Macs Anyone?

Macs Anyone?

This is a discussion on Macs Anyone? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Im running a older G3 300mhz well i guess you would say dark ages g3..lol.. So is it better off to pick up a used ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macs Anyone?

Macs Anyone?

Im running a older G3 300mhz well i guess you would say dark ages g3..lol..

So is it better off to pick up a used G4 or buy a cpu upgrade for the G3 dont know a super lot on macs for upgrades ..

So speak to me computer wizards and no i wont switch back to a pc so no point in even saying it

Just get an abacus and save yourself the trouble and expense.

ya know euc it just wouldnt do my digi pics or i would have stuck with the abacus

Administrator

Post Maybe it's just a Bad Tube Bud.

:poke:

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    :poke:

Ahh that would suck

Lead Moderator
    You could look at upgrading the processor. I kept an old 8600 alive a few extra years by putting a G3 card in it.

It sort of depends what you have in the old computer. I had a lot of extra memory and 3 hard drives in the 8600 by the time I finished. Finally traded it in on a dual processor G5 last year.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    I type this message on an older Power Mac G4 (APG graphics) running at 350 MHz. It serves my purposes so far, but I too am in the dark ages.

That said, if you have a good monitor, have you investigated upgrading to a Mac Mini? Only starting at $499 for the entry model with a 1.25 GHz processor and 40GB HD.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...8&nclm=Macmini
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I've got the little MacMini srlf linked (1.25ghz, 40GB drive, 512MB RAM).

I love the little thing ... its real quiet and runs real nice.

If you don't have a USB keyboard and mouse you'll need to buy new ones (not sure how well the old ones will work with an ADB to USB converter). Same goes for old AppleTalk printers ... although on my wife's eMac we got a parallel to USB converter so she can run her old HP printer on it.

I've been running both Macs and PCs for a long time ... and most recently switched back to a Mac from Linux for my primary desktop machine (mostly because I use Adobe software or I'd have probably stuck with Linux). But hey, OSX is BSD Unix, so there :D

For what an upgrade card would cost you could be in a MacMini ... plus processor is only part of the equation. You have hard drive speed, system bus speed, memory speed ... all of it ads up and you can stuff a pair of over-clocked G5s in your box and its still only going to run like a hot G3.

As for dark ages, my wife finaly dumped her 7500 (that we'd upgraded to a 603e @ 200mhz) for an eMac (1.25ghz G4 ... basically the same as my MacMini).

Senior Moderator
    Definately look HARD it the mini before you upgrade - there is more to life than just processor speed. Bus speeds and storage play a big role in overall system performance, and the upgrade card will not help you with these.

Best bang for the buck will be the Mac Mini.

Matt

i have to many acc i run to us the mac many so thats out for me i got 3 hard drives etcetc

JT
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

VIP Member
    My first Mac was a PowerMac 7300/200. Man, I had the coolest fastest computer than anybody in my college class.

I bought my mirror-door dual 1.25 GHz G4 / 80GB hard drive / 1.25 GB RAM a few weeks before the new G5s came out. Waah, I was really wanting a G5, but I couldn't wait any longer. I needed new computer immediately. So I bought it plus a 12" Powerbook G4 for the same price as the G5 I was looking for. Those are the two computers I'm using now - the desktop for work, and the laptop for all my personal work, including my entire image database.

My G4 might be "obsolete," but computers are only top-of-the-line for a few months until something else faster and better comes out. And my computer works great for what I use it for, anyway. I'll have it for a few more years. I do upgrades when software compatibility is becoming an issue.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    i have to many acc i run to us the mac many so thats out for me i got 3 hard drives etcetc
    Funny how those hard drives multiply, isn't it?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    My first Mac was a PowerMac 7300/200. Man, I had the coolest fastest computer than anybody in my college class.

I bought my mirror-door dual 1.25 GHz G4 / 80GB hard drive / 1.25 GB RAM a few weeks before the new G5s came out. Waah, I was really wanting a G5, but I couldn't wait any longer. I needed new computer immediately. So I bought it plus a 12" Powerbook G4 for the same price as the G5 I was looking for. Those are the two computers I'm using now - the desktop for work, and the laptop for all my personal work, including my entire image database.

My G4 might be "obsolete," but computers are only top-of-the-line for a few months until something else faster and better comes out. And my computer works great for what I use it for, anyway. I'll have it for a few more years. I do upgrades when software compatibility is becoming an issue.
    Bought my first Mac in 1984 (I still have it in a box someplace, makes a great bookend). Far cry from that 4 Mhz, 128k black and white machine (with a 10MB external drive - which was big stuff back then) to my current machine (Dual 2.7 G5, 2.5Gb RAM, 23" ACD).

Mac OS is, and always has been, Microsoft's R&D model. A couple years after a user interface concept becomes popular in Mac OS, the guys in Redmond copy it for Winblows.

Matt

Assistant Administrator
    Oh - THAT Mac !!

Here was me anticipating Bud's need to choose between a Mac 10 or Mac 11 and which uppers etc
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links