Seems I can't win when it comes to new neighbors...

This is a discussion on Seems I can't win when it comes to new neighbors... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Some of you may remember last year we had neighbors from hell. Well, they are gone thank goodness. We now have a nice family that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seems I can't win when it comes to new neighbors...

Seems I can't win when it comes to new neighbors...

Some of you may remember last year we had neighbors from hell. Well, they are gone thank goodness. We now have a nice family that lives in that house which is right next door to us. No real problem from them. They keep to themselves, their kids have not stolen anything from us unlike the last family that lived there.

But, we have fairly new neighbors that live in the house right across the road from them. So that is across the street and one or two houses up from us.

Today, one of the kids that lives there beat the heck out of my son's best friend because they got into a verbal argument on the school bus. The kid also now says he is going to have his father, who is apparently locked up in prison at the moment, "take out" my son's friend and his parents when his father get released.

This is not what I need I have to tell you. I am not happy about this and as a result I now will be paying much closer attention to this family. And I surely do not need a convicted felon living that close to my family if or when this little punks father is released from prison.

Why do we keep getting crappy neighbors? This is a very safe and quiet little town.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Is moving a reasonable alternative for you?

Oh, I see the town seems nice overall... just bad luck in close neighbors. Do you know if they are renting or buying?

Might just be big talk from the kid too, any idea what dad is in the big house for?

As a teacher I have seen two kinds of kids that have dad's in jail, the kind that get picked on early and turn bully, and the kind that keep real quiet about it. Maybe this kid is the first variety. Just my.02, take it for what it's worth...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Don't know how old these kids are but a call and formal complaint to the local PD would be in order by the parents of the kid that got beat and threatened.

I know it is probably just kid stuff, but a visit from the local PD might just scare the little punk a bit straighter. If the mom knows the police are looking at her pretty closely maybe she will try to keep jr in line. Maybe not, but that is about all you can do for now, until the adults start doing stuff that would get them evicted or arrested.

Heck Mike, you might as well just move back into Memphis, your not having any luck out on the edge of the county.

Really it sucks that you can't get some decent neighbors, hopefully they won't be around long.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Why do we keep getting crappy neighbors? This is a very safe and quiet little town.
    The supply of good neighbors has run out. It ran out in the early eighties....you just don't know it or want to acknowledge it. Your so called "little town" probably isn't so little when the FBI or INS looks at it. Matter of fact, it probably has a red star next to your town's name, and homeland security has already been notified....they're just letting the underworked sheriff's department deal with things first. Cold hard facts........their aint no neighborhoods anymore. Their aint no neighbors...anyone who's smart enough keeps to themselves or they get the welcome committee. The welcome committee don't go for cakes and ice cream any more.....they want to initiate you into gang-land territory. Do a google search for reality.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Today, one of the kids that lives there beat the heck out of my son's best friend because they got into a verbal argument on the school bus.
    That's assault and battery.

The kid also now says he is going to have his father, who is apparently locked up in prison at the moment, "take out" my son's friend and his parents when his father get released.
    That's a death threat.

What age is this punk? Anything over 12, and he could be a credible threat himself. Some of the more-infamous, recent multiple-murderers were just a couple years older than this.

Time to have LEO's look into the little hoodlum's affairs, I think. Give him a little rattle, to let him know he's on the list and being watched as a little-thug-in-training. The schmuck is about to graduate to a bigger pair. Law enforcement will want to know.

Watch your "six."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That's assault and battery.

That's a death threat.

What age is this punk? Anything over 12, and he could be a credible threat himself. Some of the more-infamous, recent multiple-murderers were just a couple years older than this.

Time to have LEO's look into the little hoodlum's affairs, I think. Give him a little rattle, to let him know he's on the list and being watched as a little-thug-in-training. The schmuck is about to graduate to a bigger pair. Law enforcement will want to know.

Watch your "six."
    Law enforcement will be unable to do anything about it. Go ahead...call them. They'll make you out to be a fool, plain and simple. There's nothing they can or will do about it. See for yourself. It's the same any where you go, nation wide. Make a formal complaint and if anything happens in the future, you'll have a record of it. That's all you can do. I'll be waiting for someone to tell me I'm wrong.

You said your good neighbors keep to themselves... change that. Make contact. Its important to keep talking and to learn more about your neighbors. Make sure they know about the family across from them.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Law enforcement will be unable to do anything about it. Go ahead...call them. They'll make you out to be a fool, plain and simple. There's nothing they can or will do about it. See for yourself. It's the same any where you go, nation wide. Make a formal complaint and if anything happens in the future, you'll have a record of it. That's all you can do. I'll be waiting for someone to tell me I'm wrong.
    Mabey, maybe not. It just depends.

A friend of mine advised me of a situation with his 9th grade son that was much like this. He called me and asked what I could do about it.
    I asked if he wanted to lodge a formal complaint which he was hesitant to do, wanting to keep it low keyed. So I came over and asked his son what transpired ( I was on duty at the time). I got the adress of the other kid involved and went to his house. I talked to the kids Mom, and she was pretty adamant about her kid being totally innocent and insisted that it was all made up, so I asked if I could talk to her kid and she agreed to it.

The kid pretty much contradicted everything she said and fessed up to eveything that I was originally told. While I was standing there in the Living Room, the Dad walked in and wanted to know what was going on. So me and him walked outside in the yard, away from Mom and junior and talked for about 20 minutes.

