Crime-ridden Arkansas town expands 24-hour curfew

This is a discussion on Crime-ridden Arkansas town expands 24-hour curfew within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So what do you guys think of this? I think it's a dangerous path and if we aren't careful this could happen in other towns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So what do you guys think of this? I think it's a dangerous path and if we aren't careful this could happen in other towns etc.

Crime-ridden Arkansas town expands 24-hour curfew - Yahoo! News
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

If this is the best plan the city and police can come up with, then they both need to be replaced, and quickly, before law suits bankrupt the city.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

"As far as I'm concerned, at 3 o'clock in the morning, nobody has any business being on the street, except the law," Councilman Eugene "Red" Johnson said. "Anyone out at 3 o'clock shouldn't be out on the street, unless you're going to the hospital."
    I am a grown man. I can be out at any time I choose. I have gone many times to do my grocery shopping at 3:00 in the morning to avoid the crowds. Unless I am committing a crime, it is none of his or anybody elses business what I am doing out. This is crazy and extremely dangerous. Hopefully they will be sued and lose.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

VIP Member
    That is bad news folks!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    What is concerning are statements by the town officials that they a) either don't consider these actions unconstitutional; or b) don't care, let the ACLU sue, a local judge will uphold the curfew anyway.

I have mixed feelings about teen curfews; but definitely there should be no curfew for adults.

Also, we are talking about a fairly small community here. I think I read fifteen thousand. Usually such places are fairly peaceful because everyone knows everyone else. If they have a drug problem and a crime problem, it is likely because they don't spend enough on police and investigations. There can't be that many bgs in such a small town to warrant a full curfew---if that is what is going on. I'm not sure I understand the scope of the curfew.

Maybe they need some state assistance to increase the police presence and investigatory abilities.

All of that said, I also understand at an emotional level why this approach is so appealing. "For every complex problem there is usually a simple solution, which is wrong."

A full curfew is a simple minded solution which is wrong.

Awful lot of "stuff" happening in AR just lately...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Senior Moderator
    I don't believe that he has the legal authority to do that. I think its their way of gaining publicity for more public funding.
    Somebody needs to throttle the mayor back....legally of course.

Just so you know...Helena and West Helena have always been crime havens,third world,rat infested areas that abound with 4th generation welfare recipients and most of the decent people left out of there. The main trade there is in drugs. Its a depressed area in more ways than one,morally,economically and it doesn't take long to understand that the city council as well as the Chief of Police are as dumb as rocks. Instead of getting to the heart of the problem, they pass laws that infringe on everyones rights and call it progress.

Its all fluff and buff. They wont do much about the drug trade there because it will cut into their paychecks. I know some people that live there and they wont even sit on their porch without having a gun on them or a shot gun close by. I kid you not.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 2AMomma View Post
    Awful lot of "stuff" happening in AR just lately...
    Yeah....I've noticed that. I don't care for the spotlight coming near the hometown. I've sort of noticed a trend this past week, and truthfully--I don't know what to make of it. I'm two for two this week...two I was on top of finding out, and two that I've ended up hearing from our DC members. I hope this trend won't continue, and matter of fact, it sort of causes me some embarrassment as I always speak so highly of my home state, our 2nd amendment friendly government (state and federal), and our new cause with petition for open carry. I must say, I'm taking a couple of steps back in awe.

Senior Moderator
    I must say, I'm taking a couple of steps back in awe.

I'm not.

Just stupid people doing what stupid people do...acting stupid.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote:
    I must say, I'm taking a couple of steps back in awe.

I'm not.

Just stupid people doing what stupid people do...acting stupid.
    Arkansas is best seen, not heard in my opinion. Granted there are the isolated incidents, state to state, and across the U.S. I'm afraid more headlines coming out of the state will be detrimental in more ways than one. I took probability and statistics in high school as an elective, and because I loved math...but this is ridiculous, at this time, and now. How can I think that there are no external forces at work here other than the media and their attention to such happenings? I'm not ready for terrorism within, or propagating discontent or paranoia on the home-front among the citizens. There has to be more involved in these current events than what is tangible at this time. Seems like some sort of game being played here....and I don't like it one bit. It all goes against a simple roll of the dice or the sea of chances.

Senior Moderator
    Seems like some sort of game being played here....and I don't like it one bit. It all goes against a simple roll of the dice or the sea of chances.
    I don't know about that. Helena has always been a hole. A guy I work with was born and raised there, went back home to see Momma and got stabbed by 4 black youths that robbed him and he is black. His Mom has since passed and he says he'll never go back. He told me that the best thing that could happen to Helena was for it it to burn down so that they could start from scratch.

The rest are just isolated but highly publicized incidents. The guy at Walmart, the guy at the Democratic Office,its just a random thing. Its the same thing that the cops notice. Some weeks it all breaks loose and its one incident after another and then other weeks virtually nothing happens.

And don't forget, me and you live in the upscale part of Arkansas. Lots of industry, beautiful scenery everywhere and lots and lots of upscale neighborhoods with higher than average incomes. When you get down south there is nothing but cotton, rice and timber and its all flat,flat,flat, not to mention pretty much impoverished. Every time I drive though there I am reminded of some third world countries that I've been to and the Mississippi Delta region is counted as some of the poorest towns in the country, where most of the population can be found standing in line at the Welfare office at certain times of the month.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I hope this trend won't continue, and matter of fact, it sort of causes me some embarrassment
    It's not a reflection on your state as a whole, it's a reflection on a few misguided members.

I don't have the stats to prove one way or another, but it wouldn't surprise me if the city of St. Louis averaged more murders per year than the entire state of Arkansas. I think Arkansas has a long way to sink before they reach the level of St. Louis.

I think I agree with the ACLU on this one. It seems like a 4th Amendment violation. I can understand checking up on kids roaming the street, but when it comes to adults sitting on their porch, I think that crosses the line.

I also wonder if there's some profiling going on here too.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I think I agree with the ACLU on this one. It seems like a 4th Amendment violation. I can understand checking up on kids roaming the street, but when it comes to adults sitting on their porch, I think that crosses the line.

I also wonder if there's some profiling going on here too.
    Definatley a violation that crosses the line. The city council is grasping at straws.

As for the profiling,last I heard it was about 70% black. The whole city council, the police, the fireman are all black. If there is any profiling going on, it aint what you think.

Our jail got a resident from Helena awhile back and the Helena Police came to get him on a felony warrant. It was the only dude I have ever heard of BEG to stay at our jail rather than go home to his own.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

In an ideal world, teens wouldn't need a police curfew because parents of those teens would make sure their butts were in the house at a reasonable time.

May I suggest a free cruise for the entire ACLU attorney staff into the Bermuda Triangle?

Our society is slowly collapsing from the inside.

Stay armed...you better be...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links