Update of Events

Update of Events

This is a discussion on Update of Events within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; New update on events happening I am engaged to my fiancee now and the date of the wedding is going to be June 29, 2009 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update of Events

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

Update of Events

New update on events happening I am engaged to my fiancee now and the date of the wedding is going to be June 29, 2009 in TX. I will be running around all day that day in my uniform cause that is the day I graduate college and also thats when she pins 2nd lt on me and she becomes a officer's wife and attends her first Military Dining Out in the Air Force. So I am going to be doing some flying. Does any AD people know if I can fly in my blues or do I have to fly in Civ clothes then change back into blues right before the wedding? I have just been told my possible jobs thanks to my degree are going to be either Security forces or Intel. My dream sheet has a couple of bases I put down DM in AZ, Hickam, Germany, Japan and Lackland in no specific order. I am hoping to get Lackland so she can be close to her family.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I believe you can fly in blues (haven't travelled in uniform in a while). However, depending on flight times and how crowded the aircraft might be you may be better off in civies to keep the uniform from getting wrinkled.

Congrats, on getting married, graduating college, and becoming an LT.

Good luck with it all as well.

Congrats!! My last 2 years in the AF was at Cornell U at a ROTC det. Taught drill and ceramonies. Have a few silver dollars hanging on my I LUV Me wall. Good luck and best wishes.

BEWARE THE GROG BOWL
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Congratulations on everything! Sounds awesome! Lackland sounds like the most peaceful place to be as well out of those you mentioned.
    Things change, and I've been out of the loop for quite some time. Also, former Marine here. On civilian flights, we were allowed to wear our 'Alpha' uniforms (or dress greens I guess you could call them), but not our dress blues. The dress blue uniform was reserved for parade or duty calls,(ship station or Admiral's staff, honorable functions, parade, and funeral, etc...). Not sure this etiquette even goes for all branches of service. Last time I took a civilian flight on Uncle Sam's tab was close to 1985.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Hummm...just about a year from now...lots of things can happen in between. I'd wait a bit as I am sure your answer will become more clearer as you get closer to graduation. My advice (given with many years in the service) is focus on graduating...and not put the cart before the horse.

Rick

I already have 115 credit hrs and I only need 5 more credit hrs and then I have my bachlors finished by Dec. Then I will have to wait until June cause thats the next time they graduate again and the next commissioning dining out. So until then I am assigned to my ROTC Det at my college so.

Yes you can fly in blues. I wouldn't recommend flying in your service dress (with the jacket). I'm assuming that since you're putting on 2nd LT that you will be wearing the standard clothing sales ribbon rack, from personal experience they can and will rip the inner lining of your jacket if you aren't lucky.

Go intel, you'll probably have more fun and feel more rewarded. Most of the SF officers I have met end up very disgruntled. Also, try to go overseas while you're young and can enjoy it, there will be plenty of time later to enjoy closer to home.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by A1C Lickey; August 22nd, 2008 at 01:14 AM. Reason: To add more information.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Why would you not reccomend flying in service dress W/ Jacket. I got a aftermarket ribbon rack and I put a piece of cardboard between pins and jacket itself. I will prob go Intel and then travel but I will have a wife to think about also and with the deployments I want her to be near family either hers or mine just in case something happens

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    Does any AD people know if I can fly in my blues or do I have to fly in Civ clothes then change back into blues right before the wedding? I have just been told my possible jobs thanks to my degree are going to be either Security forces or Intel.
    Active duty personnel flying INCONUS can/may wear thier dress uniforms. It is 'advised' to wear civies 'just because'......but I discovered early on that many people will 'help' out a service member with thier beverage of choice while flying.
    Bless the hearts of those who support thier country's troops!

If my (and yours I'd imagine) travels take me outside CONUS (international) then uniforms are prohibited unless specifically directed by your job duties, orders, etc. (example: embassy duty).

I think your gonna be OK in your uniform in and out of Texas!

