This is a discussion on What is so special about a Harley? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Am I the only one that thinks this is the biker's version of 1911 vs. Glock?...
Am I the only one that thinks this is the biker's version of 1911 vs. Glock?
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen
Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
The best response I ever heard was "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand".
Lots of different reasons, there are more powerful, better handling, etc. bikes on the market, but there's still nothing like takin a putt on a Harley.
Ask her for a ride, you'll either get it or you won't. Not everyone does. One thing about bike folks, you can't accept them without accepting their bike and lifestyle that goes with it. Lifestyles vary with the bike, and like I said, you'll either get it or you won't. It's not for everyone.
And yes, I agree that the Harley is the 1911 of the motorcycle world. Some carry it because it's familiar, some for the status, some because it just fits. Harley's are no different.
If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!
4th Man Ministries
One thing I wish is that HD riders would wave. Most of them don't wave unless the other rider is on a HD.
Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
Haven't read all the responses...but what is special...the cost! It is easily double over other similar bike types and resell is half of what was the original cost (do in most part to a flooded market)...
Another American icon.What is so special about a Harley?
Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the fact that a certain "out of balance" vibration specific to Harleys is like catnip to a feline. When HD came out with the V-Rod (with its Porsche-designed engine), that was greeted like a pox. That model was radically different and, despite being a Harley, the V-Rod owner was not welcomed into the HD clique. Might as well own a rice-burner! Elitist snobs.
I have a 2000 Sportster 1200 Sport. I'd say that it has all the technical prowess of a John Deere tractor but that would be an insult to JD! Outside of the name, it is really far behind both the Japanese and Euro bikes. Not even close.
BTW, mine is for sale. Less than 4K miles from new!
I have ridden and owned an ecclectic collection of bikes. I currently own an Electraglide standard. For me it is a perfect bike. Why? Because it is slightly underpowered ( still will do over 100 MPH) overweight, and bulky. I can get on it, plug in my ipod, and ride to the adirondacks and back in three days. I know, no great feat but i made it there and back. If I were on a rice rocket, I dont think I would have made it to the end of my street because I dont have the sense God gave a goat when it comes to throttle control. Fast is fast and if it is there I WILL use it. Aside from that it looks cool and my wife is comfy. That in itself is reason enough. Like it says on the back of my wife's truck, "screw it, let's ride".
99% of all H-D's are still on the road, the other 1% made it back home :>
Just kidding, I would love to own one.
"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."
- Thomas Jefferson
"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"
"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"
I'm a woman rider myself and I'm sorry to hear she just dumped you because you don't ride a Harley but some people are just hung up on things and it sounds to me like she is not the woman for you anyway.
With that being said "I myself have ridden motorcycles since I was ten years old and as I went through the dirt bike, to crotch rockets, to cruiser like Yamaha etc I bought a Harley which is what I ride today and I love this machine more than any of the others. It just sounds good and looks great!!
I personally don't care what brand of motorcycle someone rides just enjoy the ride!
Good Luck and find a woman who does'nt care so much about those material things. This comes from a woman's point of view.
[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!