What is so special about a Harley?

This is a discussion on What is so special about a Harley? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I like the look on the Harley riders face when I wheelie past him in 3rd going 70 on my Suzuki GSXr 1000....

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What is so special about a Harley?

I like the look on the Harley riders face when I wheelie past him in 3rd
    going 70 on my Suzuki GSXr 1000.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Metric bikes are infinitely better than Harleys. They don't tend to rumble themselves apart... and they cost half as much.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by russy View Post
    I like the look on the Harley riders face when I wheelie past him in 3rd
    going 70 on my Suzuki GSXr 1000.
    The look is not what you think it is. The look means the rider thinks your behavior is indicative of a careless and reckless person wanton of destruction who, when he takes himself out of the gene pool, hopefully will not take any innocents with him.

You want to speed, go to a race track. You want to stunt, join a stunt team that entertains people at biker events (and not on roads that others use).

Reckless behavior leads to bad outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    The look is not what you think it is. The look means the rider thinks your behavior is indicative of a careless and reckless person wanton of destruction who, when he takes himself out of the gene pool, hopefully will not take any innocents with him.

You want to speed, go to a race track. You want to stunt, join a stunt team that entertains people at biker events (and not on roads that others use).

Reckless behavior leads to bad outcomes.
    I new this was coming
    Ok all kidding aside I have a good friend that owns a motorcycle performance shop he has a Dyno and has been getting some great numbers on some of his Harley builds. I have to admit by hanging out over there I am getting the HD bug myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Metric bikes are infinitely better than Harleys. They don't tend to rumble themselves apart... and they cost half as much.
    The technology that goes in them is incredible.

Distinguished Member
    One day you Jap boys will want to be like Evil.
    Last edited by redrick; August 15th, 2008 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    You get about as much respect riding a Jap bike as people that live in a tralier park.
    "Respect" may be one thing, but in reality I find it to be quite the opposite. HDs and trailers rattle themselves apart. Metric bikes and cypress sided houses last a long time.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

Distinguished Member
    But and old Jap bike is worth nothing and women love the rattle.
    Last edited by redrick; August 15th, 2008 at 10:09 AM.

The debate between Harleys and Jap bikes will be around. Just like the debate about 1911s and glocks (insert any new pistol here). There are pros and cons about having any of them. And the fact is, they are all good for what they do. It is just a matter of choice.

I chose to ride a harley because....it is a Harley. People see, know it, have a little envy over it, and want one. When I was younger I rode several jap bikes and had a ball doing it. Almost killed myself a few times being foolish but I survivied. Now I older, wiser, and I just take my sweet time riding with wind in my face.

I shoot a 1911 alot and I carry John Browning's last design as a carry gun. They feel good and I shoot them well. But I also have a kahr and beretta as well as some revolvers. But Browning's design to me it the best.

I respect anyone who rides a bike, no matter what the bike's make. They are part of a brotherhood of bikers. I am not snobbish because I have a Harley. I am snobbish of the idiots on bikes who are doing wheelies on public roads, driving like John Law is after them when they are just going to or from work or the store, weaving in and out of traffic. They give the rest of us bikers a bad name. If you want to race or do stunts, then pick a private place to do it and not on a public highway.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Guy guys guys...it is rice beaters...not Jap bikes...and mine was made in the USA.

Rick

Those who don't have a Harley, will never get Harley. I have had many metric bikes and have had no problems with them, but I am on my second Harley and love them. Anyone riding two wheels are brothers on the road as far as I am concerned, no matter what the decal says. Most everyone I know or have spoken to about bikes will not deny the Harley sound is awesome. I am sure that some will disagree but thats ok.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

HD has the only engine in which the piston doesn't move.... The block moves around it.

HD mirrors should read "Objects in mirror cannot be seen while vehicle is running"

And rottkeeper, I find HDs' sound to be obnoxious.... even more so than those bullet bikes... at least they are metric.

What is so special about a Harley?
    Nothing. Nothing at all is special about Harleys.

Except, they break down a lot more than rice burners.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I ride a harley. Here is a pic from my trip to Colorado from Ohio:

I love riding the Harley, but there is a strong majority of Harley owners who buy into the idea, but do not live it.

I rode over 1200 miles to get to the Colorado Harley Owners Group State Rally. Awards were given for the most distance traveled. I scanned the plates in the lot, and knew I was going to be the winner. When I applied for the award, I was told that the guy from Australia had pretty much sealed the award for himself. I said "Did he ride here from Australia?". "No. He flew here then rented a bike from Denver".

Sure, he might have travelled the farthest while sipping cocktails and taking naps, But my butt was riding cross country to support the event. I would be more understanding if the the official rules had not stated that "trailer queens" could not even enter the contest.
    I have more respect for "trailer queens" than "airplane queens"
    I am no longer a Harley Owners Group member, and I really think I belong in a BMW oners group.

Ultimately, it is not about awards, but the "live to ride" philosophy is gone from the mainstream Harley owners' philosophy, and has been replaced with "live to let others know what you ride, when you are riding".

THE BEST MOTORCYCLE IN THE WORLD IS...
    The one you own!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Links