Olympics

This is a discussion on Olympics within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Is it just me or is this Olympics going to become one of the most controversial. I see a lot of favortism in the host ...

Thread: Olympics

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Olympics

Is it just me or is this Olympics going to become one of the most controversial. I see a lot of favortism in the host country. I was watching womens tennis USA playing CHINA what looks like a Chinese Ref is calling shots that are obviously out as in when the chinese hits them.

Plus with the Chinese Gymnastics team, their Swim team, and now their shooting team. I mean it just seems something really really Fishy.

I'm sorry I'm watching Venus Play LI Na

This IS SO RIGGED. NA is throwing things out left and right VENUS is returning out of bounds balls while Venus is hitting them on the line and their calling them out. Shes challenging and winning the out calls as actual in. GO USA even against Cheaters!!!!!!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

I was watching the womens rapid fire 25m pistol shooting yesterday.

A woman from some country was in the lead with one string of fire to go and the Chinese woman was in second. All of a sudden a technical problem developed with the lead shooter's target and she had to wait and wait for it to get fixed. Funny, eveyone else's target worked fine. By this time she had lost concetration and seemed flustered. She had to reshoot the whole string and her score really reflected that she was nervous and upset.

Result: China wins gold.

Thus far, we have:

Two world records and a Gold in men's double trap.

A world record 3 way tie on women's skeet. The shootoff ended in a Silver for the USA. Itlay won gold, bronze to Germany. China took 6th IIRC.

Women's skeet ended in a 4 way tie for Bronze, with the American winning the shootoff. China did not place well. :-)

We have a chance at gold in men's rifle I think and maybe in men's skeet. They will be streamed live tonigh on NBColympics.com The saddest part is that when our shooters win medals there is not even one sorry stinking reporter there to interview them. The press and media do not like or understand the shooting sports, so they just ignore them.
    It makes me sick.

The Chinese men and women have dominated the pistol shooting pretty well.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

And the 13-year-old girl in "Women's" Gymnastics . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Few groused in '76 when a 14 yr old took everything, in Gymnastics.

As most know, there are many precautions taken against cheating and rigging, in the Olympics. Yet, cheating and rigging have occurred since humans began competing. And it will continue to be so.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Few groused in '76 when a 14 yr old took everything, in Gymnastics..
    I agree with you since the US team with Strug, Dawes, Mar.... where under 16 but it was legal back then; however, rules are rules.

When accused the Chinese coach came out and said well look at the USA Girls they have muscles they must be using dop. IMHO if you cheat with the age thing its just like doping a 13 girl can do more then a muscular defined girl who is 3+ years older.

I have a feeling the IOC will strip them of the medal maybe not today or tommorrow but it will come out.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

All time medal count:

USA 2404
    China 319

I think we are still winning.

I can understand the unexplained "technical malfuctions" or the tennis calls could be construed as "fishy", but the womens gymnastics...? Seriously, this is the way I look at it(the womens gymnastics specifically):

Nothing like the media to screw up an otherwise unbelievable experience.

Chinese gymnasts shine, but cloud remains - E.M. Swift - SI.com

Chinese gymnasts shine, but black cloud hovers over gold medal
    Still, questions over the ages of the Chinese gymnasts will leave a black cloud
    And we do mean young. Their passports are issued by a Chinese government that is very, very interested in winning lots and lots of gold medals, so while they may say they're 15 or 16, five of the six team members have the appearance of pre-pubescent children. "The little babies," is how U.S. coach Martha Karolyi refers to the Chinese gymnasts when speaking to her team, and they certainly are little. Li Shanshan (16) is 4-foot-9, 79 pounds. Yang Yilin (15) is 4-foot-11, 77 pounds. He Kexin (16) is 4-foot-8, 73 pounds. Jiang Yuyuan (16) is 4-foot-7, 71 pounds. But the prize goes to Deng Linlin (16), who's listed at 4-foot-6 and a strapping 68 pounds. She could take a nap in Yao Ming's sneaker. Poor thing's also missing a tooth. Please, someone send baby food.
    Ok, so rather than just admit that "our" team just lost fair and square, the media as usual turns to personal attacks and conjecture. Anyone that watched the womens gymnastics early on should have noticed that the US girls fouled up...a lot. I suppose the good side is that at least the gymnasts understand the truth and aren't resorting to the same level as the media and their own coach. And the real question is, does age really matter? Seriously. If you're worried about extra young kids kicking your teams collective butts...perhaps you should question why your team that has probably more years of experience and more time for their muscles to develop, has lost to those who haven't had the same...