The Dad was very concerned and insured me that it would never happen again, that he would take care of the problem and that there would be no more incidents. That was fine by me and and I thanked him for his time and left.

I went back over to my friends house and advise him that the Dad said he would take care of it. Up till this time, my friend has talked to the Mother on several occasions and was convinced that she was not up to the task of rasing her kid properly.After some discussion, he was satisfied and told me that he would call again if he needed me.

My presence there did a couple of things. It alerted the Parents that there was a problem that they needed to adress, that if not addressed in a manor sastifactory to all, it would get adressed for them.

It told the kid that we were aware of his actions, and that stuff like that would not go unnoticed or be tolerated.

As it turned out, it all worked out. No more calls were made and when I questioned my friend about it, there were no more issues at school or after school.

So, can something be done about it? Sure it can. Will it always work or be successful? That depends on the attitudes of the parents. If they are good people, they will take care of it. If they are sleazebags, there will be more problems. The thing is though, the parents need to be made aware. If the parents can sort it out, fine. If not, sometimes a little prodding can make it happen and sometimes it doesnt work at all. If little Johnny's Dad is in jail, and his Moma is stupid, its a waste of time, but you dont really know for sure until you try.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    There is a house for sale across the street from me. Sounds like you and I would get along just great and the other neighbors are nice. What do you think?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Law enforcement will be unable to do anything about it. Go ahead...call them. They'll make you out to be a fool, plain and simple. There's nothing they can or will do about it.
    Since Columbine, Springfield and others, it's different. Here, it's different. Can't speak for other places. Here, they do NOT screw around.

Young toughs that make a name for themselves get on "the list" and are watched. At least, the ones in school, who are reasonably plugged in. (The MS-13 disciples are a bit off the radar, in this sense.) Explosions have happened before. In a few cases, complaints have been made by the children themselves; in others, by concerned parents or neighbors. In a few cases I've seen in the past 3yrs or so, EVERYBODY gets into action and gets talking, gets in the face of the offending teen and family, makes it known that nothing of the sort will be tolerated.

I'll be waiting for someone to tell me I'm wrong.
    I am. I am also one of the most cynical, when it comes to getting things done, but I have seen what a mobilized community can do.

If nothing is done, nothing will be done. The apathy of prior years has, in areas that have mobilized, nicely become a thing of the past when it comes to young, troubled students who are angling for a prison sentence.

Hasn't yet happened for this young'un. He sounds like a typical kid, at this point. But he's combining a few factors to make it scary enough for folks to act. We'll see if this community has what it takes to deal with it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

A few bits of info that I didn't include in the original post, the kid is 14 I believe. He's a fairly large 14 too.
    I myself have never talked to him. Helped his Mom and uncle move in last January. The uncle seemed OK but Mom gave me the impression that she didn't like me. And I hate to say this and bring this aspect of this up but, the reason she didn't seem to like me being there was because I am white and she is not. I say this because as I was walking out of the house after helping the male move a large heavy kitchen table into the home that she made no effort to help with, I heard her say "why did you let that white devil into my house?"
    I filed this in my mind for future reference. Today was the day that it became relevant again as the boy her kid beat up is white and several of the kids who pulled the kid off of my son's friend say that he (the thug) was calling my son's friend racial names.

The police did come and speak to the Mother and the kid. But my understanding is, the Mother almost got hauled in for yelling at and cursing at the deputies. She is of the opinion that her kid did not throw a single punch, even though the other kid has visible injuries, and he is a perfect angle.
    The other kid's Mother decided not to press charges stupidly. I don;t understand her stance on this at all.

They rent the house from one of our other neighbors and I am going to be speaking to the owners about this matter this weekend.

We also rent the house we live in and we are on a lease until September of next year. I can honestly say, it is about time for us to put up and buy a house either in this town or further away from the cesspool of Memphis. But, judging from the fact that this is the second time we have had now 2 bad experiences with neighbors here, it may be time to go when the lease is up. I hate to be this way because the other neighbors here are great people, and we really like them all.

But, this could just as easily happen where ever we bought a house. So what the heck do you do? I'm keeping an eye on them for now. But, every single thing that we can call the police on them for, we and the other neighbors have decided that we all will be calling the police for. Maybe they will decide to move on in fairly short order. We can only hope.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Watch your six.

The 'white devil' comment from her is warning that she has zero regard for you and your family. Her son has friends and they will be hanging around soon enough. Since your house is a rental I would bail out of there and look into going south. Southaven looks nice and Horn Lake seemed like a nice area also. As for Shelby County I don't even stop the car there.

Quote Originally Posted by albundy View Post
    The 'white devil' comment from her is warning that she has zero regard for you and your family. Her son has friends and they will be hanging around soon enough. Since your house is a rental I would bail out of there and look into going south. Southaven looks nice and Horn Lake seemed like a nice area also. As for Shelby County I don't even stop the car there.
    There are still many parts of Shelby County that are very nice places to live. This is one of them. One moron family does not ruin the entire area.

I am not going to live in Mississippi. I work in Memphis and live in Shelby County, thus I pay no state income tax. If I live in Mississippi, I would pay Mississippi state income tax. Besides, the Mississippi state CCW permit is not good in nearly as many states as my TN permit is the last time I checked.

I like Tennessee. I'm not leaving just because of this one family of idiots. I doubt they will be here for very long. Once the rest of the people who live on our street get fed up with their crap they will feel the heat.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

No need to tell you, but will anyway..BE ALERT!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links