Anyone know how to catch a cat?

This is a discussion on Anyone know how to catch a cat? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A wild cat dropped a litter in my parents back yard a while back, and we found two that must have gotten lost or couldn't ...

A wild cat dropped a litter in my parents back yard a while back, and we found two that must have gotten lost or couldn't keep up in the yard. We found homes for those two kittens, but another one, presumably from the same litter (age and location consistent) has been hanging around lately. Do y'all know how to catch a wild cat? We could use a mascot at the new house.

if you want to lure from the backyard to the house the best thing to do it with is a stick or a toy like stick with something loose at the end and wiggle it back and forth...cats love to follow those type of toys, where you could easily lure back into the house. Once it's there food and milk or water.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    If you feed them, they will come.

Try small cans of food, and watch to see if it comes to eat, Once it's used to the food and location, stay outside and see if it will come close while you are there. You'll be on the home stretch to acclimating it to people and a new home at that point. I'd stay away from a cage, might scare him to bad. Just my .02
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member

Food works!!!!!!!

We had a stray that hung out at our place a couple of years ago. We fed him once. Then again, and he's still here. He now has a little house out front and runs to see me when I arrive home.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

JD
    Administrator
    One word: TUNA

When you see the cat around, just open a can and leave it on the back porch.

Get one of the carriers, with a cage door on the end and a handle on top. Just put some food inside and close the door when the cat's eating. Then off you go.

We had a big problem with feral cats in our neighborhood and trapped 22 of them that way. We became regulars at the vet for the spaying/neutering operations. No new kittens in the neighborhood now.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

The word of the week is SLOW. Go really slow in trying to catch the little guy and you will be successful. Go too fast and you're sure to miss him and make him wary of you. And he won't go away if you scare him.

Food/water in a dish and walk away. In a day or 2 put a cage/carrier near the food and walk away but be visible. Then open the door to the carrier in a couple of days and remain visible. Then put the food in the carrier at the opening for a few days and sit where you've been visible. Then put the food in the back of the carrier for a week and start moving closer. Then sit and put the food in the carrier and stay nearby when he's eating. Close the door once kitty goes inside.

If it happens again, get the kittens into a tall cage that momma can't get them out of yet still has free access to them. As the kittens grow they'll get used to you and momma will eventually accept you if you continue to interact with the kittens prior to weaning. Follow the same food/water steps as above and you can catch mommacat even if she's feral.

And, by the way, get them all spayed/neutered!!
    Cheers,
    Rod

Being deathly allergic to cats, I've found a good way to attract them is to stick an allergic person in the suspected vicinity of the cat. The cat will come.

:)

-JT

While not exactly cheap, if you're going to live in the country, one of these is worth the investment. Can't tell you how many feral cats I've trapped with this.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    While not exactly cheap, if you're going to live in the country, one of these is worth the investment. Can't tell you how many feral cats I've trapped with this.

Hoss
    That's great until you catch a skunk!
    Cheers,
    Rod

Links