Update to Women Hiker Shot By Hunter: 14 Year Old Charged

This is a discussion on Update to Women Hiker Shot By Hunter: 14 Year Old Charged within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here an update to the http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post808042 story posted a few weeks ago: HeraldNet: Hunter, 14, to be charged in killing Boy was reckless, prosecutor says ...

Thread: Update to Women Hiker Shot By Hunter: 14 Year Old Charged

Here an update to the http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post808042 story posted a few weeks ago:

HeraldNet: Hunter, 14, to be charged in killing

Boy was reckless, prosecutor says

By Jackson Holtz, Herald Writer

OSO -- A teenage hunter acted recklessly when he fatally shot an Oso woman on a popular hiking trail Aug. 2, the Skagit County prosecutor said Tuesday.

Skagit County Prosecutor Rich Weyrich said he intends to file a first-degree manslaughter charge in juvenile court against the 14-year-old boy who allegedly killed Pamela Almli, 54.

Weyrich said the teen failed to follow guidelines in the state's hunting safety manual, especially being sure of a target and what lies beyond. The boy apparently mistook Almli for a bear.

Also factoring into the decision were the foggy weather conditions that obscured the hunter's view and that Almli was dressed in a light-colored blue coat when she was shot on a hiking trail, Weyrich said.

"One particular action doesn't necessarily equate to recklessness," the prosecutor said. "But when you put everything together, that may be reckless."

Weyrich said it appears the killing wasn't intentional, which could have resulted in a murder charge. Instead, he said, the boy's actions appeared reckless, which provides legal grounds for a first-degree manslaughter charge.

Based on the boy's age and the other factors, it was most appropriate to handle the case in juvenile court, he said. He plans to file the charge Friday.

State Fish and Wildlife officials said a hiker hasn't been killed by a hunter in Washington in 25 years or more.

Almli was shot in the head as she bent over to put a jacket into a backpack. The Concrete boy was with his 16-year-old brother when he fired a .270-caliber rifle from about 120 yards away.

The shooting's location, on a busy hiking trail on Sauk Mountain, was a key factor in the charging decision, Weyrich said.

"If they had been wandering around out in the woods, it would be very different," Weyrich said. "You have to consider it was on a very popular and well-used hiking trail that was marked as such."

After the shooting, the boy was very upset and emotional, Weyrich said. The prosecutor said he did not know if the boy has offered an apology to Almli's family.

The teen took a hunting class when he was 9 years old and was properly licensed. If convicted, he could face nine months in juvenile detention.

The prosecutor contacted Almli's family before announcing his intention to file the charge, he said.

Almli was remembered for her love for the outdoors. She could name every peak in the Cascades, her family said.

The Skagit County Sheriff's Office referred the case to the prosecutors' office after an investigation, Skagit County sheriff's Chief Will Reichardt said.

State Fish and Wildlife officials said they plan to study hunting accidents involving juveniles, Deputy Chief Mike Cenci said.

They'll share what they learn with the Legislature to help write laws to try to make hunting safer, he said.

State hunting officials have said they'd like a law passed that would require juvenile hunters to be accompanied by an adult.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I heard about the decision the other day, I was relieved that at least the prosecutor is sane. I've been listening to folks call into talk shows and it seems like the only folks the hosts will allow to speak are either calling for the electric chair as if it were premeditated murder or no prosecution at all, as if "it was an accident" was enough.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Weyrich said the teen failed to follow guidelines in the state's hunting safety manual, especially being sure of a target and what lies beyond. The boy apparently mistook Almli for a bear.

Also factoring into the decision were the foggy weather conditions that obscured the hunter's view and that Almli was dressed in a light-colored blue coat when she was shot on a hiking trail, Weyrich said.
    I don't know about anyone else but I have never seen a blue bear in the woods.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

^^ A blue bear putting a jacket into a backpack. Smart bear.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Everyone involved, especially the young shooter will be messed up for a while. Sad, but safety can never be covered enough. I think my boys get tired of hearing me on my safety soapbox, but this scenario for my boys), either in the woods while hunting or using their pistols in a defensive manner, is my personal nightmare scenario (as a Dad). I live 2,000 miles from them and though they are older, they will always be my children and I pray they use their rights responsibly.
    Last edited by sniper58; August 15th, 2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: add
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Kill someone. Go to juvenile detention for nine months (maybe.) Sounds like justice to me.