Congrats on your upcoming marriage and commision!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Traveling in your dress blues is not a problem, I think what A1C Lickey was referring to was Service Mess Dress. Although I don't know of a restriction on it, that uniform is not really designed for general wear and travel.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Good to hear you have a light class load your final year, but your most important ROTC classes happen in the final semester. Those are the ones that get you ready to go active duty and will answer most of your questions.

As far as traveling in class As, it's been over 15 years since I got out so I don't know if the regs have changed since 9/11. If you have the choice I would wear civies if you can. It's so uncomfortable traveling in class As, plus trying to keep the uniform looking good can be a pain.

As far as your duty assignments go,,,good luck. If your future wife is insisting that you try to get stationed stateside near her family, I would suggest you sit down with her and have a long talk about the future. She may not be ready to leave the nest and going overseas is about as far from the nest as you can get. Your chances of getting those stateside bases are very slim. The needs to the Air Force come first, if they need you overseas, pack your bags your going. They will look at your dreamsheet to see if they need you at the bases you listed, if so they will send you to a base you listed.

I used to give this advice to all the cadets and I'll pass it on to you also. You WILL be going overseas in your military career. You are better off volunteering and picking an assignment where you can take your wife with you. If you don't and you try to stay stateside you will still have to go overseas sometime and the AF will TELL you where to go. Most likely it will not be a good assignment and it will be UNACCOMPANIED, that means a year or two separated from the wife. The people with no overseas time in their records are higher on the list for remote unaccompanied assignments. So by taking the accompanied overseas long tour you get your name off the short list for crap assignments. Unless things have changed there are not a lot of stateside bases with Intel offices, most of those are at overseas bases, so make the best of it and go where you want to go and not where the AF wants send you.

If you go to the base personnel office at the AF base nearest you they should be able to help you pick some bases. Give them your career field and they should be able to give you a personnel forecast for every AF base so you can see if there are going to be opennings in say Ramstein AB Germany or Aviano Italy.

Sorry for being long winded, if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Good Luck
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

The only prob is they might make you disrobe because of all the brass. I've seen it before and it "riles" one greatly.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Traveling in your dress blues is not a problem, I think what A1C Lickey was referring to was Service Mess Dress. Although I don't know of a restriction on it, that uniform is not really designed for general wear and travel.

I understand not to travel in the Service Mess Dress because it is suppose to be my formal fuction uniform. I talked to soon to be wife and she is excited about me putting in to go to Italy so time to go back and redo my dreamsheet. I understand about the need to get a tour overseas out of the way first and so. I think South Korea is a 2 yr accompained tour so I might put in for there. I am just trying to keep her in a spot where she is comfortable. She told me she is ok with us going overseas just as long as I am there she doesn't care where we get stationed. I hope they don't make me take off my uniform cause in that cause the airline won't be too happy to hear from a LT in the air force I can promise you that.
    Last edited by XD 45; August 22nd, 2008 at 12:30 PM.

Just found out friday I was accepted into the Intel Career field and so now I might be watching you.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    Just found out friday I was accepted into the Intel Career field and so now I might be watching you.
    Congrats...a great career field (they all are). But, at the risk of sounding condescending...let me give you a bit of advice:

1) Because you are a 2Lt...you are not godlike (re: the airline comment). In actuality/reality...you are just above a private.

2) Keep your eyes and ears open...and the mouth shut. You will go a long way with this advice...especially as a butter bar.

3) Your Chief/1st Shirt is your mother and father...latch on to them as them mentoring you...not the other way around.

4) A true leader is not the rank on their shoulder...the enlisted force will teach you how to be a leader...think about that statement for a moment because you won't get it as a butter bar...but you will later. And this is stated regardless if you are prior enlisted or not...because I have seen bad enlisted to officers as well...mostly because they let their officership go to their head.

Oh, I can think of another hundred things to pass on...humility and humbleness notwithstanding. But they will come in time with maturity.

Best wishes on your commissioning...and don't do what my son did...forget to state his name when I gave him the oath of office.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links