What is so special about a Harley?

This is a discussion on What is so special about a Harley? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Nothing special about an over-priced, under-powered, over-weight, under-braked and spaghetti framed tractor on two wheels. Dont get me wrong, some people love them and they ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is so special about a Harley?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Nothing special about an over-priced, under-powered, over-weight, under-braked and spaghetti framed tractor on two wheels.

Dont get me wrong, some people love them and they are a comfortable ride. But, as a motorcycle technician for many years, I hated them.

Electrical nightmares, carburetor problems abound (until fuel injection came along on them), they were sloppy handlers because of heavy weight on a not-so-stiff frame, single front disc brakes on many models made for horrifying stops, small disc rotors didnt help braking either and pushrod engines that were horribly inefficient.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Nothing special about an over-priced, under-powered, over-weight, under-braked and spaghetti framed tractor on two wheels. ...
    Hot chick: Nice bike.
    Biker: Thanks.
    Hot Chick: is it a Harley?
    Biker: No, but it was cheaper, has more power, better engineered, and I took the tank badges off so people think it is a harley. It looks just like a harley ... wait, where did she go. Why did she walk away from me?
    ---
    Hot chick: Nice bike.
    Biker: You think so?
    Hot chick: Is it a Harley?
    Biker: Yeah, so what.
    Hot chick: Please take me for a ride. After the ride we'll go back to my place for drinks.
    Biker: OK, but I'm low on gas. As long as you can fill the tank, we'll go.
    VROOOM!!!!

It is not tied to anything logical. It is a visceral thing. And all the hootin and hollerin about low tech, expensive crappy stuff is just that. It is wasted. People are arguing logical/technical merits against an emotional decision.

I saw a great bumper sticker on a car. It said "We don't care what you ride" and it had the HD bar and shield on it. That about sums it up for a majority of riders. They chose the bike that speaks to them and don't give a hoot about other bikes that don't.

Oh, and did I mention, Chicks dig Harleys. I never saw a chick get excited about hopping on a yamasuzihonda UJM. I am no looker, and I have many gals want a ride when the see my Harley or find out I ride a Harley. Now that I'm married, my wifey put the kabosh on that.

Don't be haters.

Glad to hear your lady friend likes to ride, and to answer your questions.

While a Harley is not as suffocated as some of those wiz bang Jap bikes, it is an American icon.

And to truly understand, you have to ride one.

Harley-Davidson | Living By It

this link may help you understand it's followers

Distinguished Member
    The best quote I ever read about a Harley vs other bikes----

Harley is the perfect "motorcycle owner" motorcycle.

GoldWing is the perfect "motorcycle riders" motorcycle.

If you want to say your own a bike, great, go buy a Harley, it will make you feel proud to say you own a Harley, but if you want a bike that you can hop on and put 500-1000 miles on a day if needed, then Wing it. Oh, and if the sound of the Harleys bother you (I do like the sound myself) well if you are on your Wing, just pass them, cause the Wing will walk by them.

All in all, I am glad we have Harley, because the brand does a lot to keep motorcycle riding alive and well.

P.S. I hope you like needles, because if the relationship works out, I can see her name tattooed on your backside.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    P.S. I hope you like needles, because if the relationship works out, I can see her name tattooed on your backside.

Z
    Now that there is funny! Would it be something like this? "I am property of biker Chick"

Asking what's so special about a Harley is kind of like asking what the purpose of life is. After all, what's so special about CCW?
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    Now that there is funny! Would it be something like this? "I am property of biker Chick"
    No, she needs one of those shirts that says, "If you can read this, my man fell off." Of course, he would need the matching shirt that said, "This man doesn't fall off."
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Asking what's so special about a Harley is kind of like asking what the purpose of life is. After all, what's so special about CCW?
    Yup, if you have to ask you are incapable of understanding.

Personally I don't care what people ride. I'll ride with anyone. But to me, I just don't understand buying a Harley-Davidson. Yea it's American made, ok well go buy a Victory. They look better, are better priced, and have better performance. I ride a sport touring/super sport bike. It is light, gets great gas mileage, makes more horsepower than some people cars, chicks TOTALLY dig a guy on a fast bike, insurance costs me 220 for a whole YEAR, I can ride 200miles in a day and am fine, it corners and brakes with the best of them, and I don't have to constantly work on it :) So...as to why anyone would buy something that is overweight, underpowered, and overpriced....beats me. But to each their own, and I'm just glad if people will get out and ride.

There are "posers" in every bike category, and actually most HD riders put a lot of miles on their bike. I just passed the 20,000 mile mark on my bike, and average about 5,000miles a year, up in MI where it snows for 5months outta the year.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Administrator
    One thing I've noticed about the HD crowd is that you can pull into a HD dealer on any given day and have a group of friends to go ride with for the day. That just isn't so with the metric crowd.

I will say, rides with the sport bike guys are a lot of fun, provided you're not with a squid group who finds it more interesting doing power wheelies ('cause they dont know how to use a clutch) and seeing how fast they can eat a tree.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    One thing I've noticed about the HD crowd is that you can pull into a HD dealer on any given day and have a group of friends to go ride with for the day. That just isn't so with the metric crowd.
    Not to mention that HD owners can rent them in other cities like any rental car company, which is kinda cool. Dang I want a bike!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I can't figure out why HD riders have to wear HD clothing. Is it so if they walk away from the bike, they can use the spelling on their jacket to find their bike again?
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SGCasey View Post
    I can't figure out why HD riders have to wear HD clothing. Is it so if they walk away from the bike, they can use the spelling on their jacket to find their bike again?

Thats funny right thar!
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Me: Ya. But what is so special about a Harley?

Her: WHAT??? Are you serious? We are through.

Well, not exactly, but the question she never answered was what is so special about a Harley?
    You don't want to get me started on the Harley jokes.... LMAO. There is nothing "special" about a Harley.

Distinguished Member
    Most of the Harley coats , jackets and boots are made for riders. They have longer sleeves, ventilation, the boots have skid resistant soles. Why do you think people buy a Harley, they surely could buy any bike they want. It's about USA , class , style and a family. When I ride 9 out of 10 Harley riders will give me a wave. It could be a age thing too, most young riders can't afford a Harley. When I was young and wanted a sports car I had to get a Mustang, but I wanted a Corvette. When I sell my bike I will not take a big lose and if I keep it long enough I will get what I paid for it, you can't hardly give away a used Jap bike. I have had both and raced AMA Motorcross 2 years.
    Attached Images

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links