Dog guards owner's body for 6 weeks

This is a discussion on Dog guards owner's body for 6 weeks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is not humor, but definitely off topic. It's a terrible situation, someone commiting suicide, but there's part of this story that just makes you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog guards owner's body for 6 weeks

This is not humor, but definitely off topic. It's a terrible situation, someone commiting suicide, but there's part of this story that just makes you feel blessed to be able to have a dog consider you part of it's pack. There really is no substitute for a good dog.

Loyal dog guards owner for weeks after death - CNN.com

Loyal dog guards owner for weeks after death

GREELEY, Colorado (AP) -- A dog stood guard over her owner's body for up to six weeks after the man committed suicide on the remote northeastern Colorado plains, authorities said.

Sara Baysinger of La Salle, Colorado, and her 2-year-old son, Lane, reunite with their German shepherd, Cash.

The body of 25-year-old Jake Baysinger of La Salle, Colorado, was found Sunday on the Pawnee National Grasslands about 75 miles northeast of Denver, Colorado. Cash, his German shepherd, was found beside him, thin and dehydrated but still alive. The dog had apparently survived by eating mice and rabbits, authorities said.

The Weld County coroner ruled Baysinger's death a suicide. The cause of death wasn't immediately determined but authorities found a gun nearby, the coroner's office said Tuesday.

"At least we know it's over now," said Baysinger's wife, Sara. "We'd been looking for my husband for six weeks, and this isn't how we wanted it to end. At least we can close this."

Baysinger was reported missing June 28. An extensive search failed to locate him, but Kip Konig, a rancher, saw the dog last weekend, went to investigate and discovered Baysinger's body and his pickup.

He said Cash kept running back to the pickup and jumping into the front seat.

"I got the sense she was trying to tell me where her master was," Konig said.

Cash was reunited Monday with Sara Baysinger and her 2-year-old son, Lane. She said her little boy is "very close to that dog" and happy to see her again.

Investigators said the dog probably kept coyotes away from the body.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

nothing like devotion
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Kinda makes you want a dog, doesn't it?
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Certain breeds of dog are very devotional. My German Shepherd came between me and harm's way more than once. I was also there for him when he screwed up and met a skunk. Both of us ran into a hornet's nest in a wood pile the year before he died. Nothing like a man's best friend. I miss Buddy. That was four years ago. I'm still not over it.

That reminds me of two of Mark Twain's writings:

1. "A Dog's Tale" found here: http://www.archive.org/download/dogs...x_64kb_mp3.zip

2. Chapter Seven from his short story "The Mysterious Stranger" http://www.archive.org/download/myst...x_64kb_mp3.zip

those are free audiobooks, and if you love dogs I am sure that you will like these!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Certainly shows the loyalty of our canine friends...true friends!

My 125# Rhodesian Ridgeback would guard my body with his life, until he realized the wife was around and had food to share...

Stay armed...get a dog as a HD early warning system...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Administrator
    GSD's are great critters.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Nothing like selfishly killing yourself and completely abandoning Wife, young child and an animal and a friend that is totally 100% dedicated to you.

No sympathy from me.

The Cowards way out.

I'm not saying what he did was right I'm giving kudos to the dog for not abandoning his master ,there was a story I read about a guy that died and when they buried him his dog laid on his grave,the cemetary worker IIRC or somebody would bring the dog food and water until one day the dog passed too
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Oh...the dog is totally amazing. I agree.
    It's the human that I'm slightly less than impressed with.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Nothing like selfishly killing yourself and completely abandoning Wife, young child and an animal and a friend that is totally 100% dedicated to you.

No sympathy from me.

The Cowards way out.
    Great point QKS...I agree!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No sympathy from me.

The Cowards way out.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm not saying what he did was right I'm giving kudos to the dog for not abandoning his master ,there was a story I read about a guy that died and when they buried him his dog laid on his grave,the cemetary worker IIRC or somebody would bring the dog food and water until one day the dog passed too
    Yeah...that's what I was getting at. The suicidal pansy took the easy way out, but the dog part was the good part. There's just no replacement for a good dog.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    There's just no replacement for a good dog.
    That's the complete truth!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

No sympathy from me.

The Cowards way out.
    What he said...

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links