Security Based Home Design

This is a discussion on Security Based Home Design within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well Guys- I want to gather some information. I am starting to plan my dream house, it will be built out on our family farm. ...

Thread: Security Based Home Design

Well Guys-

I want to gather some information.

I am starting to plan my dream house, it will be built out on our family farm.

I want to incorporate a lot of energy effiency, self suffiency, and security principles into my design. I have looked into ICF's and the home will most likley be built from those.

I had thought about ICF walls, shed style roof earth bermed on 3 sides with passive solar heating, I had even thought of using something like Lite-Deck and complely burrying the house on all but the south facing wall, but I was worried about radon buildup and venting.

I want to incorporate a "walk-in gun safe/safe room" in the basement, concrete on all sides and a concrete roof, plumbed, electric and data connections with a vault door.

I also want to build the house "smart" so I can gain some effiency and convience, as well as security (one button turns on every light in the house) etc.

Other than an earth sheltered or earth bermed house I had thought about a "Spanish Villa" style home with a courtyard, that way I could ultimatley have a truly secure exterior with a heavy entry gate.

I have a strong architectural background and will probably design the home myself and have a professional architect sign off on the plans and check them over.

Anyway enough rambling I am just gathering ideas and get some brainstorming going, suggestions, and links to good reading or floor plans and building materials are greatly appreciated.

I would plan on hiring a programmer and utilizing a good control system...

AMX or CRESTRON are the two biggies... each controller will run 2-3K plus programming costs on WHAT you want to control...

ANything which has an RS-232/422 or 485 connection, ethernet or IR can be controlled....

There is a starting point for you...

Mike A!

Administrator
    Masonry!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Resources from an expert

Good book on secure room design: How to Implement a High Security Shelter in the Home. I think the book would be worth your bucks and his new prices beat Amazon's used prices.

He also wrote another book, The Secure Home, which I haven't seen but which looks like a goldmine resource for your project. The table of contents is on his site. Here's the blurb from his site:
    Sooner or later in this trouble world, everyone is going to need some form of security and self-sufficiency in their home. Joel has designed high security homes and retreats for clients for over 25 years and offers lots of practical ideas for remodeling and new construction. Check out his 700 page how-to manual, The Secure Home. It covers everything from A-Z in security and self-sufficiency. Walk through Joel's process for analyzing your home's needs. Check out your options. His multi-use, in-house high security shelter designs are one of his most important contributions to high security architecture.
    Finaly, an Amazon search on "Joel Skousen" also found a $10 used copy of The Survival Home, which I would jump on.

I've met Mr. Skousen (he spoke to a small group I was with, preparing for Y2K). He's a bit on the wild-eyed crazy side of the bell curve as viewed from where I am... but it's also possible he's dead center where one should be and I'm too far on the complacent side. He's highly qualified in designing high-security homes, and has really done his homework. You have to decide how much of his presuppositions to adopt, but should you decide to make home security a priority his work is outstanding.

"I want to incorporate a "walk-in gun safe/safe room" in the basement, concrete on all sides and a concrete roof, plumbed, electric and data connections with a vault door."

Plumbing in a basement vault could cause some problems. Better to have a few cases of water on hand.

Make sure there is some type of hydraulic or other mechanical device in the room that will force the door open in case of a structural collapse.......

Just hire Burt Gummer to design it.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

If I design a courtyard or atrium style home in the Eichler style how in the hell do I drain rain water from the center atrium away from the home?

See this link for the plans I am thinking about http://www.eichlersocal.com/floorplans/FPindex1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Just hire Burt Gummer to design it.
    Why the things he designs cant even stand up to tremors........

BIG MOAT filled with hungry gators and high turrets. Turrents are needed to mount the solar panels to and the gators to help with the garbage disposal.

If money were no object I would build over the top of this. F-5 Storm Shelters - Mega Shelter Pics
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Built mine with ICFs. NUDURA Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF) - Welcome to Nudura.com I have 4 inch concrete core but you can get 6in. but that is usually commercial.

Please keep us updated...this si somethin gI'd like to do once I retire, many moons from now....;-)
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Links