What is so special about a Harley?

This is a discussion on What is so special about a Harley? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Am I the only one that thinks this is the biker's version of 1911 vs. Glock?...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What is so special about a Harley?

Am I the only one that thinks this is the biker's version of 1911 vs. Glock?
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    Hot chick: Nice bike.
    Biker: Thanks.
    Hot Chick: is it a Harley?
    Biker: No, but it was cheaper, has more power, better engineered, and I took the tank badges off so people think it is a harley. It looks just like a harley ... wait, where did she go. Why did she walk away from me?
    ---
    Hot chick: Nice bike.
    Biker: You think so?
    Hot chick: Is it a Harley?
    Biker: Yeah, so what.
    Hot chick: Please take me for a ride. After the ride we'll go back to my place for drinks.
    Biker: OK, but I'm low on gas. As long as you can fill the tank, we'll go.
    VROOOM!!!!

It is not tied to anything logical. It is a visceral thing. And all the hootin and hollerin about low tech, expensive crappy stuff is just that. It is wasted. People are arguing logical/technical merits against an emotional decision.

I saw a great bumper sticker on a car. It said "We don't care what you ride" and it had the HD bar and shield on it. That about sums it up for a majority of riders. They chose the bike that speaks to them and don't give a hoot about other bikes that don't.

Oh, and did I mention, Chicks dig Harleys. I never saw a chick get excited about hopping on a yamasuzihonda UJM. I am no looker, and I have many gals want a ride when the see my Harley or find out I ride a Harley. Now that I'm married, my wifey put the kabosh on that.

Don't be haters.
    I'm not a hater, I don't drink the Kool-Aid. You don't have to ride a Harley to get chicks, that's a myth propagated by harley-exclusive riders. I pulled digits within 60 seconds of riding to a biker bar on my Honda, and I wasn't even in the door. I wasn't even trying. Being a badass is completely different from trying to look like one. My friend at the bar was incredulous and wide-eyed when I walked in and said, "You gotta ride a Harley to be up in here!" I said, "Nope, brand doesn't matter."

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Most of the Harley coats , jackets and boots are made for riders. They have longer sleeves, ventilation, the boots have skid resistant soles. Why do you think people buy a Harley, they surely could buy any bike they want. It's about USA , class , style and a family. When I ride 9 out of 10 Harley riders will give me a wave. It could be a age thing too, most young riders can't afford a Harley. When I was young and wanted a sports car I had to get a Mustang, but I wanted a Corvette. When I sell my bike I will not take a big lose and if I keep it long enough I will get what I paid for it, you can't hardly give away a used Jap bike. I have had both and raced AMA Motorcross 2 years.
    Any bike right now is pulling quite a premium, people are tight on money and they think a bike is a good fuel-efficient alternative to a car.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    ... You don't have to ride a Harley to get chicks, that's a myth propagated by harley-exclusive riders.
    Never said that. It does make it easier though. And it is not a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    I pulled digits within 60 seconds of riding to a biker bar on my Honda, and I wasn't even in the door. I wasn't even trying. Being a badass is completely different from trying to look like one. My friend at the bar was incredulous and wide-eyed when I walked in and said, "You gotta ride a Harley to be up in here!" I said, "Nope, brand doesn't matter."
    What does "pulling digits" mean? Probably negative. You would never have an issue like that with me or the places I go. Sounds like a place with small-minded people.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    What does "pulling digits" mean? Probably negative. You would never have an issue like that with me or the places I go. Sounds like a place with small-minded people.
    I think he's referring to getting a phone number. Positive/negative depends on who's giving you their number.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

The best response I ever heard was "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand".

Lots of different reasons, there are more powerful, better handling, etc. bikes on the market, but there's still nothing like takin a putt on a Harley.

Ask her for a ride, you'll either get it or you won't. Not everyone does. One thing about bike folks, you can't accept them without accepting their bike and lifestyle that goes with it. Lifestyles vary with the bike, and like I said, you'll either get it or you won't. It's not for everyone.

And yes, I agree that the Harley is the 1911 of the motorcycle world. Some carry it because it's familiar, some for the status, some because it just fits. Harley's are no different.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by 1SGCasey View Post
    I can't figure out why HD riders have to wear HD clothing. Is it so if they walk away from the bike, they can use the spelling on their jacket to find their bike again?
    Not all HD riders ware HD products

Motorcycle
    I came across this column some time back

One thing I wish is that HD riders would wave. Most of them don't wave unless the other rider is on a HD.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Haven't read all the responses...but what is special...the cost! It is easily double over other similar bike types and resell is half of what was the original cost (do in most part to a flooded market)...

Rick

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Haven't read all the responses...but what is special...the cost! It is easily double over other similar bike types and resell is half of what was the original cost (do in most part to a flooded market)...

Rick
    That would depend on the model... for example, a used sportster is a dime a dozen, but some of the larger bikes hold their value pretty well and in rare cases actually gain value.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What is so special about a Harley?
    Another American icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks this is the biker's version of 1911 vs. Glock?
    That's it exactly, I've never had a single with mine. I've put 35,000 miles on it in three years. It helps that I live in SOCAl, the land of the never-ending sunshine. It's not for everyone, but it is for me!
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the fact that a certain "out of balance" vibration specific to Harleys is like catnip to a feline. When HD came out with the V-Rod (with its Porsche-designed engine), that was greeted like a pox. That model was radically different and, despite being a Harley, the V-Rod owner was not welcomed into the HD clique. Might as well own a rice-burner! Elitist snobs.

I have a 2000 Sportster 1200 Sport. I'd say that it has all the technical prowess of a John Deere tractor but that would be an insult to JD! Outside of the name, it is really far behind both the Japanese and Euro bikes. Not even close.

BTW, mine is for sale. Less than 4K miles from new!

I have ridden and owned an ecclectic collection of bikes. I currently own an Electraglide standard. For me it is a perfect bike. Why? Because it is slightly underpowered ( still will do over 100 MPH) overweight, and bulky. I can get on it, plug in my ipod, and ride to the adirondacks and back in three days. I know, no great feat but i made it there and back. If I were on a rice rocket, I dont think I would have made it to the end of my street because I dont have the sense God gave a goat when it comes to throttle control. Fast is fast and if it is there I WILL use it. Aside from that it looks cool and my wife is comfy. That in itself is reason enough. Like it says on the back of my wife's truck, "screw it, let's ride".

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    99% of all H-D's are still on the road, the other 1% made it back home :>

Just kidding, I would love to own one.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I'm a woman rider myself and I'm sorry to hear she just dumped you because you don't ride a Harley but some people are just hung up on things and it sounds to me like she is not the woman for you anyway.
    With that being said "I myself have ridden motorcycles since I was ten years old and as I went through the dirt bike, to crotch rockets, to cruiser like Yamaha etc I bought a Harley which is what I ride today and I love this machine more than any of the others. It just sounds good and looks great!!

I personally don't care what brand of motorcycle someone rides just enjoy the ride!

Good Luck and find a woman who does'nt care so much about those material things. This comes from a woman's point of view.
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links