What is so special about a Harley?

This is a discussion on What is so special about a Harley? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; the sooner they start enforcing muffler laws the better! other than that harleys are ok....

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is so special about a Harley?

the sooner they start enforcing muffler laws the better! other than that harleys are ok.

2. Remove Ads

I beleive that there are 3 sounds at are trademarked. the AT&T bong, The MGM lion roar, the sound of a Harley.

I know they have killer resale and gas prices sure are helping. A friend at work sold his '94 Road King Classic two weeks ago (went in four days) for more than he paid four years ago. Another friend said he went to the dealership this weekend and there were hardly any bikes there. He asked a salesman if they were going out of business, he replied the shop couldn't keep them on the floor.

Harleys are about being part of a tribe. There are people who do it for fashion, then there are the dyed-in-the-wool "bikers"- the guys who will ride a thousand miles in a weekend for a children's charity, or maybe just for the heck of it. The guys who'll stop and help you change a flat. The guys who ride, rain or shine.

I know they're Americana and all, but my friend's Nightster is a nightmare to ride with. He's dragging pegs at every bend and has a rough time keeping up and the wind is pretty rough battering him. I don't ride insanely on the street , that's what trackdays are for. A Harley just doesn't have the ground clearance to be "fun" for me. I might get one eventually, but that'll be for the day my back can't take being in a full tuck.

What really gets me are the ones with straight pipes, the kind that hurt MY ears when they are near me. Loud pipes may save lives, but so does looking out.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Bottem line is, she likes them, you wanna date her, roll with it.

To me though, Harleys aren't all that appealing. They sound just like uncapped(racers term for a car with no exhaust system past the manifolds or headers) 4 cylinder engines. and they are especially horrible when they have improper back pressure and start backfiring when decelerating. I do like the craftsmanship that went into older pre AMF models.

On the other hand a well tuned bike of any age, make and model is OK by me, but then im a machine head.

Maybe this will help answer the OP.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member
    I rode dirt bikes and raced motocross until I was 17, but when it came time to get a vehicle, I got a car. I new I was to wild for a motorcycle, on the streets. Back then I wouldn't have even looked at a Harley, they just didn't have the performance and still don't have the performance of a Jap bike. Now that I am going through my midlife crises, I bought a Harley. There is nothing like pulling up somewhere and it's like you are a rock star, everyone is looking and they want to talk to you about your bike. It feels like a muscle car without the muscle, but with the sound and eye catching looks.

The jewelry factor.

:P
    Last edited by rocky; August 11th, 2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: language

On the farm one day, a horse got caught in the mud and could not get out. He struggled and struggled and struggled but only got stuck deeper in the mud. A chicken nearby saw what had happened and went and got the farmer's old Harley started, drove over to the mud hole, threw a rope and managed to get the horse out.

The horse was very grateful and vowed to help the chicken if he ever needed.

Few days later, the chicken became caught in the smae mud hole. This time the horse was able to get close to the mud hole and the chicken was able to grab the horse's "private member" and be pulled out of the mud.

Moral of the story: If you're hung like a horse, you don't need a harley to get chicks.

Bad joke but I had to throw it out with a picture of my ride.

FLHRCI.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by maxx366 View Post
    the sooner they start enforcing muffler laws the better! other than that harleys are ok.
    I thought it was against the law for a Harley to have mufflers. I really can't remember the last time I saw one with a muffler except maybe a couple of years ogo in the mountains with a couple in their 70's riding one. They were staying at the same motel we were and a some nice folks.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Nothing...NOTHING...sounds like a Harley!
    ahhh the sound of inefficiency.

Having lived on Peninsula blvd in Daytona Beach, on the same block as the Boot Hill I can say I hate the sound of Harleys.

To me they are very much the same sort of artificial male enhancement that a Nickel Plated Desert Eagle is.

There is nothing 'special' about a Harley. Their mufflers are obnoxious and their performance leaves something to be desired versus the Jap bikes. Too many of their riders seem to have an identity crisis.

Just saw a '09 V-Rod in Pewter Pearl paint cruise by, earlier today. Beautiful bike. The guy driving looked like he didn't have a care in the world. He was just out enjoying the scenery.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag View Post

Maybe this will help answer the OP.
    Why you post a picture of a Honda in drag on a Harley thread? Teasing, still have a hard time with radiators. What's special is EMOTION. All women have the same plumbing, but the one you love has an emotional connection. Convert that to rubber and steel.

V8
    Quote Originally Posted by echobaby View Post
    There is nothing 'special' about a Harley. Their mufflers are obnoxious and their performance leaves something to be desired versus the Jap bikes. Too many of their riders seem to have an identity crisis.
    WOW, I never said this before but... +1

When my wife and I were first married we lived 2 blocks away from a major street that is popular for cruising. There is also a Harley dealership on this same street. Even from 2 blocks away the Harley's were loud enough to wake you up in the middle of the night. I've hated them ever since. The whole "loud pipe saves lives" crap is a poor excuse to annoy everyone around you.

As far as the identity crisis thing goes, I seen an ad in a magazine a few years back that showed a biker gang riding down the road. They where all "dressed up" and the ad read, Drive a BMW. You don't have to dress up like a Viking to ride our bikes". It's been about 5 years and the thought still makes me smile.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links