Driving hit and run: what to do?

This is a discussion on Driving hit and run: what to do? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not a gun question, but a defensive driving question. My girlfriend was hit from behind while stopped at a red light. She's uninjured and the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving hit and run: what to do?

Not a gun question, but a defensive driving question. My girlfriend was hit from behind while stopped at a red light. She's uninjured and the car is undamaged, but it hit hard enough that her car hit the next car forward.

The guy just drove off, and she didn't chase him. My question: would you pursue if you were run into and the guy drove off, assuming your car is functional?

My thinking is probably better not -- feels too much like looking for a fight. Is pursuit reasonable in this scenario?

Administrator
    What do you mean by "pursuit"? When I hear that, I'm thinking Steve McQueen type stuff... If so, absolutely not.

Would I follow to get a plate at a safe and reasonable speed following traffic law? You bet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    ...and a call to the cops to report the event, so the other guy doesn't report YOU as the one who hit him and took off.

get the plate, description of vehicle, driver and last known direction of travel. Sad thing is in most states you'll be responsible for your own car's damage until (if) they catch the coward...and a good chance he ran because he was uninsured, wanted on warrant(s), had a suspended license....
    Your insurance company will sue and some day you might recieve the check for the deductable you just paid...but if (and when) your insurance rates go up you'll still be paying more.

never fun.

Try to get a plate number and notify leo but don't pursue at high speeds or in a dangerous way ,you create a traffic accident where somebody gets seriously injured or killed you will become not only charged in criminal court but civil court as well
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think this is in the damn if you do, damn if you don't category. If you take off after the guy...wouldn't that be leaving the scene of an accident? The hard part is collecting your wits about you after being rear and front ended. I believe I would stay there, write down (not try to remember later) all the details of the runner (car type (SUV, truck, 4 door, wheels, any distinguishing marks, color, doubt you will see the license plate, person(s) in the car, direction of travel...call it in. Then, I would check to see if there were any witnesses and get their name and number.

Rick

You would absolutely be leaving the scene of a crash in which you were involved. There are some jurisdictions that won't take the totality of the circumstances into account when stringing you up by your toenails. And, as been said, from the viewpoint of the person who was rammed into by you, you'd be the one fleeing, the one reported, and the one on his heels forced to refute the legitimate claims made against you.

Beyond that, you'd be chasing a fleeing felon, someone who has it in his best interest to shake you ... no matter what it costs you. Think about that for a moment.

My choice: Get the license plate of the fleeing felon, if able. Ensure other witnesses stick around to tell the true story, to ensure that the person you rammed isn't the only story in the game. Call police for assistance.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks, everyone. Sixto's clarification of not making a chase to rival Bullit is smart. It seems to me like it's really not worth potentially being charged with leaving the scene of an accident over it. Maybe keep a digital camera handy instead to get pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Not a gun question, but a defensive driving question. My girlfriend was hit from behind while stopped at a red light. She's uninjured and the car is undamaged, but it hit hard enough that her car hit the next car forward.
    This is a felony??? Leaving the scene?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Beyond that, you'd be chasing a fleeing felon, someone who has it in his best interest to shake you ... no matter what it costs you. Think about that for a moment.

My choice: Get the license plate of the fleeing felon, if able. Ensure other witnesses stick around to tell the true story, to ensure that the person you rammed isn't the only story in the game. Call police for assistance.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarcustrucker View Post
    ...and a good chance he ran because he was uninsured, wanted on warrant(s), had a suspended license....
    You forgot to add one.

Illegal Alien
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Smile

I was hit in the rear end a couple of years ago while at a stoplight. I happen to drive a Suburban with an insert hitch and always keep an insert with 2 1/2 ball in place. The ball made it all the way to the radiator, but I hardly moved. 5,500 lbs of steel vs 2,500 lbs of rice burner.
    US Army retired (1969 - 1994)
    Vietnam 1970 - 1971

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    This is a felony??? Leaving the scene?
    In a case with injuries, fleeing the scene in Oregon is a Class C felony, yes (ORS 811.705, failing to perform duties of a driver to injured persons). In many places, it's merely a fine with potential for some short period in jail.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I know of a case where it was a "small" accident with not much damage. The two got out and talked things over. One gave the other $100 for damages and both agreed not to call the police and report it. Both drove off on their merry way. A few hours later the police showed up at the door of the fellow that had been given the $100 to arrest him for leaving the scene of an accident. It seems that the other fellow had circled the block and called the police telling a completely differently story about what had happened.

Call 911 first and report the incident. Hopefully get a good description of the vehicle. Me? I'm one of those spur of the moment types...I might give chase, and I might not (to get the tag number and direction of travel if nothing else). A girl, alone, unarmed...probably best not. Even though we seldom think of it, most of us carry camera phones. Sometimes I carry a digital camera with me in the vehicle....never know when you'll see that special moment. It's hard to be cognizant of the immediate tools around you when startled by something like that, but they are there nonetheless. If there is time, get tag numbers from vehicles around you at the initial accident scene for witnesses later on. Your insurance company should take care of the rest if they are worth having as an insurance company. Many cities also have cameras at intersections now mainly for traffic control. Whether they function fully is up to conjecture, but that may make the best witness for you in such a case. It is possible. Above all, try to remain calm, and work things out with the person you hit because of being hit...if you have the same insurance company, deductibles may be waived and an investigation that much more imminent.

Administrator
    No, it is not leaving the scene in this type of situation!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links