I'm going deer hunting!

This is a discussion on I'm going deer hunting! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sorry, its probably no big deal to a lot of you guys, but I've never had the chance to take a deer. I've gone with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm going deer hunting!

Administrator

I'm going deer hunting!

Sorry, its probably no big deal to a lot of you guys, but I've never had the chance to take a deer. I've gone with a handgun when I was a kid, but never saw anything. My land access and interest went away over the years.

Fast forward about 15 years or so, I've discovered that my family still owns a large "farm" in the hills of Kentucky.... So I'm going with my uncle. We have also discovered grouse when scouting, both of us are avid bird hunters, he is a deer hunter as well... this fall is going to be fun!

Today I got out my deer rifle that I bought years ago just in case... a 30-06 Weatherby. What a nice rifle, I had forgotten how nice it was. I put an older Pentax scope on it that I had laying around when I bought it... I think I'll have to buy another, everything has a yellow tint when looking through it, kinda like a smokers windshield.

Anyway, I'm rambling now... I can't wait to do some more scouting this weekend if the ball and chain lets me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Way to go, Sixto! What a great "discovery". How come I never discover anything like that?

Oh, yeah, a "nice" little rifle? OMG, a 30 ought six Weatherby?!!! Yeah, that oughta git-er-done.

Go for a good scope that really gathers light well. I like Leupold and Nikon. A 3 x 9 is a good all-around choice.

You are going to have a great time, and I'm sure you'll get no small number of pointers from everyone here. Keep us posted on your preparations and scouting. You know, you've gotta collect that deer urine to put on your boots . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Lead Moderator
    Congrats on the opportunity to deer hunt. Sometimes I forget how lucky I am that I live only minutes from miles and miles of state land and can hunt whenever the seasons are open.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Cool. I had to use a borrowed rifle for my first/only deer hunt. I was very grateful to be invited, though, because the guy who owned the land doesn't let anyone but there but himself and his sons (one of whom has been my best friend since 3rd grade). Anyhow, the guy gives me a lever action 30-30 and says the scope was dead on last time he used the rifle about 15-20 years ago. Just to be sure, he told me to check it by holding it real steady on something and look through the scope at something, then look through the iron sights and see if I'm still on target. Nice.

But I kept my mouth shut out of gratitude and in the am I was off to his deer blind. A doe appeared behind a hill less than 20 yards out, perfect broadside presentation. I aimed for the shoulder and she crumbled, tried to get up once then was absolutely still. I waited for 20 minutes before going to check on her, and when I did she was done. I managed to sever her spine weel behind and above my point of aim..pure luck. Point of impact was off by about 18 inches at 20ish yards. The guy spent plenty of time consoling me about my bad shooting and telling me that with practice and experience I'll get better. It couldn't have been his rifle, because he zeroed it himself and left it kicking around in a soft case for 20 years. Besides, he told me how to check the zero, so if I did that, then we know it was the shooters' fault.

Oh well, the guy and his wife were great hosts and even fed me for the 2 days I was there, and I got my deer. I got a lot of looks with this thing on the roof of my Ford Focus. I had to stare at her head for 3 hours to get home, and she tricked blood all down my windshield. She made some great chili and sloppy joes, though.

Have fun, and good luck.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Good for you. I am all set to go as well. This year I got to get with Friends and get it done.

Senior Moderator
    Hey good for you SIXTO! Although I have to say I'm a little disappointed you're not using one of your Sig 228s for the hunt.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Administrator
    Great news SIXTO. Good Luck and good hunting to you.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Hey good for you SIXTO! Although I have to say I'm a little disappointed you're not using one of your Sig 228s for the hunt.
    I dont think thats legal... But, I have been looking at some nice lever actions. Its a perfect excuse to buy one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Welcome to the club, SIXTO.

I carry a Winchester 70 in .300WinMag; there is no telling how many times I've been told that it's overkill for our small eastern whitetail; I've never had one run more than 10 yards after the boom from that rifle.

But, I'm intent on taking an animal or two with my 1911 this year.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Well when I can use my FAL for deer hunting I use a Winchester Model 70 7mm Rem Mag.

I am sure you are going to have a blast
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    I've found a few older Remington 740/2's... interesting...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Good luck on the hunt, Ive been hunting deer for 30 years and
    let me tell you I have just as much or more fun setting around
    the deer camp than actually hunting!
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've found a few older Remington 740/2's... interesting...
    742 is what I use, great little gun for deer/hogs
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Moderator
    I've got the newer version, the 7400 in 30.06 that I have whacked lots of deer with.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I love to Bambi-slam,308 works for me 150g, get at least 1 or 2 deer each yr. Can't carry while you hunt up here not even if you are a LEO. The EPO's think they're god. Hints for good steaks, spend as much time in the woods as possible. Sun up to sun down stay in the WOODS don't come out for lunch or rain, you can't kill it if your not in it. PS make sure you sight in your sweet find!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links