Hopefully this question is not deemed too stupid to answer…

This is a discussion on Hopefully this question is not deemed too stupid to answer… within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This coming Sunday my wife and I will embark on a 21 hour flight to Africa and I was wondering with today’s super hypersensitivity of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hopefully this question is not deemed too stupid to answer…

Hopefully this question is not deemed too stupid to answer…

This coming Sunday my wife and I will embark on a 21 hour flight to Africa and I was wondering with today’s super hypersensitivity of the general population of sheep and especially the flying sheep is it considered inappropriate to read such publications as the American Rifleman or Combat Arms on the plane? I know that the mere thought or sight of a picture of a gun can send some people into a panic and I would hate to create feelings of fear and unrest among my traveling companions.

So my question is do I take something good to read or should I stick to something neutral such as Better Homes and Gardens?
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

2. Remove Ads

If you think your choice of magazine would make you uncomfortable, then don't do it. FWIW, I'm not nearly politically correct enough to care what somebody else thinks of a magazine I am reading.

For a 21 hour flight, I hope you have more to read than just a few magazines.

You could always go with something like 'Atlas Shrugged' or 'If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans' ...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Read what you want, it's no one else's business.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Senior Moderator
    We have flown a lot in the last couple of years and JD always takes magazines of interest with him which are usually Guns and Ammo or a new gun parts catalog or something similar.

In fact, I think he wore his 5.11 shirt with four guys on the front of it with shotguns in their hands.

No one noticed or cared.

Airports are one of those places where people go out of their way to avoid paying attention to the guy next to them. They put on their headphones, bury their noses in their own books or laptops and barely notice the person six inches to their left.

Take what you want, no one will care.

Knock yourself out. No one will care. Besides, as the saying goes, if you can't please everyone, then please yourself!

Enjoy Africa. One place that I have yet to visit.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

read what u want...to hell with other people. i had some dude reading a smut mag next to me on a flight back from Florida once.

just don't wear transformer shirts...
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post

just don't wear transformer shirts...
    Yeah, I am surprised that Lima's husband didn't get tackled by the TSA!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

read what you want. i read gun magazines in planes all the time. no problem.
    although as previously suggested, for that long of a flight, you will need more than a magazine or two
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Read what you want, it's no one else's business.
    I agree.

Just for fun pick up the most recent copy of Soldier of Fortune and start highlighting pages and giggle.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Just for fun pick up the most recent copy of Soldier of Fortune and start highlighting pages and giggle.
    HAHAHAHA! yeah!

and ask the person next to you

"so, ya think this sounds like a good idea?"
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Reading a Girlie magazine might get you asked to put it away, a gun magazine might get you in a conversation. Be polite and read away! BTW my step son comes back from a month in Ghana monday, he says he is having a great time. Hope you do also!
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

Read whatever you want to read... Someone doesn't like what you are reading... tell them you weren't gonna offer them the magazine anyways!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I would be discrete. Maybe put it inside another magazine. This is a true story that happened to me several years ago:

I am a (private) pilot, and I was travelling commercially from NY to San Francisco, with plans to do some flying out of Napa. I had with me some local aviation charts, which shows the San Francisco area airspace as well, which I was studying while waiting for my flight.

Without warning I was approached by TSA, and scanned, and almost strip searched, becuase they thought I was going to highjack planes.

Even after showing them my Federal FAA Identification, they were still leary. It all worked out ok, but it was not a nice experience.
    Last edited by JonInNY; August 13th, 2008 at 03:53 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Whatever you do, do not make stupid jokes such as a couple of posters mentioned. TSA does not have sense of humor. You will not happy with their response.

Take what you want to read and don't concerned about those around you, and a have a great trip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links