Russia back on it's feet? New Cold War?????

This is a discussion on Russia back on it's feet? New Cold War????? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been thinking, that usually only gets me in trouble, this was even mentioned on the news, only once that I heard it, so I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russia back on it's feet? New Cold War?????

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar

Russia back on it's feet? New Cold War?????

I've been thinking, that usually only gets me in trouble, this was even mentioned on the news, only once that I heard it, so I'm not alone. With Russia, or the Former USSR or what ever you want to call it flexing it's muscle invading Georgia, and seemingly regaining it's feet after the collapse, could we face another cold war? After all, this seems to signal that they are strong enough or at least think they are to get back to their old tricks.

Anyway, just curious what everyone thinks, and will it effect you in any way.

Oh yeah, thinking about this made me break out my copy of Red Dawn over the weekend. Got to Love that movie.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

quite possibly. i've been hearing this discussion alot at work seeing how my unit is currently pulling the GRF mission. also been thinking about the cyber attack that preceded the invasion. thats a very bad sign. might just buy a bunch more ammo for home.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Russia (formerly USSR) never really changed. The Soviet goverment collapsed, but those in power never really changed. They just had to allow some changes because they couldn't afford not to.

The Ruskies are back.....there's money flowing, thier 'hard-liners' are ramping up thier positions within the goverment and making a 'statement' with thier actions in Georgia.

Another Cold War? Maybe, but it won't be what it was........this is something kinda new......but it'll be another 'round-about' Cold War me thinks.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Dangerous dude, that Putin.

They are back on their feet. Have oil money, and want to rebuild their empire.

They have also noted that our economy is relatively weak, our forces otherwise occupied if not depleted, and that our civil society is fragile.

Putin will likely be a huge danger to his neighbors and us for the next 20-30 years.

He is deliberately scaring the h out of The Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, which he perceives as having been taken from Russia; and which we perceive as having been captured (in the Soviet era) by Russia. The Russian have been conducting cyber warfare against Estonia for quite some time now. They are aggressive, and we are all in trouble.

WOLVERINES !!!

Sorry I couldn't resist.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Well George Will, whom I rarely agree with 100% of but does have some very valid points, had some interesting comments on this very situation on a Sunday morning news/talk show.

His comments were basically, that no Russia will not engage in another "Cold War" with the west. They do have heaps of money coming in from natural gas and oil production, but their population is declining. The only major industrialized nation with a declining population. They will do whatever they can to keep the spin off countries from siding with the western world. But basically this is going to be a test of NATO, that almost forgotten group of countries that was once allied against the former Soviet Union. Either NATO will again rise up and take these fledgeling countries in, or NATO will disappear into nothing. This will be the true test to counter the rising Russian nation. If NATO doesn't regroup and take measures to stop the Russian interference with emerging democracies, then there is no telling what lies in the future for that region.

That could be a real problem, much worse than what we have been dealing with for the last several years.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

1943 - 2009
    Cold war? How about a hot war? The most frightening things to me about Russia are this: Who has control of their nukes? Who has their finger on the launch button? Who knows how many nuclear weapons they really have?

These are the questions that bother me. I probably don't want to know the answers...

Then there's the problem of Ivan's deteriorating nuclear submarine fleet.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

After hundreds of years of indoctrination, the Russians are simply wired differently than the west. Putin may want to rebuild the USSR and restore Russia's place in the world, but the Russians honestly believe that they are doing the right thing, and see a parallel between what they are doing in Georgia and what the United States and NATO have done in Kosovo and Iraq. They feel they are stepping in to do an acceptable regime change. They see statements like us saying we won't send military to protect Georgia as a hidden message to say "it's okay, go ahead". Though their actions may be viewed as malicious, they feel they were doing good, and even the United States is sypathetic for Moscow, even though we must stand by the democratic state of Georgia.

As far as flexing their muscles to show they can compete with the west... Nah, maintaining nuclear weapons costs a LOT of money that they are spending elsewhere (like retooling their military), and although they are trying to upgrade their conventional arms, the lions share of their massive fleet of tanks, naval warships, and aircraft are obsolete and/or broken down. The limitation of their mechanized military is shown by how much hell the Georgians gave their tanks. What was it, 40 destroyed? We didn't lose 1 during the invasion of Iraq (except a few broken down).

Anyone else think the REAL threat against the West is Iran's combination of nuclear proliferation and developing "space program"?

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Anyone else think the REAL threat against the West is Iran's combination of nuclear proliferation and developing "space program"?
    Nope.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Trying to convince the Russian citizens that the billions they are spending on the military is justified when the economics in Russia are so bad........ you know.... that "aggressive Georgian state that wants to over-run Russia... with backing by the evil United States ".

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Russia's been making a comeback for the past few years. From what I've heard, they have started running bombers at the Eastern Seaboard again in addition to lots of other little things. They also held the LARGEST live-fire exercise in the history of the USSR or Russia last Summer, I believe. Location? Bay of Biscay. It was when they were having issues with English diplomats. Kaliningrad has seen a MAJOR military resurgence. They've also restarted their version of the Boy Scouts...which is actually closer to Hitler Youth (they learn to drive tanks, refuel aircraft, etc). There's some bad juju over there. My former roommate is fluent in Russian and used to read ITAR-TASS and Pravda everyday. Their Russian websites and TOTALLY different from the English language ones and some of the things you read are really scary and inflammatory.

I'm not about to say they are going to invade the US or anything but I wouldn't be surprised if Georgia is just used as a test-bed for further invasions. From what I hear, because of the Gerogian invasion, the Ukraine has denied the Russians use of Sevestopol - which is the base for the Black Sea Fleet. Denial of that? Plus their continued dabbling in local politics? Prime for an invasion.

Say what you want about the quality of these people or their military. Their missile technology is extremely good. Their fighter aircraft might be a generation behind but their maneuverability characteristics and sensor systems are top-notch and better than our own in some cases. We all know how good the AK is. Their tanks are decent and have pioneered some very interesting systems. And I'm not talking about this stuff in past-tense. I mean now. Post Cold War. Hell, we're still working on BMD systems and the Russians have their S-300 series which can knock down plenty.

There's nothing new about the Russians being like this. And another poster is right.. Communism fell officially nearly 20 years ago. But Soviet Premier Putin is still in charge. Hell.. look at what the man did before the fall of the USSR!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    It's classic Orwell, the Russian Leadership needs to give their citizens an external enemy to justify their return to power. I guess while Bush looked into Putin's eyes and saw his soul, Putin was thinking here's my scapegoat.
    The question now is can we rise to the occasion like we did in the cold war, or are we just a shadow of our former selves.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

This might be interesting to those who have followed the issue. This is a website for Russian news in English. It's amazing what they are saying over there, and it appears that our once tame democratic friend is continuing an age-old hard-liner foreign policy. Check it out, same stories as CNN or BBC, different spin.

Pravda.Ru: Russian news and analysis

Holy cow they know about "popcorn".Seriously I think these guys think we have our hands full in the Middle East so they think all our response will be is verbal,with our intent to put a missile defense system in poland they may look at it like we did in the 60's during the cuban missile crisis when we were close to pushing the button but Russia and Cuba backed down.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    ...these guys think we have our hands full in the Middle East so they think all our response will be is verbal...
    They'd be right, on both counts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links