That child should never have had access to a rifle. The parents should be held equally culpable. But, but...he took a class when he was nine!

That's good enough for me.

No winners in any corner here...several families ruined.

Stay armed...know your target...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm sorry, but I managed to make it through 14 without killing anybody. My trick was not shooting at vague movements. Definitely the parents should bear some of the blame here, but you can't just get away with this.

VIP Member
    On another note - is .270 at 120 yards a bear cartridge? I'm not a big game hunter, but this seems like too little rifle...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Lead Moderator
    Proper training or parental supervision might have helped, but it's hard to fix inexperience coupled with poor judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    On another note - is .270 at 120 yards a bear cartridge? I'm not a big game hunter, but this seems like too little rifle...
    .270 should be enough given proper bullet placement.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Hunters and Hikers don't mix. When I hunted on public land I was always uncomfortable. I only did that for one season, but was required to wear a minimum amount of hunter orange. I am pretty certain that any non hunters had the same requirement. I was never unsure of myself identifying a target but had no confidence on any other hunters that might have been out there.

only 9 months for voluntary manslaughter,you take a life through extreme negligence and the max you get is 9 months,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A teenage hunter acted recklessly when he fatally shot an Oso woman on a popular hiking trail ...
    'Nuff said.

There is a wide difference between a BB gun and a .270 rifle. And no comparison between hunting for bear in the wilds and going down a "popular hiking trail" in search of general movement. (Hard to tell from the spartan descriptions in the articles, but the result seems to speak for itself.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    A 270 is more than enough to handle a black bear if shot placement is anywhere it needs to be. It is the same case and only .30 under a 30-06.
    As for the blue rain coat? Itís been said there was fog in the area at the time and it would have looked black or very dark.
    Still tragic; but people do stupid things.

Further Update on Hiker/Hunter Shooting: 14-year-old charged with manslaughter

14-year-old WA hunter charged with manslaughter

Local News | 14-year-old WA hunter charged with manslaughter | Seattle Times Newspaper

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. —
    The Skagit County prosecutor has filed a first-degree manslaughter charge against the 14-year-old bear hunter accused of fatally shooting a hiker.

The charge against Tyler J. Kales of Concrete, Wash., was filed Friday in Skagit County Juvenile Court. If convicted, he could be jailed until the age of 21.

On Aug. 2, 54-year-old Pamela Almli was shot and killed on a popular hiking trail north of Seattle. She was the first nonhunter killed by a hunter in the state in more than 25 years.

Skagit County Prosecutor Rich Weyrich said the teen failed to follow guidelines in the state's hunting safety manual, including being sure of a target and what lies beyond it.

While hunting on Sauk Mountain, Kales and his 16-year-old brother saw what they thought was a bear from more than 100 yards away, according to charging papers. Visibility was limited by heavy fog.

Kales told sheriff's Deputy Theresa Luvera that he watched the target through his rifle scope for a few minutes, the charging papers said.

He told his brother, "It's a bear, it's a bear," and "I've got my cross hairs on it." He shot one time with a Tikka .270 rifle at "the bear" and saw it disappear.

The charging papers note that the Washington state hunters guide states a hunter should never use a telescopic site to identify a target. Hunters are supposed to use binoculars first, then the rifle scope.

After Kales fired, the teens went to find the bear, but they found instead a person lying on the ground, court documents said. They ran to the parking area to get help from a relative who was sitting in his vehicle. He drove partway down the mountain to get a cell signal and called his wife and asked her to report the shooting.

Kales' lawyer, Roy Howson of Mount Vernon, told the Skagit Valley Herald he had not seen the official charging documents Friday afternoon and that the boy's family did not want to comment. When The Associated Press called his office, the woman who answered the phone said Howson had left for a two-week vacation.

"They're having a very, very hard time, and they feel for what the Almlis are going through and are going through their own pain," Howson told the Herald. "From everybody's viewpoint, it's really a tragedy, and the young man's family is really broken up."
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Links