It's the same concept as a fighter. You can be the best guy in the gym on Friday, but when Sunday rolls around and you're in the ring with 50,000 people in the stadium and another million or so watching you on TV and you can't perform under the pressure, you have to ask yourself one question. Am I really that good?

We can be good when no one is watching. We can be great when there's no pressure, but it means squat if you can't kick it when the heat gets turned up.

No excuses. You either cut it...or you don't. The shooters and tennis stars clearly have reason to be ripe. But last I checked...I never saw any balance beams or pommelhorses get up and move 2" to the left all by themselves when a gymnast bounded off the vault.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I can understand the unexplained "technical malfuctions" or the tennis calls could be construed as "fishy", but the womens gymnastics...? Seriously, this is the way I look at it(the womens gymnastics specifically):

Nothing like the media to screw up an otherwise unbelievable experience.

Chinese gymnasts shine, but cloud remains - E.M. Swift - SI.com

Ok, so rather than just admit that "our" team just lost fair and square, the media as usual turns to personal attacks and conjecture. Anyone that watched the womens gymnastics early on should have noticed that the US girls fouled up...a lot. I suppose the good side is that at least the gymnasts understand the truth and aren't resorting to the same level as the media and their own coach. And the real question is, does age really matter? Seriously. If you're worried about extra young kids kicking your teams collective butts...perhaps you should question why your team that has probably more years of experience and more time for their muscles to develop, has lost to those who haven't had the same...

It's the same concept as a fighter. You can be the best guy in the gym on Friday, but when Sunday rolls around and you're in the ring with 50,000 people in the stadium and another million or so watching you on TV and you can't perform under the pressure, you have to ask yourself one question. Am I really that good?

We can be good when no one is watching. We can be great when there's no pressure, but it means squat if you can't kick it when the heat gets turned up.

No excuses. You either cut it...or you don't. The shooters and tennis stars clearly have reason to be ripe. But last I checked...I never saw any balance beams or pommelhorses get up and move 2" to the left all by themselves when a gymnast bounded off the vault.

Okay however, If your whole life you where told the rules are you have to lbs 150 pound and be a minimum age of 35 years old fight in the world championship for all the chips, and kitten cobuddle, and you showed up to a fight against somebody who was 250 lbs of solid muscle and 25 and blatantly broke the rules would you be p oed.

Even if you where the most Jacked mother out their wouldn't you be slightly upset. Even if you are the strongest 35 year old your margin is greatly diminshep by the odds.

Its like saying when Sadam old IRAQY repulican guard (which my friend in the USMC experienced in G2. ) The USMC is maid up of a bunch of babyies in fact their tanks are made of cardboard. My friend who went over there in the initial invasion had a prisoner come up to his LAV and tried to touch it. When they ask him what he was doing the Iraqy prisoner said he was amazed that the tank was made of metal an armor. He was told that they where construced out of card board. Also, he was amazed when my friend told him to punch him in the chest. The Iraqy could not even fathom Boby armor for the individual soldier.

I agree with you since the US team with Strug, Dawes, Mar.... where under 16 but it was legal back then; however, rules are rules.
    It is still legal. the rules state that the athlete has be 16 in the same year the Olympics are held. Anyone who will turn 16 by Dec. 31st of that year is legal to compete.

I agree that the judges are biased though. The only place they have a hard time getting away with it is in races where time is a factor.
    I also think, from my own observations, that American women tend to be more muscular than Asians due to genetics. The judge who thinks their doped up is stupid.

Lead Moderator
    Just my opinion, but the Olympics started going to pot when they started letting the Pros in.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Just my opinion, but the Olympics started going to pot when they started letting the Pros in.
    i agree....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Links