AGH! - How long until we are a country of idiots?

This is a discussion on AGH! - How long until we are a country of idiots? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; DISD plan to ease grading standards angers teachers | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News I just heard this on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AGH! - How long until we are a country of idiots?

DISD plan to ease grading standards angers teachers | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News

I just heard this on the radio and thought I had heard it wrong, so I looked it up.

This crap is maddening, just 1 more reason I homeschool my kids!

the new rules require teachers to accept late work and prevent them from penalizing students for missed deadlines. Homework grades that would drag down a student's overall average will be thrown out.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    That's a very misleading question. The answer is -10 to -15 years.

This type of horsepucky has been going on in Schools for decades.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    My wife has been teaching for 32 years. Yesterday all of the teachers attended a meeting and had to sign a new code of "Ethics" which outlined what teachers could and couldn't do as far a discipline.

Basically, you cant.

She was livid.

To answer the question,
    How long until we are a country of idiots?
    we are trying very hard to make them as stupid as possible.

Don't believe it? Read some of the responses to various posts on many of the bulletin boards. It will have anyone over 40's head spinning. Cant spell, cant punctuate, can use proper English. Don't understand basic Civics,or Science and can't do math with out a calculator.

It's not hard to understand really.

Stupid people are easier to control.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yep, we can't leave any child behind.

This will just result in making the ones that do work hard and study feel like they are doing it for nothing. What a crock.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Rent the movie "Idiocracy" tonight. It will show you the end result.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    As much as we all wring our hands over these things, the fact is these type of complaints about youth and schools have been going on since the very start of civilization.

When you live in a town with a major university, you quickly learn that things aren't that bad. Just remember, average IQ is 100. There is nothing to be done about that. This means that HS work (and certainly college) is beyond the many with IQs at the lower end of normal. We can't expect teachers to fix that problem, as it is biological.

As for the homework issue, and not giving grades that count against test scores when homework is not turned in, I have seen teachers abuse their prerogatives in this area. Some actually are fairly abusive to the children in the scope and deadlines of things assinged.
    Last edited by Hopyard; August 15th, 2008 at 08:00 PM.

+1 My wife has home schooled our kids from the start.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Moderator
    As much as we all ring our hands over these things, the fact is these type of complaints about youth and schools have been going on since the very start of civilization.
    Thats is true.
    However, the decline of education in this country has nose dived the last 20 years.

Rather than raising the standard of excellence, we now lower it for those with average or less than IQ's. The result is to bring down the rest and the evidence is everywhere.

For instance, it is rare for me to go though a drive though window anywhere and get my order correct. If you want to lock someone up,get the crazy look in the eyes and have them run off to the manager, just offer them a dollar with some change so that they don't have to give you any change back.

Critical thinking skills are diminishing at an alarming rate. I know college professors,teachers,Military Drill Instructors, just about anyone that deals with the public will tell you the same thing.

Nowadays an average student can ace a curriculum that was developed to be all inclusive without any study or work at all.The truly smart ones aren't even challenged anymore, nor are they motivated to go above and beyond.

As for the homework issue, and not giving grades that count against test scores when homework is not turned in, I have seen teachers abuse their prerogatives in this area. Some actually are fairly abusive to the children in the scope and deadlines of things assigned.
    It would be hilarious if it weren't so sobering.

Ninety out of a hundred kids can make a deadline, and the other 10 that don't care or can't will say that the system is abusive.

Some athletic teams don't even keep score anymore so that they don't upset the losers. What does that teach? It teaches apathy and that working hard for a goal doesn't matter. It teaches that losing is no better than winning.

We are raising up our kids to be nothing more than cannon fodder.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

this is our nations future. they get more education from MTV then in school.

who homeschools their kids? i am a product of private school until my junior year of HS.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    My wife has been teaching for 32 years. Yesterday all of the teachers attended a meeting and had to sign a new code of "Ethics" which outlined what teachers could and couldn't do as far a discipline.

