What is so special about a Harley?

This is a discussion on What is so special about a Harley? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I am maybe possibly thinking about dating this one woman. I was having a garage sale. She brought some stuff up to sell. We ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is so special about a Harley?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

What is so special about a Harley?

So I am maybe possibly thinking about dating this one woman. I was having a garage sale. She brought some stuff up to sell. We were "discussing" a few things. The conversation went something like this:

Me: So you think we should be "dating".

Her: Yes.

Me: You know I carry a gun.

Me: And you are OK with that?

Me: Would you come shooting with me?

Her: Well, I have never shot a gun, but if you are willing to teach me, sure.

Me: Not a problem.

Her: You know I love to ride my motorcycle.

Me: Yes.

Her: You know it is a Harley, right?

Me: Ya. But what is so special about a Harley?

Her: WHAT??? Are you serious? We are through.

Well, not exactly, but the question she never answered was what is so special about a Harley?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    So I am maybe possibly thinking about dating this one woman. I was having a garage sale. She brought some stuff up to sell. We were "discussing" a few things. The conversation went something like this:

Me: So you think we should be "dating".

Me: You know I carry a gun.

Me: And you are OK with that?

Me: Would you come shooting with me?

Her: Well, I have never shot a gun, but if you are willing to teach me, sure.

Me: Not a problem.

Her: You know I love to ride my motorcycle.

Me: Yes.

Her: WHAT??? Are you serious? We are through.

Well, not exactly, but the question she never answered was what is so special about a Harley?
    Nothing...NOTHING...sounds like a Harley!
    I've had many motorcycles...my last was a Honda Shadow 1100...great bike...had it for 5 years. Sold it...moved to FL...after 4 years in FL, I needed another bike...looked and looked...decided it was time to step up to a Harley...never looked back...never a regret.

Stay armed...on a Harley...stay safe!
    Harley...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A Harley is no better, no worse than any other motorcycle. BUT, it has a mystique to it that just can not be beaten! The feel and sound of a Harley are both unique. The Japanese bikes are GOOD bikes, but they just do not have the same feel to them.

It’s kind of like the Ford vs. Chevy thing. A Ford person will not even look at a Chevy and a Chevy person will not even look at a Ford. That doesn’t mean that one is better than the other. Just the way it is.

Without going into too much detail, the Harley engine is a fifty year old design without much power where both connecting rods are attached to the same place on the crankshaft. This gives it the distinctive "potato,potato, cadence. Beyond that Harley has refined each piece to an art form, and their paint is first rate. There is a cult like following for the brand. How many companies can say their customers tattoo the company name on their bodies. I have a Harley as well as two Japanese bikes. They are all good and they all have personality.
    Harley is more art than technology.
    And it's an American icon.

Both of the above posts (#'s 3 & 4) are true...but I wouldn't trade my Harley for something else...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Perhaps you are mostly afraid of the obvious..it takes a man to handle a Harley but a women who can handle a Harley can handle her man!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Nothing mechanically special about harleys. They are tractor era technology. Air-cooled, external pushrod v-twin engines, that have low HP and heavy weight. You pay so much more for the underpowered (relative to other modern bikes) Harleys than other bikes.

What is special is how they make a certain segment of the population feel about themselves when they own/ride the bikes. Totally visceral experience.

The HD thing is nostalgia and "lifestyle" related. Someone wanting to experience Americana in an Americana way. Also, the whole "biker" lifestyle. Not outlaw biker, just biker. Known as "salt of the earth" harley riding, americana type person. Going to poker runs, collecting HD dealership pins, etc.
    Joining HD groups. Riding in on a HD when going to rallies. When not riding the Hog, driving a pickup that has the HD emblem. In general, it's about wanting to fit into a group and what that group stands for. Not necessarily about putting tons of miles on a motorcycle.

I own and ride a Harley. I have tried many types of bikes. Taking away the whole mystique aspect of it, riding the harley is the most fun one can have riding on streets at street legal speeds. Nothing feels better than tooling down some country backroad on my hog with the bluegrass music playing, riding to nowhere in particular.

Now, I am in the market for an adventure tourer bike. Much cheaper, multi-function, etc. ... But not at the expense of giving up my hog.

On a totally different note, I find it sort of funny that a Harley biker chick has never shot a handgun. And handgun owner doesn't understand what is so special about a HD. In my neck of the woods, without exception, all the people I ride with that own HD, are strapped.

Well, lets look at it from a firearms point of view.

Bikes are like guns.......there are Glocks, HK's, S&W's, etc., etc.,..........

Then there are 1911's
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Well, lets look at it from a firearms point of view.

Bikes are like guns.......there are Glocks, HK's, S&W's, etc., etc.,..........

Then there are 1911's
    A WWII vet comes back from the war in which he was familiar with the 1911 platform. Needs cheap transportation. Buys a HD. Straps on with a 1911.

Don't forget the Harley togs:

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I HATE the sound of a harley!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Tell her you've discovered the answer: "You develop a bond with the machine, since you spend so much time pushing it and taking it apart..."

All my friends are Harley riders...and they shoot 1911s....

Administrator
    Whats so special about a HD? Well, your future girlfriend is riding one around, and if things work out with her, I can promise two will be in your garage soon enough.

I to am not overly impressed with HD performance and up until a few years ago I thought that's all there was to motorcycles. The way I see it, there are two types of HD riders; the ones who just want to be seen,( you know the types, everything they own says HD this or that) and those who like riding around on a peice of americana.

I'm now wanting to become the second option, as blazing down the road at triple digits no longer appeals to me and they are damn good looking bikes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Very few people know the the name Harley is the shortened name it is corrected named Rolls Harley, because it rolls downhill and harley makes it the next. <--that old gag.

I advise you not to take her shooting because after that question you may be used as the target once she get confortable with her aim.

Actually I am surprised that she didn't beat you to death right there. It may be a legitimate question but it is one that should never be asked by any man especially to a woman. It is comparable to asking your cellmate what is wrong with a man wearing pink panties. You just accept it and go on with your life.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links