Macs Anyone?

This is a discussion on Macs Anyone? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey Bud, I don't know if you'd be interested in refurbished computers, but Apple has a bunch of them here on their website. They have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macs Anyone?

VIP Member
    Hey Bud,
    I don't know if you'd be interested in refurbished computers, but Apple has a bunch of them here on their website. They have laptops, eMacs, Mac Minis, iMac G5s, and a G5 tower. They do have warranties.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson
    Bought my first Mac in 1984 (I still have it in a box someplace, makes a great bookend). Far cry from that 4 Mhz, 128k black and white machine (with a 10MB external drive - which was big stuff back then) to my current machine (Dual 2.7 G5, 2.5Gb RAM, 23" ACD).
    I also got a 128 Mac, April 1984. I still have it (but not the box), just seems to cute to get rid of. Might have to power it up and play with Macpaint!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by JT

Now thats funny

Sounds like i should just pic up a processor i dont need a whole lot more it seem to be working well but slows down some times with photoshop and soem other programs and im maxed out on memery...

Unless there is some setting im missing to speed up the mac

Assistant Administrator
    Don't know Macs Bud but - processor speed ain't the whole deal - at least on IBM's it ain't.

Maybe if a compatible mobo available that could help but - so many things can bottleneck efficiency. Cache sizes, bus speeds, even simple protocols.

I'd be inclined to do some surfing and see what is out there and at what price - could just be time to go mad and upgrade whole deal.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Could be Chris i dont know if they make replacable motherboards for macs like they do for pc's ... i dont want to blow a lot of money either that why i figured i ask someone might have a idea

DC Founder
    I am strictly an Intel/AMD processor guy, but I have an apple tree in my back yard......
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Don't know Macs Bud but - processor speed ain't the whole deal - at least on IBM's it ain't.
    With Macs its even moreso than IBMs ... keep in mind that the MacMini is only 1.25ghz and G3, G4 and G5 processors have been running lower ghz than Intel/AMD processors for some time now.*

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I am strictly an Intel/AMD processor guy...
    Apple is moving to Intel for processors ... in fact hacked copies of the beta of the next version of OSX will run on your Intel box now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    i have to many acc i run to us the mac many so thats out for me i got 3 hard drives etcetc
    What is the total GB of all those drives? You can get a 250GB Lacie that will plug into a mini with a single firewire cable for about $150 (and Lacie makes one thats the same size and shape as the Mini for an extra $20).

As for the other stuff, you can get ADB to USB converters and a nice USB hub for all those.

* on a side note, my little 1.25ghz/512MB RAM Mac Mini runs Photoshop and InDesign as fast and smooth the 3.3ghz P4 (w/1GB RAM) Windows machine I run at work.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Could be Chris i dont know if they make replacable motherboards for macs like they do for pc's ... i dont want to blow a lot of money either that why i figured i ask someone might have a idea
    Bud, Never seen replacement motherboards for a Mac, just the CPU daughter boards. That's what I did to my 8600, swapped out the old CPU for a G3, or maybe it was a G4, I can't remember right now.

It did make quite an inprovement the speed of Photoshop though.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links