Basically, you cant.

She was livid.

To answer the question,we are trying very hard to make them as stupid as possible.

Don't believe it? Read some of the responses to various posts on many of the bulletin boards. It will have anyone over 40's head spinning. Cant spell, cant punctuate, can use proper English. Don't understand basic Civics,or Science and can't do math with out a calculator.

It's not hard to understand really.

Stupid people are easier to control.

im dunder 4ortie an thank i spele varie wale,
    “ If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?” - Patrick Henry

I dont mean to sound selfish, but stop what you're doing and focus on me. - Janitor

Senior Moderator
    im dunder 4ortie an thank i spele varie wale,

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

First, for the most part we are there. A nation of idiots that is. Any teacher or parent should be infuriated by this. I think that this is an effort by the school district to meet the No Child Left Behind requirements, not teach the kids anything. ""It's like we're sending the message to kids that deadlines don't matter, studying is optional, and no matter how little you do, you're still [going to] pass all your classes anyway," said Ray Cox, who teaches world languages at Franklin Middle School." It's not "like" it, it is it. That is exactly the message we are sending. I say leave a few of them behind. It will help the ones that are really trying and want to learn.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

DISD plan to ease grading standards angers teachers | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News

I just heard this on the radio and thought I had heard it wrong, so I looked it up.

Do you really want the answer to that question? The idiots, morons, moochers, and looters have outnumbered us for years. We are in the minority folks.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I admit I was not one of the smartest kids in school, too much proof to deny that. But I can tell you one thing, the teachers I remember and respect are the ones who pushed me to be better, the ones who wouldn't accept half work from anyone.

I grew up in DISD, and it happened back then but it wasn't a published policy.

We have been/are teaching our kids that work and self reliance doesn't matter. There have been threads of a generation of people who are the "gimmie" generation and don't want to work for it. Katrina victims for the most part fall in to this category, as do the knucklehead mortgage companies and idiots who didn't read their mortgage paperwork and now want to be bailed out of trouble.

When I took my oldest to Little League day at the park, and I asked when will we know if he made the team or not you should have seen the funny looks I got. I was told that everyone makes the team and has equal playing time. I then asked, even though he has never played and actually is pretty bad, but he has heart and wants to learn?

"Yes, sir. Everyone gets to play and we have awards for the teams afterwards." So he got a medal for basically playing cops and robbers by himself out in right field.

It just kills me to see this going on and only a few of us see it w=for what it is, and we don't seem to be enough of a voice to make a difference.

Not to mention I am just having a real tough day and this probably wouldn't have bothered me this much any other day
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I admit I was not one of the smartest kids in school, too much proof to deny that. But I can tell you one thing, the teachers I remember and respect are the ones who pushed me to be better, the ones who wouldn't accept half work from anyone.

I grew up in DISD, and it happened back then but it wasn't a published policy.

We have been/are teaching our kids that work and self reliance doesn't matter. There have been threads of a generation of people who are the "gimmie" generation and don't want to work for it. Katrina victims for the most part fall in to this category, as do the knucklehead mortgage companies and idiots who didn't read their mortgage paperwork and now want to be bailed out of trouble.

When I took my oldest to Little League day at the park, and I asked when will we know if he made the team or not you should have seen the funny looks I got. I was told that everyone makes the team and has equal playing time. I then asked, even though he has never played and actually is pretty bad, but he has heart and wants to learn?

"Yes, sir. Everyone gets to play and we have awards for the teams afterwards." So he got a medal for basically playing cops and robbers by himself out in right field.

It just kills me to see this going on and only a few of us see it w=for what it is, and we don't seem to be enough of a voice to make a difference.

Not to mention I am just having a real tough day and this probably wouldn't have bothered me this much any other day
    I had a similar experience. I just happen to have my high school transcript with me... looking over it I can now look back and say without a doubt, that every class that I got an A in taught me little to nothing. The classes that were hard fought B's and C's are still with me to this day.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links