Army playing games?

This is a discussion on Army playing games? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What do you all think about the new Army recruiting effort? Do you think that the "games" are appropriate? Here's a link: Breaking News | ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Army playing games?

Army playing games?

What do you all think about the new Army recruiting effort? Do you think that the "games" are appropriate? Here's a link: Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

2. Remove Ads

Great marketing! Looks like a lot of fun.

Of course the piece that's missing is the whole "getting shot back at" thing.......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

With no disrepect to our veterans, whom I greatly admire for their service to our country, I feel this idea goes overboard. To treat war as a "game" that is fun, is, IMO, giving a terrible, first impression of what war is like, and the true horrors of being in combat situation.

I feel that to avoid war unless absolutely necessary for our own safety is the best strategy.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I wish they would bring that to my house and let me borrow it for a few weeks. It would have to be better than playing Call of Duty 4 with a darn PS3 controller. Personally, I don't see a big problem with it. The biggest part that they can not simulate is having bullets coming back at you. If it gets more people interested in enlisting, then I say go for it.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Nothing funny about combat.

Virtual reality is the wave of the future. Technology removes some of the CQB confrontation. It also desensitizes today's youth to the ideas of taking life and the effects. Good recruitment tool? Of course. When reality hits, some will be shocked to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    What do you all think about the new Army recruiting effort? Do you think that the "games" are appropriate? Here's a link: Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com
    If one considers the basis basis for the decision of many young to enter into the military (adventure, excitement, being entrusted with expensive equipment, etc.), the video should prove to beneficial. All that being said, young men who have grown up with computers and video games are well aware of the differences of video games and reality. If one is turned off by visions of combat, perhaps he should avoid the military.

At least that was my frame of mind 42 years ago when I joined and later ended up in Vietnam. The video would only have inspired me further. The main difference in the video and the real thing is that one can get killed doing the real thing, not to mention, heat, mud, rain, and being tired. The video is not all that different to reality, other than the fact that the other side will shoot back with intent to hurt you and draw real blood.

War is for the young. Now that I am older and have more sense, I, like most others who have been there and done that, would now avoid it (mainly because of increased age and diminished physical ability). It is true that war is no game, but it is the young men who are our true warriors.

Thank God for our modern young warrior who is willing to put his life on the line and fight for us. If it is the video that inspires him into action, so be it. However, I trust that the overwhelming motivation will always be patriotism (with a little quest for adventure thrown in).

EW3
    To me it's simply smart marketing. They are going after their target demographic; 18 year old males. What do most 18 year old males do A LOT these days? Hmmmm... play video games!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Do not pass judgement on something until you play it!
    "Homeland Security Begins at Home"
    http://www.michigancpl.net

S&W M&P 9C.
    Sig P232

Quote Originally Posted by lr_01 View Post
    I don't know whether this was directed at me or not, but I have not stated my own opinion yet. I feel that it's a great tool. There is no substitute for the real thing, and kids know that.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Quote Originally Posted by lr_01 View Post
    Well, I might agree with that if it were really a game. But I believe that everyone that has seen combat action for real, would call it anything but a game.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

The only way to improve the realism would have you hooked up to a machine that during intense simulated combat would replicate peeing and deficating in your drawers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The only way to improve the realism would have you hooked up to a machine that during intense simulated combat would replicate peeing and deficating in your drawers
    Wait a minute! As the FNG ("fair-headed new guy?") said, "Was that incoming fire or outgoing?

Lead Moderator
    I think Fox News is about 25 years behind on their story!

I can remember a film based "video game" for LEOs called "Shoot, Don't Shoot" that in many ways did the same thing and was good training, but not very news worthy. When I shot the program you used your service weapon, on the range.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Make sense. The bottom line is the target for military enlistment has long been young males who consider themselves invulnerable. Like it or not that is the truth. In addition such simulations offer a very real benefit with regards to training. The air force and navy figured that out decades ago. The army did so as well with armor. It is now making its way to the infantry soldier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links