoves or other heat sources within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does anyone use a pellet stove or even a wood burner that is direct vent? I'm looking for a alternative/backup heat source but the problem ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet stoves or other heat sources

Administrator

Pellet stoves or other heat sources

Does anyone use a pellet stove or even a wood burner that is direct vent? I'm looking for a alternative/backup heat source but the problem I have is that it needs to be direct vent due to the way my house is set up. I already have the typical fireplace.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Does anyone use a pellet stove or even a wood burner that is direct vent?
    I use a wood stove, but it's not DV. I just pull the interior air for mine Sorry. But it does crank out the heat. It's an old Black Bart II wood burner, although it's also rated for coal. BIG is the correct descriptive word. I can fit 32" logs in mine. UGGA UGGA OOOH...FIEEEYYEEERE!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Heated with wood for many years in MI...it was the main choice for heat.
    In three of our houses, we put an airtight wood burner right into the fireplace...perfect solution.
    Some may think that bringing wood into the living-room is too messy, but with an 'airtight' setup wood is conserved quite well.
    A good ceramic type stove is attractive, efficient, and expensive.

We have not fixed the problem of proper heating, and carrying wood...it's called Florida!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I had an old wood burning fireplace insert, but just this past Febuary I replaced it with a corn / pellet burning insert. My dad also bought a freestanding one. It is not direct vent, but it really cranks out the heat.

If you have the typical fireplace, you should know that typical fireplaces actually lose more heat than they generate.

What I did was buy a wood burning fireplace insert (same as a wood stove, but nestled in the fireplace). And have the contractors put in 4" metal tubing directly from the stove through the chimmney and ending at the top of the chimney.

It is waay more efficient. The fire is conained. I am not reliant upon electricity to keep it running.

You might want to take a look at fireplace inserts.

VIP Member
    The problem with a pellet stove is that you need a back-up power source because they need electricity to run the feed auger and the blower fan. The make them for that purpose though. As for heating mine heated a 1500 sq ft split foyer with no problems.

You could go LP or natural gas direct vent, then you would only need to run a low speed fan. Although they typically aren't sized to heat the entire house my LP unit heated about half my 1800 sq ft split level.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

My only source of heat is wood, has been for the past 27 yrs..had a friend who had pellet and at first he liked it. The when he needed it most, the power would go off for hours and he found it no different than just plain old wood, just a wee bit more expensive. I love cutting wood in the winter, great exercise, dangerous yes, but still good exercise and helps build your mental awareness (knowing where that chain is at all times!)

Nothing smells better than breakfast being cooked on a wood stove!

If you go wood, also learn the difference between a ric and a cord..many people are ripped off due to lack of knowledge.
    "Brains before Bullets"

BTW, if you already have a fireplace, go with an insert! Also have a licensed installer put it in cause your insurance will want to know it was done right.
    "Brains before Bullets"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    If you have the typical fireplace, you should know that typical fireplaces actually lose more heat than they generate.
    Yeah, I sure do; hence the reason for my questions.

My fireplace now is a natural gas direct vent, I cant do an insert because there is nothing in insert into. Also, the existing fireplace is in a poor spot to heat the house, it could if it where in a more central location.
    "Just blame Sixto"

EW3
    My Dad has had a direct vent, freestanding model for about 5 years now. It has a thermostat and automatic start; very high tech and very safe. I recall it cost him around $1500, but since their house is oil heat, it has paid for itself many times over.

We usually load up his pickup with a few loads of pellets, 1 ton(I think they are 40 lb bags) that ususally gets them through the winter. Man that thing puts out some nice heat! The only complaint he has, is as pellet stoves become more and more popular, the pellets are going up in price and sell out fast. He basically has to monitor the place where they are sold and jump the day they are delivered, or they will sell out in no time flat!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah, I sure do; hence the reason for my questions.

My fireplace now is a natural gas direct vent, I cant do an insert because there is nothing in insert into. Also, the existing fireplace is in a poor spot to heat the house, it could if it where in a more central location.
    Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. I have a quadrafire and I do not see them having options for direct vent wood or pellet.

There is probably a logical reason that gas / propane are offered in direct vent and wood/pellet are not. Heck if I know it.

I guess you only ask the hard questions here.

Good luck in your search.

Administrator
    I've seen them before, I just didn't know if they are any good or not. It would be a somewhat sizable investment to make, and I'm willing, so long as I get to see the payoff.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I'm not sure I know what direct vent means in this context.

My Uncle used a wood stove to supplement his oil heat for very many years--until he was too old to cut the wood; then his neighbor and son would cut it and pile it up for him. The stove, needing no electricity, was also a great back up for when blizzards took down the electric lines.

The burnt gas was vented through a long flue so that the flue itself also radiated heat into the house.

If by direct vent you mean that there is no venting to the outside (as on some ventless gas heaters) I would be skeptical of the safety of these---and certainly have plenty of CO monitors with fresh batteries around.

Administrator
    No, what I'm talking about does vent to the outside, but it goes straight out the wall with no stack or traditional chimney.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You will need a stack on the vent for the stove to properly vent..for every 90 deg bend you have in the system, that is equivilent to an extra 15 feet of stack added on..the more stack/taller the pipe, the harder it is for the stove to breathe properly..if you vent thru the wall, you will want to make sure your stack extends a couple of feet above the eve's..no stack will cause smoke stains on the side of your house and could possibly be a fire hazard..again, talk to someone who is licensed to install these systems. They would know better than any of us here on line as they know better your area and situation..good luck!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links